• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep002a

mangus580

Mangus,
No problem. I used NAPA 3113. You do have to slightly modify the filter. You see the "T" shape in the center of the filter housing? Those "tangs" have to bent slightly to fit over the MEP003 fuel filter center bolt. No biggie for me. It's a whole lot cheaper than a specialty item too. I've stocked up on them. Smok Stak is where I where I got this information.
Steve
Steve, I notice the filters are about 1/8" shorter... are you sure they seal properly?

aboonski

Thanks for the info Mangus580! I don't think that will be too hard on the Toyota. I hauled a couple of loads of 900x20 deuce tires and rims and about a 1000 pounds of other parts quite a distance a while back and I know that load weighed more than the genset & trailer. Nice to know about the trailer as well. Leaving for Huntsville around 8:00 or 9:00 tonight - hope I can arrive in time to meet the date deadline at Redstone! We will stay overnight on base so if I have to I will pick up the genset first thing Tuesday morning.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Chet, look in the Resource section for TM 5-6115-584-24P & TM 5-6115-584-34. You can download these.

bumperjumper

Ft drum

Are the Gov Liquidation folks at Ft Drum capable of helping with load out? I have 3 mep002's to pick-up but no easy way to get them onto my flatbed. Anyone have experience there?

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, Kevin is great for helping you out. He'll usually fetch them from the yard and load them. He's got a hi-lo and a front end loader.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
He has a borrowed lift-all, the loader is in the shop. Be sure to tell him you will need to be loaded, when you call for your pickup appointment.

aboonski

mep002a Genset

Just got mine home from Redstone Aresenal. What a long trip for a genset! We took our Toyota Highlander Hybrid instead of the M1008A1 which was a great idea because of the weather - freezing cold in Huntsville! We stayed on base at the Redstone Inn ($50.00 per night) and the accomodations were pretty nice for the price. Loadout was fairly quick and easy - very nice GL people at Redstone. After filling the tires (brand new Coopers), hooking up the lights and mounting a Florida plate to the trailer, off we went! I had to do some quick modifications for the safety chains which would not reach the class III hitch on the Toyota - pictures will show how I did it using two of the clevis rings off of the trailer. Had to wait until I got home to open the storage box on the front of the trailer but there were "spoils" inside; some of the items need identification though. There were, what appeared to be "staves" of some sort that looked as though they would fit into the bow areas of the trailer. Check out the photo and see if you know what they do because I sure don't! The best thing in the box was the jerry can snorkle which I have always wanted. Looks like the fittings and the fuel line were there too so I am all set!

Attachments

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good catch! I got the ground rods, the slide hammer and the fuel spouts in mine also! The bow staves might be for shipping. Look in the TM 5-6115-630-14P for the PU751M, page 4-2.

aboonski

You were right about the staves. They are for stowage of the four bows. Once I obtained the TM I went right to the page you provided and it was obvious what these were for. Thank you very much!

aboonski

Not yet - will try to see if it will turn over this afternoon but will have to use the jumper cable route (batteries are practically dead). I want to purge the fuel tank and change the fuel filters and the oil in the motor before trying to fire it up. It has 1833 hours on the meter so this thing was used quite a bit. I was fortunate to find new Cooper tires on the trailer and a new pigtail for the trailer lights; also looks like the fuel tank is new as well. Once I change out all the fluids I'll probably do a Youtube video when I first run the thing up.

I was amazed at how well it towed behind the Toyota Highlander! I guess the surge brakes worked because I made a couple of rapid stops and the trailer gave me no indication problems.

Alan

chester247

i am trying to get a set of filters for mep -002a
auto parts store says no listings for the fram as in the tm

does anybody have good filter numbers ?

thanks

OLDCHEV4X4

Aboonski, good deal on the genset. I just aquired one also and its missing all the ground rod stuff. Could you get some close-ups of the parts and some measurements please? It looks like stuff that could be easly made on the lathe.
Thanks Randy

jeepin

This is probably in the resources section, but to save you the search here is what I found:

Oil Filter: NAPA 1004, Wix 202 C, Fram CH6PL, MS35802-2
NSN 2940-00-580-6304

Fuel Filter cartridge: NAPA 3113, Fram C1125PL
NSN 2910-00-287-1930

Fuel Strainer cartridge: Fram 35070
NSN 2910-00-222-2216

Air Filter cartridge: NAPA FIL 2222, Donaldson P10-1222,
FleetGuard AF437KM

i am trying to get a set of filters for mep -002a
auto parts store says no listings for the fram as in the tm

does anybody have good filter numbers ?

thanks

mangus580

This is probably in the resources section, but to save you the search here is what I found:

NSN 2940-00-580-6304

NSN 2910-00-287-1930

NSN 2910-00-222-2216

FleetGuard AF437KM
Actually I was just about to post... its in THIS THREAD!!!

chester247

thanks

NSN 2940-00-580-6304

NSN 2910-00-287-1930

NSN 2910-00-222-2216

FleetGuard AF437KM

aboonski

Randy, I'll be happy to provide closeup photos and the measurements for the ground rods and connectors first thing in the morning. When I worked at Florida Power & Light back in 1967, I used to issue the same ground rods and connectors to the linemen on a daily basis so I know these are available commercially. If you know anybody working at a power company they might be able to snag a few of these without too much trouble.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks