• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep002a

OLDCHEV4X4

Thanks aboonski.
So i need to make a disc 2.5" diameter x .5 thick with a clearence hole for a 5/8 rod.

A 5/8 diameter steel rod about 18" long , threaded on one end to screw onto a coupler.

A 4" diameter x 5" long hammer with a clearence hole for a 5/8 rod.

And 2 handles 5/8 diameter x 5" long. (plus a little to slide into the side holes of the hammer and get welded.)

And that other part....is that something to remove to ground rods with?

Thanks alot aboonski

aboonski

Thanks for that info "319"! I had a feeling that's what they would be used for but I am sure I am missing one or more of them. I'll check out the TM to see if they are shown anywhere. Right now I am still using the CUCV cargo cover on my genset and it will keep the rain off of the machinery.

Regarding the grounding rod slide hammer, I am guessing that the small part (that looks like a hockey puck) that is screwed onto one of the rods may be for pounding the rods into the ground and also for removing them when you pack and go. I believe the rod that it is screwed into that you see in my photos is made of steel and not copper so it must be the "slider" rod that the hammer tool rides on when you are driving the grounding rods into the dirt. I will have to read up on this in the TM because I am sure there is a chapter devoted to properly grounding the generator before use.

mangus580

While we are on the subject still... (I might make a separate post on this if it doesnt do well here...)

I am in need of a control box for a MEP-002/003 (or any other that are the same). One of the ones we have had something heavy dropped on it, and while its fixable I would prefer to just replace it. It can be a gutted box... as all the insides and the actual panel are good, just the shell is damaged...

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those straps are sewn on the inside of the roof of the cover to attach the cover to the bows. Theres at least four, maybe six or eight. Refer to the illustration on page D-8 in TM 5-6115-630-14P. I'll post some photos later.
I think you're correct about the slide hammer. I haven't pulled mine out to play with it yet, it's with my other PU751M at a friends house.

aboonski

coverThanks for the ifo on the straps. I did find a reference that showed the straps - Figure D1, page D8, View B of TM 5-6115-630-14&P but it's hard to see what they actually do in the diagrams. I does make sense though. If you roll up the sides of the cover, something has to hold it down. If I ever get the correct cargo cover for my genset I will be looking for more of these!

chaserr

What kind of engin is on the MEP-002A???

I have on and don't know what kkind of engin it has.
I picked up my MEP002a at Ft. Drum today. Neat thing about it is that it has the shipping labels showing it was shipped to Kuwait in 2004.
I have searched this site and noticed several guys saying they removed the stock fuel filters on the 002a and 003a. Is that still the best route, to go with a single spin on?

Mbsk01

Just wondering if fuel line parts are readily available - one of mine leaks very badly! I guess I could have one made but thought I would see if anyone has knowledge of where to buy these. I hope the photo comes out....
Find a local shop that makes hydraulic hoses, fuel lines are no different. A decent shop should be able to fab up that fuel line in under 10 minutes.

2 minutes searching reveals there is Pirtek near you. Not the cheapest vendor, but they should be able to fix you up. If nothing else, they give you an idea of who else to look for.

Pirtek USA - On-Site Hydraulic Hose Replacement Service, Franchise Sales and Information

aboonski

Thanks you very much for the information Mbsk01. The nearest Pirtek dealer is only a few miles away so I will be heading over there first thing Monday morning. I think I read another thread about this same hose going bad on an MEP003 so it must be a common problem with that particular hose. Should be very easy to replace though.

OLDCHEV4X4

MY 002 had the same problem. The bend is too sharp. I had the hoze from the filter to the check valve and the hoze that leaked, made a inch longer. Then i fliped the check valve 180 degrees and hooked up the hozes that way. The bend isnt sharp now and should last longer.

Attachments

jeepin

When having the hoses made, make sure the hose the counter guy uses is rated for fuel. Some off the shelf hyd hose will not stand up to fuel according to local NAPA guys. If they say they "don't know" I would stay away from it. You are past the filter there and any particles from rubber disintegrating are going right to the IP.

aboonski

Thanks for the info Jeepin! I went over to Pirtek and had a new hose made but did not know about the spring inside of the original hose; consequently the new hose tends to collapse in a tight bend. I will have to pull the new hose and insert the spring then I expect everything will be just fine. I had the counter man at Pirtek use one of my old fittings that screws into the IP and he had to use one of the small screw-threaded clamps to keep the hose on the fitting. This is good only because I will be able to insert the interior spring otherwise I would have preferred a crimp fitting for the integrity of the fuel line. I'll post some photos of the fuel line with the inner spring and the new fuel line as well. If anyone knows where an NOS replacement for this shortie fuel line can be purchased, please PM me.

Attachments

chester247

ARE THE MEP002A DEPENDABLE UNITS?

I just picked one with 13 hours on runs and works fine
I AM GOING TO USE IT FOR BACKUP POWER FOR MY HOUSE
PICKED UP NEW FILTERS - HAD TROUBLE GETTING GASKET FOR THE OIL FILTER CALLED ONAN FOR SPIN ON FILTER ADAPTER -WAS TOLD PARTS ARE DISCONTINUED FOR THIS UNIT .

aboonski

Chester247,

Could you let me know the specifics on the spin-on filter adapter & the filter number? I keep hearing about the problem with the filter gaskets so I am reluctant to change mine prior to obtaining the correct gasket (if available). Sounds like you go a new generator!

chester247

i will scan in the paper work i got from onan today for the adaptor spin on filter that might fit onan #122-0182

i will email info tomorrow

thanks
chet

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Chester 247 -->Said:

i will scan in the paper work i got from onan today for the adaptor spin on filter that might fit onan #122-0182

i will email info tomorrow

thanks
chet
Chet,
I'd be interested in that information about the spin on filter as well, if you don't mind. Even though my sets are the 003's I think the oil filters are the same.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks