• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M4 - track

madsam

Any one ever seen these?

M4 High-speed artillery tractor
The prototype
The M4 High Speed Tractor was developed to transport the 90-mm antiaircraftgun , the 155-mm 'Long Tom' gun and 8-inch / 240-mm howitzers. This tracked vehicle could master all kinds of terrain but it also performed well on paved roads. Depending on the towed load the M4 could reach a max. speed of 56 kmh and climb hills up to 30%. The steering is done by two handles that each influence a track. To come to a stand-still both handles have to be pulled. The crew of 10 would sit in the front compartment. The engine is in the middle of the chassis and the ammunition was stowed in the rear compartiment. A small crane to load and unload the ammunition is fitted. A 13t winch is mounted just above the tow-bar. A total of approximately 5.500 were built in between 1943-1945.

Technical specifications:
Engine:
Waukesha 145GZ or F817G, 6-cylinder gasoline,
210 bhp at 2100 rpm

Transmission: 3 speeds with torque conventer
Brakes: mechanic, towed load electric or by air pressure

Performance:
max. speed: 56 km/h
max. towing load: 17.415 kg

Attachments

L1A1

A friend of mine used to own an M4A1 (had the duck bill extenders) HST. I got to drive it around some on his farm. They were/are a lot of fun.
Matt

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks