• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

3 kw gen set re-wire

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rat,

You're right again about the three phase, for some reason I always keep forgetting about the 1.73 multiplier for three phase.

But that still leaves 12.5KW no matter whether it's configured single phase or three phase. 120x104=12.5KW same for 240x52. There seems to be no de-rating factor for these gen-sets.

I have a feeling you could easily load these puppies up to about 15 to 20 KW for a short while and not harm them

rat4spd

That was my point. :) The three phase capacity must be a third higher than rated to account for the 100% duty cycle of the single phase operation.

If a person can get one running and keep it running, I believe it would handle about anything you could throw at it. Even if you didn't actually load it to 15 or 20 KW, just think about the starting capabilities for surge current on larger motors.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't know if it's true or not but I read on the Smokstak forum that the starting capacity was about 300% rated load. From the figures that sounds about right.

m139h2otruck

I know this is a very old thread, but I asked about re-wiring the little 1.5 kw gen set (2a026 engine) so that it produces the "correct" 240 volts for use in a building system. Anyone have a lead?
The 3 kw set works great for the house after I added the jumper connection (except for when the 120 volt 1.5 kw heater load kicks in for the garage hot water)! Just have to unplug it when on generator mode.
Thanks

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks