• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Disaster In Hooks

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Went to Hooks to make my second recovery attempt on the 818, used all the good info given over the last attempt, while following the fuel line I found a fuel shutoff just before the primary fuel filter housing, opened it and checked the fuel shutoff on the IP and she started right up, rough but running, let it run for about twenty min. signed the GL form and headed for the gate. Got to the gate and the guard waved be down telling me I am losing a lot of oil!!!!!!! Sure enough I stop the truck about 40 feet past the gate and by the time I get around to the passenger side there is about a paint of black oil splashed around on the ground and the passenger side fender well. Pop the top and oil is flowing out of the radiator overflow tank! The engine sounded fine and was running smooth. Is this a head gasket problem, how expensive to fix, can I do it myself? I am filling out a complaint form to GL as soon as I finish this post. Yes, I did inspect the truck prior to bidding, it is in great shape showing less than 6500 miles since rebuild! Any speculation is appreciated, it is a four hour drive to Hooks!
James G.

Attachments

uscgmatt

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do those trucks have an oil cooler in the radiator? I had the same problem on a forklift. Turns out it was the oil cooler in the radiator had broken causing it to overflow.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am filling out a complaint form to GL as soon as I finish this post.
I wouldn't waste my time filling out a complaint. It will just make you that much more upset when they tell you they really don't care and won't do anything about it.

I bet it's the oil cooler with that much oil. Not that bad to replace.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like an oil cooler. I have lost them before. They are not always in the radiator, but can be in the cooling system elsewhere. Its not to big of a deal, if that is it. Drain the system. Replace the oil cooler element. Try to flush the system first, then refill with water, adding a box of Cascade dishwasher soap (you want a strong detergent soap, but low sudsing). Run the engine & make sure you get it up to good operating temperature. After a half hour of running, drain, flush, and give here another soap treatment. Probably that will do it. Check your oil, of course, but if it looks OK (which it should), I changed the oil after I was satisfied the system was clean.

Lee in Alaska

pilot

We had exactly the same thing happen to an M813 we picked up this summer. It was the oil cooler. Alex at Idaho Motor Pool had 2 or more nos coolers in stock when I called. Feel free to call if I can help. Greg (701)393 4384

Crash_AF

I'd have to say it's a blown cooler too... had it happen on a generator I was working on in the AF.

The oil cooler is bolted to the block just above the alternator. The service instructions for the cooler are in the 260-34-1 manual on page 3-30.

Good luck with it, you might want to get it hauled from Hooks back to your place to work on it.

GL won't give a rat's butt about your problem... you bought it "As-is, where-is, no warranty expressed or implied"

Later,
Joe

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oil

By the time I got to the gate there was no oil showing on the stick, the residue on the stick looked fine, just black like the oil on the ground. While the truck was idling in the yard there was no leakage, only when I drove it( or it may have been filling up the overflow tank)? The radiator overflow tank was empty when I checked it, I added two gallons to get it up to a couple of inches in the tank. We could not see any water/antifreeze at all on the ground or the fender well and the oil was very black no emulsification at all!
James

James,
Here is a picture of the oil cooler assy. on the NHC 250. Easy to change out the only hard part is finding the alignment marks as they are VERY faint and clocking the position of the oil cooler is crucial for correct operatioin. I have all the the M809/M818 tech manuals for viewing on our website. www.army6x6.com At least it runs!

Andy

Attachments

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
James, I have to concur with M16TY...don't bother yourself with filing a complain with GL. If you got any satisfaction, you will be the first person that I know of on this forum who has had a positive outcome. They did absolutely nothing for me on one complaint...AND THEY AGREED THAT I WAS RIGHT!!!! They basically agreed to let me back out of my bid. Given that you took the truck, I guarantee that they will say there is nothing they can do. Go for it...but don't be disappointed when they turn you down.

mangus580

Let me get this right... You previewed the truck? Did you run it then? Did you drive it???

You are saying it didnt exhibit the problem when you had it idling on the lot the whole time, and it only happened AFTER you drove it for some distance.

Thats NOT GL's fault. It sounds to me that you didnt 'inspect thoroughly' enough....... (I do understand you might not have been able to) Filing a report is a bad idea in my opinion..... I suspect you will just anger the 'GL Gods'

scooter01922

I gotta agree with mangus. Not like they are going to care anyway and it might tick em off. From my point of view you should be thanking GL. Just think of what would have happened if that GL employee didn't flag you down when he did. Then you would be looking for a new engine and not just an oil cooler.

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ifind your lack of faith distrubing!

O Yee of Little Faith, I am sure the folks at GL will be understanding of my plight. I made the inspection, the actual day the auction ended, made my bid on what I saw; the truck was not drivable since none of the 40 trucks up for sale had batteries! The truck was not residue, I had made a good faith effort, and I am sure they will too! . I have to give the opportunity to do the right thing and change all of your opinions of their customer service! Besides nothing ventured nothing gained
James G.

Attachments

Last edited:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
O Yee of Little Faith, I am sure the folks at GL will be understanding of my plight. I made the inspection, the actual day the auction ended, made my bid on what I saw; the truck was not drivable since none of the 40 trucks up for sale had batteries! The truck was not residue, I had made a good faith effort, and I am sure they will too! . I have to give the opportunity to do the right thing and change all of your opinions of their customer service! Besides nothing ventured nothing gained
James G.
You've got to be kidding :wink:.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks