• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep002a

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Keep it 24 volts. The charging system is set up for 24 volts, and that would be a PITA to change over, the stator for the the charging system is wound to produce the proper voltage to charge 24 volts., aside from rewinding the stator and putting a new voltage regulator on it, you would also have to re-engineer the field board because it "flashes" the field of the generator to start producing power, it get's that initial flash from the batteries, or the alternator (charging system). LEAVE IT 24 VOLTS. A pair of batteries from wally world isn't too expensive.

mangus580

There is much more than just the starter running 24v on these. I would just buy the 2 batteries. You can get civvy batteries that fit the tray... I believe I looked up the # and posted it earlier in this thread.

derf

Starter, charging system, glow plugs, electric pumps, shutdown solenoid, etc. (if applicable) are all 24V. It would probably not be cost effective to change all that for 12V operation. OTOH, it can be done. I'm pretty sure Onan made a civilian version of the 003 in 12V. I just buy two batteries.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anyone know where to get the proper slave cable bracket or the part #? Mine never had one installed, and the parts manual shows it sometimes, sometimes not, but never a part number.

I have one in the garage sitting....shoot me a PM and we can talk

PeterD

22NF is a relatively common size, I suspect Interstate does make them. Only problem for me is the lack of an Interstate dealer, I like their batteries! Personally if the batteries are primarily starting batteries, that is what you should get. Deep cycle batteries don't deliver starting currents like a regular battery does, and though you can buy 'combination' that work reasonably in both situations, I don't believe it is worth the cost. Biggest thing is just to keep them charged and they will last a long time. Let them go dead, and they deteriorate quickly.

Keith_J

Keep it 24 volts. The charging system is set up for 24 volts, and that would be a PITA to change over, the stator for the the charging system is wound to produce the proper voltage to charge 24 volts., aside from rewinding the stator and putting a new voltage regulator on it, you would also have to re-engineer the field board because it "flashes" the field of the generator to start producing power, it get's that initial flash from the batteries, or the alternator (charging system). LEAVE IT 24 VOLTS. A pair of batteries from wally world isn't too expensive.
Also the governor solenoid, fuel pumps, remote fuel solenoid, three relays(start, safety bypass, preheat), glow plugs, intake heater rewire (series to parallel) and the panel lights. The run time meter should work on 12 volts.

Price all the above and you are looking at over $1000. To save $80 on a second battery.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks