• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35 - help me own a deuce! quick top fold-down and up

wonkknows

Hi!

Hope everyone is enjoying the holidays!

I need advice.

I finally got my wife to say yes to a M35A - (must have been all the pestering?) She said "JUST GET ONE I'M TIRED OF HEARING ABOUT THEM".

This will be my daily driver. I like to drive and enjoy my vehicle not let it sit around as an ornament.

OK - next hurdles - The area in which my wife picked a house in has the dreaded HOA and they say no trucks. (or very large pickups? I sent them a request to park one with pictures but I'm not keeping my fingers crossed) So.. it has to fit in my garage.

Solution?: Bobbed deuce to the rescue! One will actually fit in my garage length wise.

Next problem...

I rains most of the time where I live in Oregon.

I will need to fold down the windshield and top every time I enter the garage. I will need to put up the top and the windshield most every time I leave the garage. I will also be picking grade school kids - so they can't get too wet.

From what I gather the windshield is not too hard to bring up and down.

The top on the other hand is not made for quick removal or fold down.

:arrow: Has anyone had any ideas or done any mods to allow for a quick fold top?

Folding down low will be key as it will barely fit under the garage entry with the windshield folded down. I will have to reroute the exhaust under the body as well.

OK - well I am hoping for good news on this - so close to finally getting one!

Best wishes
wonk

mcmullag

Wow. I think you are in for a rude awakening.
These trucks are big and cumbersome.
It is going to be up to 48 degrees here today so I may start
mine up and cruise a little.
I store mine in a 4x4 shop's backyard.
Be very careful with these things around children.
The truck is loud and hard to see out of behind you and to the right side.
These trucks are pretty much like heavy equipment operations.
Best of luck to you but I urge you to drive somebody else's first
before you attempt to place a deuce into the lifestyle you speak of.

buccaneer

solution?

I say trade houses and get some acreage so you can park #2 and 3 and 4 and .....

Seriously, it sounds like you're talking hard top, but you might look into a soft top...

Good Luck

wonkknows

Hi mcmullag. I'm sure I will love the dang thing. I've always been that way about my vehicles. The largest vehicles I have owned were a lifted K4 with 36" tires and a dodge diesel dually 4x4.

I would consider getting a new dodge diesel truck but there are two issues. 1) no personality. 2) $40K+ :p

Very good point though. I should drive one and see about the reality of the situation. I have already worked out where I would park near the school to avoid driving it next to children.

Anyone near Portland Oregon want to let me drive their deuce?

;) wonk

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Not to ruffle any feathers, and I really hate to turn anyone away from MVs, but, a daily driver, in a neighborhood with a HOA, and you need to transport kids? I think this is a bad idea from the beginning. How old are the kids? In Ohio, untill a certain age/weight they have to be in car seats. Just not sure if you have to do this. Also fighting with neighbors can get old QUICK. I understand the draw and rationalizing, but I feel you need more thought before the trigger is pulled on this one.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm going to have to agree with Gimpy. Don't get me wrong, I like my deuce but if I had to own on in your situation it would get old fast. From what I've heard about HOAs (I have no firsthand knowledge because I refuse to live with one) you are going to have trouble even if you park in in the garage.

If I was in your shoes I'd still get the truck but I'd wait till I had enough funds to have another vehicle as a DD and find somewhere else to live ;-).

ONTOS66

Good Luck with your truck.

But ... I have to echo the previous comments regarding the practical aspects of using one as a daily driver and under the conditions that you describe. A deuce is not an economical vehicle to drive, it requires A LOT of space - to park, to garage, to turn, etc. It is not a quiet vehicle. It is not well insulated, for cold or hot climates, and does not usually include a heater. Folding the windshield, and removing the top DAILY will be a pain. Transporting kids? These truck are TALL, someone is going to have to boost them in and out unless they are teenagers.

By all means find someone in the area that owns one and get a test drive.

Good luck ..

rattlecan6104

I think everyone else is missing a huge safety point here, the garage clearance, if you have just enough room to fit the truck with the windshield down and the top off think about where your upper body is. I am mentioning this because of an incident that hapened on my base a few years back. A female sailor was driving a tow tractor (it doesnt have a cab top) and wedged it under an aircraft. It bent her over backwards and KILLED her. Her foot was still floored on the accelerator when she was found. Now think about your garage situation, not only can you kill yourself, but the frame of the house will give out, and now there is 13k pounds of unmanned raging steel going through a neighborhood. I can understand the love of an mv, but safety needs to take first and foremost priority.

hole

If you can find one to test drive, make sure you drive thru town and turn into the parking lot of super market. Now go ahead and park it , then go to the next shopping center and repeat. I LOVE my Deuce but when my D.D. was in the shop and I had to do all the daily things in my Deuce for a few days , I was ready to get my crew cab back! I live in a busy metropolitan area though, if you live in the sticks it will be easier. Good luck! If you pester your wife about moving to the country like you did for the Deuce all will be well:wink:

wonkknows

Yes - I thought about the part going in and ducking down each time. It sounds like I did not think it through properly. Guess I won't get a chance to own one of these till I get away from HOA or a place with a shop. I wasn't worried about boosting the kids in - they would love it :)

Looks like it is not a good fit at this time.

Thanks for your good advice guys. You're all swell!

wonk

davidkroberts

i have a Unimog 404. That is probably a better fit than a M35 for your situation. I drive mine almost everyday. It gets about 13 miles per gallon and cruises at 60 easily. They do come in 4 door but they are getting rare. I dont think a HOA will have much to say on them since they are essentially a big pickup truck.

There are lots more military vehicles than a M35, although they are pretty cool. Maybe you need something a bit more in the middle.

Dave in Tenn

Attachments

randyscycle

Ditto to davidkroberts.......My avatar shows my M715. It will fit in an 8ft garage door with the top on no problem. A 7ft door will clear if the top bows are removed. They are a still a pretty sizeable truck too, OD, noisy, and fun to drive around in!

The deuce is great, but it isn't a daily driver for me, and like mentioned above, in town or parking can be a bit of a challenge at times and requires a bit of thought and pre-planning for a trip. Also need to watch out for truck restrictions in some town and city streets.

I think I'd shop around for something more practical in your situation until the time is right for a deuce. Got a friend out of town or with a little property that would let you store it? That may be an option too. I'd still go drive one for fun though and see how you like it.

offroaddiesel

wonk after reading all the posts and there are a lot of good points for you to consider.so being the the nice guy i think i may have a solution for you. iam going out of my way to help you . first buy the duece and then you can store it at my house.you can vist it when you want. i will take care of it by running it when it needs it. so sleep on it and email me when the truck will be here .very nice to help you out ,steve from western maine:-D

littlebob

I think everyone else is missing a huge safety point here, the garage clearance, if you have just enough room to fit the truck with the windshield down and the top off think about where your upper body is. I am mentioning this because of an incident that hapened on my base a few years back. A female sailor was driving a tow tractor (it doesnt have a cab top) and wedged it under an aircraft. It bent her over backwards and KILLED her. Her foot was still floored on the accelerator when she was found. Now think about your garage situation, not only can you kill yourself, but the frame of the house will give out, and now there is 13k pounds of unmanned raging steel going through a neighborhood. I can understand the love of an mv, but safety needs to take first and foremost priority.
I'm glad that my son yelled for me to duck the first time I put mine in the garage. I almost got decapitated. The windshield wouldn't be a big problem, but the bows for the cover on it would.
littlebob

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks