• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

trailer cover - can you glue the vinyl cover?

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Might have to make a custom trailer cover for one of my trailers, that GMA does not sell covers for. Was wondering, if you had an old, perhaps damaged GMA vinyl cover, and you wanted to make a custom cut cover out of it, what would you use to "glue" the edges to make them somewhat finished? Can you use a hot glue gun? Shoo Goo? No experience welding vinyl covers, I just want to know what will work, and what won't.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I used Pliobond on my M109's top. It has help up well. I doubt you will find a much better adhesive. Similar, maybe, better, no.

Mike_L

Vinyl Adhesive

Don't use hot glue or shoe goo. They won't hold. We repaired a vinyl tarp on a deuce a couple of years ago and it is still holding. We used a product from our local tent repair shop. Don't remember the name off the top of my head right now but it came in a small can, "HH-" something IIRC. I'll look around for the name and post it if I find it. Very potent stuff-use outdoors!

Maybe someone here remembers what it is.

Barrman

I used Plio-bond as Chris recommended on my 105 cover. It was torn all the way across the back at the top of the rear flap. It held it by itself, but I cut up a bad inner tube and put that on top of the seam just to be sure. I have about 80 miles with the top behind the Whistler at 45-55 mph. Doing great.

I also used Pliobond on my A2 soft top. It seperated from the plastic chanel that goes into the windshield frame. I didn't want it coming off again while I was driving, so I also restitched it with non waxed dental floss. 400 miles later and it is holding great.

Wolf.Dose

How to glue a vinuel-plastric cover

Hey,
the professionals do it with a hot air gun and a matching jet nose and some other equipment. For the first, try to find a truck canvas maker around. Now a days they do not only have a shewing maschine but also have the equipment to weld the plastic tops. But they are normally relatively expensive. I got made a Hexy tent floor made which cost me as a socalled repair (it was not a truck part, only 600 DM, which by that time was about 400 + US$). If you try it yourself (which I tried). you easily shrink the material. It will look not according to your expectations!
Wolf from Germany

ida34

I have used adhesive and a handy stitcher on my top to repair one of the super rope mounting tabs that came apart.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks