• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dave's Neverending M715 Build Thread

davidkroberts

mean looking truck isnt it....... I still havent decided if i want to keep the brush guard or not. It just has that Mad Max thing going for it.

The other is my son who got my love of old iron and his mothers driving ability.

Attachments

davidkroberts

well im updating again, sorry its been so long working hasnt given me allot of time to play with my stuff.

First I cut the "Mad Max" brushguard off. Ive also installed the tailgate and have put a rolled in bedliner "raptor brand" in the truck bed, door panels, and floorboards. The bedliner is great. Im not a traditionalist so im probably being cussed for ruining the last rust-free M715 bed in existance. I missed a few spots with the brush so im going to do some touch up with gloss black spray paint to finish it off in the interior of the truck.

Next on the list is a carb rebuild for the stock 230 tornado engine. Installing the pintle hitch and fixing the tail lights is up next week. The Beachwood Canvas vinyl top is supposedly coming ,eventually, so the final paintjob is waiting until I get the crappy hardtop cut off. Im leaving the tires until the paint is done and am installing a set of Co-Op Grip Spurs on stock wheels for just running around. I also have a set of Gama Goat tires with a wheel center conversion that I will keep seperate and will use when I feel like being different.

Im also including the M101 trailer I bought but havent picked up yet from GL. Who cant use another trailer right?

The truck is great and will probably become my new knock-around "No" I wont help you move truck. Im still up in the air about a engine/tranny/gearing conversion. If I do it will be a 350 chevy or cummins 4bt whichever i find first at a good price.

Attachments

snakeater

and just so everyone knows the truck runs like a sewing machine..........a sewing machine that has no brakes and backfires like a banshee around 40mph, but a sewing machine none the less. That raptor does look good in there although I think I would have had them tint it OD before applying it. Personal taste. It would have been a little more covert. This is looking like the stuff that I am gonna use if the m-211 decides to follow me home this week. I will post pics of it parked next to Dave's m-715 for comparison and also because I have no where else to put it. Snakeater

davidkroberts

I fixed the brakes thank you....:-D

and i still havent figured out the backfiring, sputtering problem so im going to rebuild the carb and see what happens.

Barrman

Check the timing. Those 230's will run on ridiculous crazy advance degrees. Like 60 plus will idle great and go great until you hit 4th gear. Then just sputter.

Floating points is another common problem. Check your carb because it probably needs it. If nothing else, you can mentally eliminate it and know it is good for another few years. Then start in on the ignition.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you care to complete the resto, you might wanna consider dropping the I-beam front bumper and replace with an original or a repro front bumper. I bought one for my old M725 and it was a repro, dropped right in without any mods or fuss.

davidkroberts

Im waiting until I find one in the course of my travels, for the most part the bumper isnt bothering me too much. Im waiting until I find a M715 winch and bumper so i can finish it like i want it.

Ive done allot more work this weekend: finished repainting the outside in OD tinted RAPTOR bedliner, cut the hardtop off and am waiting for better weather before i repaint/ undercoat the frame and wheelwells. The new softtop is the rubberized vinyl from beachwood canvas and I have ordered a regular canvas one from Surplus City. Im also waiting for OD Iron to ship my tune-up kit. The taillights have been updated with much larger M35 taillights. The lights work great but when installed in the stock location the trailer light cover wont open. I just left it open until i can get the cover reworked to where it will close.

Ive also realized that the soft top bows were much too short so im going to bend some 1 inch conduit pipe and cover it with pipe insulation to quieten down the top while driving.

Attachments

Last edited:

davidkroberts

pics of the M35 tail lights and how the trailer light cover doesnt close with them:-D

until I can get the conduit pipe bent for the new soft top bows (others were cut short but were intact) I bent some flat stock aluminum to keep water from pooling in the new soft top. its not perfect but it works

Attachments

Barrman

Looks good. Another mod done sometimes is to take a M35 front light, swap out the yellow lense for a red and put it on the rear. Leave the stock M715 b/o brake light on and everything works, you can be seen and you have another inch or so of ground clearance with is real important with the M715. Those lights are just kind of hung out there with "hit me" engraved on the back.

watrousmark

Don't worry about it, as long as I'm riding a motorcycle any where in the state you will be completely safe on the road. I know, I've been hit three times in the last year and a half. The last one totaled a 2007 Harley streetglide and she had no insurance. But I'll make that sacrifice in order to keep really rare MVs safe.

davidkroberts

well i appreciate your sacrifice to keep my M715 safe. I think they only made about 30,000 of them. Of that maybe half are still on the road somewhere:roll:.

Im still scared to death of motorcycles..... ill ride down a twisty dirt road with trees on both sides on bad brakes, cracked tires, a backfiring engine, and no mirrors but wont get on a new motorcycle because they are unsafe...... strange huh:wink:

watrousmark

Odd you should mention that. Cars scare the daylights out of me. I gave up driving cars six years ago and whenever I get in one or dive one for a lady I'm a bundle of nerves. How can anybody seal themselves into one of these underpowered, nonstopping, nonmaneuvering coffins and feel safe? You can't see out of them, and you can't hear what's coming up on you? Everytime that I've been in an accident I've been minding my own bussiness, if everyone would just quit hitting me I'd be great. My bikes have also been hit twice while sitting in a parking lot during that year and a half. I've got the bulls eye, a great big one.

watrousmark

I didn't know you were a former Black Water operative. The Patriot Guard in middle Tn has kind of adopted those folks since Ron Johnson's funeral (I was the Ride Captain for his funeral). Every year about that time we have a little memorial ride and get together over in Crossville. Thumper comes up and so did Mike Bland before he passed. I'm sure you would be welcome if you want to go sometime, of course there's some drinkin' and some other foolishness. Since I don't drink I don't usually get invited as often as some of our other members.

davidkroberts

Thumper and I have known each other for several years. I dont ride at all but i have been known to drink some although after a wife and two kids it isnt like i used too. Im always up for a get together but am rarely stateside. I still work overseas just not for BW anymore.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks