• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LOOKING FOR WW II 2 1/2 Ton OWNERS!

paulfarber

That's a nice closed cab. Can you post the frame number? It looks like that winch is added on (frame extensions looks odd, as do the front spring hangers) Also your bed does not appear to be WWII manufacturer. Does it have any data plates? Should be on the front drivers side of the bed.

Wood beds started Just a month or two before your posted date... It would be interesting to know if you have one of the last original steel beds or the should have the fist original wooden ones.

paulfarber

I really like the look of the closed cabs... kinda regret not getting one but the open cab has less hassles.

You are missing a letter after the dash. It should be either B, E, or H. Those are the variants that came with a winch from the factory.

Its also cool that you have a bed data plate. I've only seen a few. Post war bed, but looks good (I had an M36 bed for the longest time).

Cab looks good from the outside.

captain-crank

I have my first CCKW coming from out East in a couple weeks.

A '44 353-A2 with a post war steel bed.

Complete troop seats, racks and bows. Full canvas cab and cargo.

10 near new NDT's.

Fresh engine that needs installing and all the usually missing trinkets on truck are intact.

Needs a couple small items and a painting. Most likely brakes too.

Can't wait...........

paulfarber

I meant that ORIGINALLY it may have come with a composite bed. The switch back to all steel beds was late war.

Wood bed ended on Jan of 44, composite bed entered production to be replaced by bolt together (as opposed to the original welded) all steel beds. I don't have the date handy.. but early 1945 rings a bell.. the composite beds were fairly short lived, second only to the bolted steel ones.

Talking about whats on a CCKW post production is quite useless as any number of un-original combinations were produced by the nations / previous owners.

Who restores their CCKW to French or Norwegian service???? :???:

What really screwy is that the April 44 TM9-801 still used wooden beds for all the illustrations, and even the section on the bed/tailgate referred to the wooden bed... even though it would have been already out of service (production wise) for 4 months.

Last edited:

captain-crank

Who restores their CCKW to French or Norwegian service???? :???:
No one, that I'm aware of but I know of many that enjoy their truck and use it as is until it can be improved upon.
After all, it is part of it's history and heritage.

That's where we differ.

I will be using, having fun and enjoying this truck while you are busy arguing about some TM contradiction,
while seemingly still finding time to criticize people for a less than perfect rebuild/resto or a periodical that doesn't meet the Farby standards.

Until your CCKW is the utmost perfect representation you should try to be a bit more humble.

Have a good day.

paulfarber

If you paint it OD and put the National Emblem on it (as 99.9999% of the European returns are) then you should put it back to GI service. I consider it lazy, and a sign of disrespect to put the Army colors and markings on a truck that is still 99% European configuration.

My truck will be as perfect as I can make it. Anyone can buy a truck, paint it green and say its a WWII CCKW when it fact it never saw US service in that configuration. If it was as easy as picking up a JC Witney catalog then everyone would be doing it... but since anyone can buy a truck and paint it OD and put stars on it they need to be educated on what IS a CCKW as what is not. Most trucks out there are NOT...

Enjoy your new truck... you list quite a few MVs in your sig so you should know that bolting on the part is the last, and easiest part of the process... you have to find it, then make sure its the right model, then rebuild it, then you get to bolt it on.... and its a great feeling when you do.

Last edited:

guido

pictures from the outing today here in the world down under.

Attachments

paulfarber

Don't forget to look after those trunnion bearings and torque rods... esp with all the movement the rear bogey is seeing.

I have yet to see a CCKW with the mod for greasing them (the trunnion bearings).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks