• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newb from upstate New York

Prospect62

Hey guys. Great forum, PACKED with info. I'm loving it. As you can see by my avatar, I'm a Jeep guy and have been for several years. Used to have a civvie K5 and now I'm hoping to become the proud owner of an M1009 sometime in the near future. I've always wanted one and just decided I better do it now. Life is short, ya know?

Figured I'd join up here and learn a thing or two about these trucks before I go shopping. Also figured maybe I'd find a lead or two on a truck by snooping around here!

Anyway, great forum - keep up the good work.

Last edited:

jatonka

Hey, congrtulations on joining Steel Soldiers, I'm south of you near Johnstown. Get to know Fred at Adirondack Dodge Parts in Barneveld, he can be very helpful. John tennis

Prospect62

Wow...cool. I grew up just outside Barneveld...never heard of Adirondack Jeep Parts though. I will definately look him up! Thanks for the welcome.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, I'd be curious to hear where, in upstate NY, you live, too. My parents have a place in Cherry Valley, NY.

Prospect62

Hey guys, I'm in Utica. Actually New Hartford, but figured Utica was more well known. I'm only a stone's throw away from Utica. You guys ever see any CUCV's around here? I've been looking for awhile and the only ones I can find on Craigslist (a whopping TWO) are on Long Island and in Jersey. The ones in my price range, anyway.

Prospect62

Hey, congrtulations on joining Steel Soldiers, I'm south of you near Johnstown. Get to know Fred at Adirondack Dodge Parts in Barneveld, he can be very helpful. John tennis
I grew up on Frankfort Hill, Higby Road. Just 7 miles from New Hartford. we should meet JT
Nine years later John, I'm still looking. Life got in the way. Two kids, new job and a new house later, here I am - finally able to justify buying some green iron to play with. Found an M1008 near Albany that I might take a look at. I'd love an M35A2 to hide in my back yard but can't really justify the purchase...plus there aren't many around here. You ever see anything pop up, let me know.

Dan

Last edited:

D6T

Wow, welcome back from your friends to the east of you!

Usually a decent M1008 or two on Vermont or Plattsburgh area Craigslist, they pop up quite often. Other variants not so much.

Prospect62

Wow, welcome back from your friends to the east of you!

Usually a decent M1008 or two on Vermont or Plattsburgh area Craigslist, they pop up quite often. Other variants not so much.
Thanks! I'm not giving up until I own one. I've been very patient and even completed a restoration of a 1987 Plymouth Gran Fury police car in the mean time. Now that that's done, I need a new pass time. Hope it works out.

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the site and to the best home on the interwebs for military vehicle addicts!! :cookoo:

I will impart a couple ounces of advice on your search for a CUCV. Read every thread you can on the CUCV Forum. Read, read, read, read, and read some more! Read until your eyes see nothing but olive drab and white text! After a couple weeks of straight thread consumption, take a break and check the Classified section. I feel far more comfortable buying a truck from a fellow SS member versus dealing with Scamlist (Craigslist) or ePay.

Prospect62

Welcome to the site and to the best home on the interwebs for military vehicle addicts!! :cookoo:

I will impart a couple ounces of advice on your search for a CUCV. Read every thread you can on the CUCV Forum. Read, read, read, read, and read some more! Read until your eyes see nothing but olive drab and white text! After a couple weeks of straight thread consumption, take a break and check the Classified section. I feel far more comfortable buying a truck from a fellow SS member versus dealing with Scamlist (Craigslist) or ePay.
Good advice, I'll keep on reading.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks