• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Titling a truck in Colorado?

colomil

I ran into some headaches at the El Paso County DMV when trying to get plates for a M101 trailer. It looks like things have changed since the last time I got plates for a military trailer. To get a homemade plate, you now need a "roadworthy" + VIN inspection + statement of assembly. The "roadworthy" inspection must be done by a cop and the wait is at least a month. This is a major pain in the @$$ so I will try the GL route.

I read on the GL site that they will give you a title for $77 but I don't see where it is possible to request a title online, only the SF97. Has anyone specified they need a title and gone this route?

steelandcanvas

I have an article at home written by one of our Club Members, referencing the do's and dont's of registering an MV in Colorado. It is written well, and quite thorough I'll post it for you tonight.

41cl8m5

A buddy told me last we the issues involved with going the "home made" rout on trailers. The Laws changed some time last summer. It is a real PITA now to do. He passed on getting a boat trailer without title and told the guy to just scrap it. In his opinion it was not worth the agravation. The inspection buy the authority imo is up to the person doing it. The other paperwork is a real hassel to get but can be done. I think the state wants everyone to go the title service route. More money out of pocket and it woun't go to the state. :cookoo:

Here's your sign!!!!!!

therooster2001

OK people, unless I am misunderstanding the new regulations, we are now set back to 32 years old, not 25! SO, the 1990 M925A2 that I thought would be $400 + taxes / 5 years is now $600/year based off weight. I don't know when they changed the laws (EDIT: It was Sept 09), but the latest (Nov 2014) has this set at 32 years. The C.R.S states this:

(2) "Collector's item" means a motor vehicle, including a truck or truck tractor, that is of:
(a) Model year 1975 or earlier;
(b) Model year 1976 or later that was registered as a collector's item prior to September 1, 2009; except that a vehicle so registered is not eligible for registration as a collector's item upon sale or transfer to a new owner; or
(c) A model year at least thirty-two years old unless the vehicle was registered before September 1, 2009, and meets the requirements of paragraph (b) of this subsection (2). If the vehicle is being registered under this paragraph (c) and in the program area, as defined in section 42-4-304:
(I) The vehicle must have passed an emissions test meeting the standards of part 3 of article 4 of this title within the last twelve months before being initially registered by the owner as a collector's item; and
(II) The owner must sign an affidavit that the vehicle will not be driven on roadways for more than four thousand five hundred miles per year.
My takeaway is that these no longer qualify when they used to, and the biggie for those that made the cut it seems back in Sept 2009 better not sell or re-register for any reason, you'll be in the expensive seats with me.

BEWARE, or please explain to me how I am wrong. I went rounds with the DMV and my own research turned out very disappointing (and expensive for the next 7 years!). I know others in other states have similar issues in their states, and I'm not exactly whining, I just wish I had had good info before buying to prep myself than the article that used to work. I thought I was golden!! Please notify someone in the MVCC (my registration is pending) that this is only for models previous registered before 2009, or older than 1975.

And if an Op can help me change the font wonkiness of the first half of the quote, it's not obvious... :cookoo:

Last edited:

41cl8m5

I am a member of the MVCC and the topic of registration and titling vehicles is discussed from time to time at the meetings. I had missed the cut off on my m1009 by one month for the collector plate. I live in a area that requires emissions on diesel vehicles every year. The tech that performs the test says the truck has a federal emissions exempt sticker on the engine but that Colorado requires the test be done anyway. So the way I look at it I must make an appointment to do the test, sit and wait for the test to be done cringing that the engine does not blow up on the run up to 70 mph which is way over redline, and pay the "Fee" so I can get the piece of paperwork to go to the dmv wait in line for my number to be called, when called show I have insurance and money to pay for another year of road use about 1000 miles.

Yea, this hobby is expensive and time consuming but I looked at the rules posted above and they stopped issuing the collector plates in 2009 for the 25 years and older and went to the 1975 and older. The thought was most in the political theater did not want to see 1986 Chevy chevetts and Ford Fiestas all rusted out with collector plates on them. I know there are a lot more vehicles in that time frame one that comes to mind is the 1988 Pontiac LeMans, I owned the pos myself it was so bad the BBB in California would not agree to the lemon law claim that I filed and was told is a no brainer on winning. They sided with the manufacturer. Last time I bought a Pontiac.

Anyway 32 years is now 1983 this year, so next year my wife's m1010 should qualify for the collector plates, we will see.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks