• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Proud American Gun Truck Xmas lights

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
:-DThanks for posting the pic uglyranger. I tried but to no avail. Heck i just realized we dont have the door or windshield armor on!!!
DOH!!!! Better get crackin on that I guess

jatonka

Papa Bear, Thanks for the kind words, but I know, if Aces & eights had been there, doing her job, She never would have been looking this good 31 years later. She would have been gone. This whole truck is in tribute to you, The Vietnam Veterans who lost your lives, or were injured, or lost your minds, in a war that no one wanted to honor. Aces & Eights is for you. Real firepower, real patriotism.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Thanks Jatonka but just to keep the record straight, the Proud American, just like your excellent truck was built in honor of the crew who fought her. I was not there. One of our club's senior ranking members was though and after hearing the heroic stories this truck was involved in we decided she had to be brought back to life and to let her tell the story.
Nope I'm just a plain old retired Infantry "GRUNT" but I sure do like riding in those trucks!!

I'm sure you have noticed that Veterans...Vietnam or others appreciate anything done to show them a little respect and to show a little of their history.

Keep up the good work sir!!

FreightTrain

Banned
Heck,not really all that hard to build a good useable replica.Heck,you would never guess the proud american is built with 2x4s and plywood unless you looked real close.Amazing what you can make when you use your noggin.If you plan on having it outdoors a lot in the weather I would suggest square tubing frame,and thin sheetmetal welded over it to give it that thick armor plate look without the armor plate weight.Maybe one day will build me a gun truck too......hmmmm,I could use the Martyr Machine......Since the body is pretty shot on her anyway.......oh well,that will have to be a later project....I gotta get her running,get my 2 duallies running,and my wrecker running after the pickup next week.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
;-)Freighttrain...you have seen the Proud American up close and personal. Yes...her armor is plywood and 2X4's for now. There was a good reason for that. She had to roll to Pigeon Forge in August and we just never found the time to replace the plywood with armor. Guess what? A crewmember of the Proud was at PF and we had to pry him away from her to make him eat. Mission accomplished!
By the next GT rally in August she will be armored correctly and standing rock steady or my name aint papabear!:-D Guess we will have to feed the surviving members of the crew by IV next year.

FreightTrain

Banned
The Plywood armor looks outstanding.Ya'll did a hell of a job building it.Like I said,if you didn't walk up to it and tap on it,you would never guess.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
:!:Nice save Freighttrain!!!!!!!
I know you are just trying to brown nose so you can get your wrecker recovered!!!!
How do you like my shirt?:?:

Wolf.Dose

At first: Merry Chritmas!
Gun Trucks/Gun Ships:How about a photo of a APC proto which due to the law was cut and later rebeefed to the original by plywood.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks