• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV Front Axle Pinion Angle

Barrman

I am putting a set of CUCV axles under a M715. The M715 belongs to Sermis and the axles belonged to another member. He had them under a M715 but had severe shimmy and drivability issues with them. He also moved the front leaf springs to under the frame instead of outboard like the M715 is stock.

My students have made this truck their project. We have cut off all the previous owners fabbed up spring perches and have the axle centered left to right. I just need to know the kingpin angle or the pinion angle so the camber and caster are correct.

Does anybody have this handy?

Thanks.

Elwenil

Caster angle is what you are looking for. If you can't get it from the TM, you could probably ask a local alignment shop for the spec on a similar civilian model.

For what it is worth, Dodge axles run between +1/2 degree to +3 1/2 degrees of caster with +2 degrees being the preferred setting. The Factory Service Manuals also note that "If vehicle wanders caster should be increased. If steering effort is very high, especially when cornering, caster should be decreased."

Barrman

Thanks Lanty. I have an alignment machine here in my class. We are just not building the truck on the machine. That is why I was looking for pinion angle. the plan was to slap an inclinometer on the yoke, rotate to the correct angle with the perches just sitting on the tubes and the u-bolts loose. Tack weld the perches. Tighten everything up and then roll it to the alignment machine. I will just look up a '82 chevy K30 and see what the specs show.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Forget the pinion angle, it will toss you way off base. As Lanty said, you need to set the caster angle for driveability. Pinion angle should be a distant second unless you are cutting the knuckles off and rewelding them back. If you do this then you can accomplish both tasks at once.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks