• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep002a

Nonotagain

The grounding rods are 42" long (at least the ones supplied on the MEP-003a set) made of 5/8" diameter solid copper, and have a pointed male thread one end and a female thread on the other end. Any thread size above 3/8-16 can be used so long as you can screw in a bolt to the female thread so that you can strike it with a hammer to drive it into the ground.

I purchased an arc welding set ground cable to attach to the rods and the terminal lug on the chassis of the generator.

Hope this helps.

PS the generator has a set of storage clamps located below the filter assemblies. If you were lucky enough there would also be a tube for connection to the remote fuel pump.

aboonski

MEP002a

The genset that I won from Redstone was missing the center rail on my M116 trailer so I installed one today thanks to parts that I had from some fiberglass troop seats. I even used the bolts and nuts from the troop seats for the application and the results were better than I expected. I threw an old M1008 cargo cover over the bows to keep the rain off of the genset but you can see it isn't made for this trailer. My trailer needs a whole lot of TLC though - it's been through hell! Looks like a frame-off restoration in the future.

I did get some goodies with this unit though and also found another part of the auxillary fuel system stored in the framework of the generator; i.e., the longer tube that is used to tap a 55 gallon drum. I had to loosen two bolts on the side of the frame to get the tube out - looks like thick copper or red brass. Even the fittings that are used at each end of the fuel line (also in the accessory box) were there so now I will be ready for hurricane season here in West Melbourne Florida!

I'll post a few photos of the good and the bad.

Attachments

aboonski

MEP002a genset with solargizer

Just uploaded a short video showing installation of a solargizer on my genset:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSe_vAxIOds[/media]

I fired it up yesterday but had to use a jerry can for a fuel tank because of the rust in the bottom of the tank on the generator itself. I was quite fortunate to have gotten all the components of the auxillary fuel system so I put it all together and it worked perfectly. The fuel line was really difficult to assemble due of the age of the tubing - very stiff and not very cooperative when I put the fittings onto each end. The fuel that was in the lines was really nasty so I made sure all of it was purged and fresh diesel was then introduced filter by filter. Once I knew the fuel was up at the injector pump I cranked the motor and within a very short period of time lots of white smoke flew out of the exhaust pipe. I recycled the preheat switch once or twice and then it started and ran like new; no smoke at all from the exhaust. I didn't get to check the voltage output but will do that sometime later today once the unit is properly grounded.

Attachments

aboonski

Hi Mike, I know what you mean about the setup for using jerry can to fill the tank on the genset. All I did was trace the fuel line that feeds the fuel into the filtration system and I connected the fuel line from the jerry can at that point. You can see what I did in one of the photos in my last thread. Until I do something about the rust in the bottom of my genset tank I'll just use the jerry can for now.

Alan

aboonski

Right now the return line is still going into the genset tank - all this stuff with the jerry can is just temporary and is "cheating" until I can remove the tank for cleaning. I just ran the thing for about 20 minutes - it started a little hard but I think it has a something to do with not running the glow plugs long enough. I did make a couple of videos during the sequence that I will post to Youtube shortly. Alan

aboonski

I usually do things in an unorthodox way - I cheat everything! If you look at some of my other Youtube videos you will see what I mean. I will upload two more videos of the genset chanking and running very shortly. I wanted to show the unit when it fired up but it took several tries with the glow plug system before I got it right. This is all new to me because my time in the military (21 years) was spent in medical administration - in other words, a "pecker checker". A majority of what I do with my military items is all common sense but I did inherit some of my abilities from my father who was an engineer (but I never knew him). He was a Naval Aviator during WW II and my mom and dad divorced when I was still a crib baby. I am just fascinated by machinery and only limited by my lack of funds otherwise I would own a B-25 Billie Mitchell Bomber.

aboonski

Here's part one of the genset cranking; part two is still "processing". If anyone sees something I am doing wrong please let me know! I don't think I am leaving the glow plugs on long enough but I may be wrong.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K16p-XYJcoY[/media]

aboonski

Armada, I did want to thank you for your support and compliments regarding the solargizer placement. I did pretty much the same thing on my M35A2C only it mounts on one of the convoy lights. Once I get the new batteries and do some other work on this thing I'll have to pick some brains to find out how to use it for a 220 vot application. I will be placing my buzz box welder on the trailer very shortly and hope to run it with the genset. I know it is generating 110 because I plugged a space heater into one of the outlets and it worked fine - hardly made the motor change rpm at all but the cycle meter did change (dropped).

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you have the throttle half way out when starting? Did you read the starting procedure in the TM?

aboonski

Hi Doghead, no to both! I eventually got around to pulling the throttle out and that did the trick! The starting procedures are right on the side of the control box and I read about running the preheater for one minute. Anyway, I learn something each time I run the unit. What could you expect from a retired Air Force medic anyway?

aboonski

I was trying to guesstimate a minute - didn't want to cook the glowplugs! I guess they are different than the ones on my CUCV. My friend Ian cranked his MEP003 unit up before taking all the precautions of filter and fuel changeout and wound up with water in his I.P. so I did learn a little from him. I have great plans for this genset once I learn how to properly use it! Some of the gauges don't seem to work but the cycle gauge is functional. The panel lights work too - a big plus! Just hearing this thing run is very rewarding but this genset and trailer have been neglected big time!

aboonski

MEP002a genset accessories

I found these in the accessory box of my genset and have no idea what they are for. The threaded end on the steel bar is smaller than the threads on the grounding bars - perhaps 1/2". The small straps probably have something to do with the canvas top or possibly for holding the auxillary fuel line - that's just a guess though. Also, for the benefit of another member who sent me a PM I will post photos of the grounding rod slide hammer with components as well.

Attachments

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't know what the first three are but the straps came off of the genset tarp/cover.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks