• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 003 Question

bumperjumper

Recetly picked up a MEP 003. No luck getting it to roll over. Only has 4xx hours on it and appears to be complete. I have 2 new 12v batteries (600 cranking amps) hooked up to make 24v just as the diagram shows. Panel light illuminates, fuel pump runs, intake heats up, but won't roll over. Any ideas before I assume the starter is bad?

DOCUSN1

Follow the wiring from the starter around you will find it runs to the stator which is right behind the fan shroud check all conections and I belive but may be wrong but i think there is a inline fuse in there somwhere send me a pm and I will try to email you the manuals. Mark

bumperjumper

After going through the TM my starter failed the field coil short/ground test. Is this repairable? I didn't see a direct link to procedure once the unit fails this test.

dirtyfingernails

Pull the starter and clean everything! Including the grounding strap at the base of the motor mount by the batteries. These are extremely durable and I doubt you lost the starter. Contact problem I bet. You'd be amazed if it aint perfectly grounded. Try that--what have you got to lose but time and elbow grease.

jeepin

Testing starter

Just pulled the starter and I am cleaning all the contacts. Any way to test it while I have it off the engine?
Jumper cables...Hook pos 24v to the copper lead at base of solenoid. Touch ground cable to stud on starter that is not hooked to solenoid. That should spin the motor but won't push the gear out as the solenoid does that.

The other thing you want to check is you have the batteries hooked up on the set correctly. The positive lead goes to top of solenoid, the negative battery cable to the stud on the starter body.

jatonka

I was reading some posts over on that other forum on Onan Generators, Our MEP-oo3a genste is also a civilian Onan. We shoukldn't have trouble getting parts. But it might be hard to afford them. I'm feeling lucky for once, I brought mine home, serviced it, put batteries in and started it. Hasn't missed a beat yet. Hooked it up to the house and shop today thru a welding receptacle, ready for the next storm I guess. JT out

bumperjumper

The wires running to the brushes in the starter housing has come off, not sure if someone had improperly hooked up batteries and burned them off?? I soldered them back in place reassembled, cleaned all the contacts, remounted the starter, and viola!!!

This was not a cheap unit but it is in immaculate shape. Now I need to fashion an exhaust system.

rudedog

need some help my mep 003 it is missing the fan shroud and the injector pump. also the frequncy adjustment knob on cosole is missing . wish my would come to life please help me

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks