• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just won my first mep002a gen set from Govliquidation - Few Questions

Armada

Anyone from the MI / OH area going out to PA to bring something back? Or anyone from the Chambersburg area coming out towards MI/OH to pick something up that could bring a couple gensets with them this way?

Chow717

Anyone from the MI / OH area going out to PA to bring something back? Or anyone from the Chambersburg area coming out towards MI/OH to pick something up that could bring a couple gensets with them this way?

I might be traveling to WI once the weather settles down. I am looking at purchasing a tractor from a friend near Madison.

rizzo

This idea was rolling around my head too. I haven't even gotten it yet but was a little dissapointed I lost the enclosed one I bid on hearing about how loud these are.

My only concern would be how to properly vent it. Being an air cooled engine, I'm not sure I'd be willing to attempt it. I'm surprised the enclosure currently used allows suffecient cooling.

Scott

i was just thinking I would make an insulated dog house for it with room on the inside for the air to circulate.

aboonski

I won an mep002a gen set with the trailer and must run up to Redstone Aresenal to retrieve it. I am hoping to run a Sears Commercial buzz box welder with this thing once I get it home but not sure if it will have enough amps to support the current draw of the welder. I also want to put one of my small compressors on the trailer (and leave it there) so that I can make this into a mobile work station of sorts. I have too much in the garage right now and need to get the car back in there eventually. I will be taking my 86 M1008A1 for the retrieval.

jdupont

I paid $350 to $800 for MEP002A at GL, I think if it runs up to $1000 is not over priced.
Warms my heart to know I am not the only nut traveling from NH to PA !

Last edited:

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Chester247, did you get batteries for your 002A, if so what did you buy? I have to get some for mine soon.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Doghead, thanks for the links! Recently picked up a couple of these genny sets myself. I have been ghosting these for a year or so and have determined that if GL lists more than 100 or so, chances are you will find they can be won at a far better price. Hours ranged from 0 - 8500 or so.

I paid $350 to $800 for MEP002A at GL, I think if it runs up to $1000 is not over priced.
I have to agree with some of the other posters here, $900 isn't over priced if you can get it running, and producing power easily and cheaply. Also, the more they are selling in one event the better the chances of getting a better price. I just purchased 2 mep-003a's out the door for just shy of $1300, still waiting on the EUC though. One has 1500 hrs and one has 3000 hrs. Considering the fact that if a diesel is taken care of and maintained properly it can get 10 times that amount of hours on it, they are still babies.

jas67

Thanks for all the great replies guys! From the sounds of it, the prices are all over the place. From the responses, I think mine was a little on the high side but still not nuts for what I got... assuming it works. I'm not travelling too far to get it; I live in NH and have to go PA to pick it up do about 450 miles one way. I have a small Haulin' trailer I tow with my Cavalier (1000+ LB capacity) and can pick it up for a very small additional fuel cost. All in all, back to my house it should still cost me under $1000.
Where in PA are you getting it? Did you get it yet?
I'm near Harrisburg, PA. I've gotten a couple items from Mechanicsburg, and will be picking up 3 generators from Chambersburg when the EUC is processed.

Congrats on the MEP-002. $700 is a decent price. I've seen better, but also a lot higher too.

jas67

Figures, there's a MEP003a forsale in MAINE coming up in a couple days!! Dough!!! No enclosure or trailer but a doubly big unit 375 miles closer to home :twisted::twisted::twisted:

-- I would like to put this on a trailer but one that wont raise eyebrows. I love the mil trailers but they are too large for me to be parking in my yard. Anyone else do anything creative to mobilize these units? I was thinking about a Jetski trailer or something similar. Looking for creative ideas others may have come up with?

-- Fuel consumption. This is a big one for me. I plan to use this for emergency power. The last time this we lost power around here we lost it for a week. Some people go WAY overboard with generators and get these 15-17k massive portable units. If gas were $4 or I have a double ot triple the size unit I'd be putting $35-40 a day in it. I dont want to do that just to keep the engine spinning to run alarm clocks and nightlights in the halls. The 5k I ran did everything just fine. Kept the well pumping, clothes clean and the shower hot (LP for just about all heat) and only used about 15 gallons of gas in 24 hour period. That worked nicely for me. How much do these units draw on an hourly or daily basis? The less the better.

Thanks for the help everyone. I'm real excited about my new purchase!

Scooter: I live off NH RT 101 out by Epping
Fuel consumption is a biggy. Yes, many people overbuy generators. If 5KW does the job, then the MEP-002A is a MUCH better fit for you then the MEP-003A. I have an ONAN DJB, which is a civilian genset with almost the same engine as your MEP-002A. The DJB is slightly smaller displacement. According to the manual for the DJB, it uses about 2/3 GPH at full load, and about 1/3 GPH at 1/2 load. You're loads sound similar to mine (well pump, furnace, fridge/freezer, etc). I haven't had an outage since I got the DJB, but my Troybilt 5kw gas set used about 1/2 gal per hour average for a 24 hour outage. Most of the loads are very intermittent, so, most of the time it is "idling" at 3600 RPM. The DJB should use about 1/4 to 1/3 gph under the same conditions. I just recently one a couple of MEP-016Ds and an MEP-016B. These are 3KW gensets powered by a 7HP Yanmar Diesel. These should use even less fuel. I think that they'll still be able to start my well pump, in which case I'll switch to one of these. I'm still on the look out for one with a the ASK. I think it is the MEP-901A if I'm not mistaken. The MEP-003A engine is just a 4-cyl version of the 2-cyl on the MEP-002A. Fuel consumption for your loads will be double that of the MEP-002A, so a minimum of 2/3 GPH. Plus, it is a lot bigger and heavier (I wouldn't try to tow it with your Caviler.

As for trailers, you could just buy a small Harbor-frieght 4x8' trailer to mount it too (make sure the axle is good for about 1000lbs GVW). You might want to just put it in a small shed with good ventilation for cooling, and plumb the exhaust to the outside. Line the walls of the shed with fiberglas insulation, and it will probably be as good as the ASK. Also, in a non-descript shed, it is MUCH less of a theft temptation than it would be mounted on a trailer in plain view.

Let me know when you're heading down to pickup your MEP-002A.

jas67

We got one at Chambersburg the other day with the quiet kit. The paint is peeling badly on the quiet kit, but nothing a couple cans of Gillispie can't fix. It has a little more than 4000 hours on it. We got it for $270. Hope it runs!
Hey! You outbid me? I was going to bid more, but missed the time.
Anyway - congrats!

Maybe I'll see you when I pick up my MEP-016B's.

jas67

ssybert,
I filled out the form.
I have two trucks: 03 f150 6cyl or an 03 expy 5.4
I can get a snowmobile trail but I am not sure it take that much weight.
I paid $677 total meter reads 16hrs.
Stay in touch.
One last thing do I have to fill out any tax forms?

Thanks
Did you get an MEP-002A for this price with 16 hrs!

hedgehog69

I just bought 3 MEP 002A's and a MEP 003a....all with lower hours...supposedly. Can wait to get them home. Enjoying this site..tons of knowledge that I will be needing!!

two.fiveM35

Did they both run when you got them home? Did the need any mechanical work? My wife wants a gen in case we get another hurricane. I'd go for it if it on a trailer.

lonegunman

I paid 700.00 for my MEP-002A with 4.3 hours on it. It needed filters and batteries. I had filters and used two NAPA lawn tractor batts for 30 bucks a piece. It looks like it has 4 hours on it and it fired up after I bled the fuel system and runs like a champ.

You cannot buy a diesel generator of this quality for under a $1000.00 anywhere.

I plan on using it to power the house when we have a week long power outage in the dead of winter, just like the last two years.

ClockworkSkin

Did anyone else out there get any of the trailer mounted sets that just ended at Ft. Meade? I squeaked away with 2 (I wanted a third for my brother) and I'm pretty happy with the ending price. I was trying for one with the ASK but the price went way higher (still less than 1k) than I was willing to pay. I'm excited to pick them up. I've received several trucks but no gensets and I'm hoping that they need the same simple care that the trucks do.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks