• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Aircraft tug question??

akbearmoose

I am resurrecting a dead thread...sorry...but I like the search option...

I have a 76 American Coleman MB4 with the LH318 Industrial (Chrysler) and the Allison 3 sp. automatic. Does anyone know where to download or purchase a manual for this? I need a solenoid and there is no # on it [SNIFF]

I have tried the Air Force manuals site, as well as others...Please help! (Especially if you know the part #) :wink:

68t

i am glad there is some mopar folks on the ss. if you buy the tug you can get info on the 440. i am a military vehicle,s man and mopar man too. i am working on my 440 six pack 70 challanger, so drop a pm about mopars, a little off topic but hope it will be ok:-D

Ruppster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I commited to buying it. I hav'nt got it started yet. It will be used as a snow plow at an airport or just push anything thats in my way! It was built it 64 so I think the engine is a 440 industrial.

As Elwenil mentioned I doubt it's a 440. The industrial engines back then were either 361's or 413's. While the blocks are just like those used in the 361 or 413 car engines just about the rest of the engine is different. Heads, water pump, intake and exhaust manifolds, and cam are all different. A 440 block could be used in place of a 361 or 413 if the heads from the old engine are used.

So timerak, did you ever buy it?

Ruppster
www.dodge-semis.com

prkchop

american coleman mb4

i have just recently found one of these vehicles and am trying to buy it ...it has a county plow mounted on the front ..does anyone know where i can find parts for it if i do get it...thanks

sandcobra164

We have an old tug out at the base that runs an old Chrysler Slant 6. Tops out around 15 MPH. maybe. It it an open top made in 72 and we use it pulling "Tour" type trailers for hauling upper level civilians on tours around our facilities.

dbillings

Tug Questions

I'm new to this site so I thought I'd start with you.
I have a 1958 Clark Tug made by Clark Equipment Company/Reynolds Metals Co. It has a six cylinder flate head w/ three speed manual trans. Any manual information out there for something like this?
Don Billings
donbill123@msn.com

usafe7ret

Don't remember what engines ours had, but in 73, we used the MB-4 Coleman to tow and park our F-4s most of the time and we would use the U-18 (Ute) during the winter when ice and snow on the taxiways would make it hard to get up the hills from the parking revetments.

We go a new automatic one in 75 and the first guy to use it jerked the nose wheel strut out of the airplane when it shifted into high gear. Not a good thing at all. Most of us used the ones with manual transmissions as it was easier to controll the aircraft.

We had on guy, Sgt Ed Hartmann, who would drive around from plane to plane with the tow bar connected to the front pintle hook. The guy was a genius when it came to parking F-4s at Hahn AB.

I have an American Coleman G-40 (MB-4) Towing Tractor Operator’s, Organizational, DS, and GS Maintenance Manual including Repair Parts and Special Tools List if anyone is looking.

Specifically, two basic models of the MB-4 towing tractor, part numbers 690-1 B and 690-1 B 1, are included in this manual. PM me if interested.

American Coleman

Attachments

jpulliam53

Psi Mb4 Aircraft 4x4 Tug

We have a PSI MB4 Aircraft 4x4 Tug at work. It runs good and everything works with the exception of the parking brake. I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction to locate parts. What we need is everything for the parking brake except the lever and cable. The entire brake assembly (whatever it is supposed to be) is missing. The MB4 we have has disc brakes front and rear. I see no place for a parking brake to mount or attach but I know it had one cause it has the lever and the alarm for the parking brake still works. :D

kish53a

woo hoo 1st post!

Anyway, I don't know about the MB4, but most of the Navy's tugs have the parking brake disc attached to the output end of the transmission...Drive shaft bolts to that and so on...

It's like that for the A/S32A-30A, -37, -42 and -45...Might be the same?

Last edited:

SonOfAMechanic

MB-4 Question

My father had an MB-4 up on the farm. He has since passed away, and we are about to sell the farm. I would like to get it running, but I cannot find his manuals. The only number stamped on the engine is:

* = star

P30*I60224* or P30*Ib0224*

I would like to know what engine was put in this manually, driven beast.

A quick way to reply is to my e-mail of needmsds@aol.com

Thank you!

Road Warrior 88

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it is the MB4 type I have some manuals and parts books some where. The MB4 has 4 wheel drive and 4 wheel steering and came with at least 4 different engines through the years.
Greg
I just picked up an Air Force 1980 Coleman G40-H aircraft tug with the 4 cly. Allis Chalmers turbocharged engine. Any information like service and parts manuals would be very much appreciated.

Road Warrior 88

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it is the MB4 type I have some manuals and parts books some where. The MB4 has 4 wheel drive and 4 wheel steering and came with at least 4 different engines through the years.
Greg
Hello Greg, Did you ever find those service and parts manuals for the 1980 G40-H aircraft tug? I'm gettng ready to start the mechanical restoration, and sure could use them. Looking forward to hearing back from you. Thanks John

Road Warrior 88

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have an American Coleman G-40 (MB-4) Towing Tractor Operator’s, Organizational, DS, and GS Maintenance Manual including Repair Parts and Special Tools List if anyone is looking.

Specifically, two basic models of the MB-4 towing tractor, part numbers 690-1 B and 690-1 B 1, are included in this manual. PM me if interested.

American Coleman
I have a 1980 Coleman G40H with the Allis Chalmers 433T diesel engine. The transmission is the Allison AT 545 4 speed automatic. You rig looks exactly like mine. Do you have any parts or service manuals for this machine?

Road Warrior 88

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Greg
Hello Again Greg, Did you ever find those service and parts manuals for the 1980 G40-H aircraft tug? I'm gettng ready to start the mechanical restoration, and sure could use them. Looking forward to hearing back from you. Thanks John

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello Again Greg, Did you ever find those service and parts manuals for the 1980 G40-H aircraft tug? I'm gettng ready to start the mechanical restoration, and sure could use them. Looking forward to hearing back from you. Thanks John
Looks like he, Greg/Pilot, has not been here since 2016 timeframe.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks