• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Accidently put 12v starter in... NEED HELP!

killer_kricket

So my 24v starter went out the other day and I unknowingly bought a 12 volt one from the auto store. Laugh if you want, but I told the guy 24 and he didn't get it, I now am much more knowledgable on the subject. Anyways, I got my 24v back and had it rebuilt, the problem is the electrical is screwed up. What I know happened when I put the 12v in is the driver side alternater battery wire caught on fire, as well as melted one of the 12v wires coming off the plastic power block next to the glow plug solenoid. The solenoid buzzes now when I turn the key to warm up the plugs, so I got a new one, which looks different, and that one buzzes too. The controller looks ok, but I bypassed it any way and when I press the new momentary switch to warm up the plugs, it still buzzes, like its just going on and off 10 times a second. When I put in the now rebuilt 24v starter, I cant even connect the batterys because it tries to crank. I checked my 'cold' wire coming off the starter and cannot find any places it is crapped up. It sounds like multiple problems.

Has anyone else ever done this? I need some serious help and I believe the only ways to fix this issue are either bypass everything and make a f-n switch panel to start the truck, rewire, or rewire to 12v. If there is anyone in the california bay area that wants to fix this and knows how I can also pay for the repairs, worthwhile pay.

hobie237

The 12v starter will draw more amperage than the 24v unit, and this likely fried the starter relay, welding it shut. The relay crosses to part number AC40. Pick up two, toss the spare in the glove box. It's not uncommon for them to fail in the stock configuration. I'd also check all the wiring between the batteries and starter, as it's possible that the current surge fried other things as well- but the "constantly cranking" issue is typical of a starter relay failure.

As for the glow plug situation, it sounds like the glow plug relay could be bad, what one did you use? One from a civilian truck?

ohfisherman

realy

make sure you keep 2 of those relays on hand. mine went and the only way to stop if from cranking was to pull the cables. put in new relay and was back to normal.

killer_kricket

Silver relay, sounds good this has been driving me crazy. I am out of town at my paintball field, but I will check it on monday and reply.

PS A rental Impala is fast and can't mud for beans

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks