• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce brake drum

Jim Metzler

Is there a trick for getting the front brake drum off of my deuce?
I removed the wheel and the nuts that look like they hold the drum on but I can't pull it off.

Jim Metzler

I hane a leaky wheel cylinder om the left front. I pulled the wheel yesterday to start in replacing the wheel cylinder. I then removed the small nuts that appear to retain the brake drum. Now I can't pull the drum off. I think it's corroded / rusted in place.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Does the drum require service?, and do you have access to a press? I may be wrong, but I think if you need to have the drum turned the hub and race's need to be installed?

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Jim, I'm in Las Cruces down the road a bit from you, 200 miles....But I do have a shop and brake parts. Napa sells a rebuild kit for the wheel cylinders, but I think they are closed today.

Jim Metzler

I don't have real good access to the drum right now but I don't think it needs to be turned. I can take a better look at that when I get the darn thing off. I don't have a press but can take my assembly to a friend's shop and press them apart. I was hoping for now to just fix the wheel cylinder and service the bearings later but it looks like the truck has other plans.

Jim Metzler

I will be doing good to get the hub assembly off today so getting parts today is not a big deal. I will be asikng more questions I'm sure. I am going to need a spare and lug wrench do you have any you want to get rid of?

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Let me know if you need anything! If you don't have a socket for the wheel bearing nuts, Napa also sells those, I'll put up a part number in a few...Some here will tell you to use a hammer and chisel to loosen/tighten the nuts, I've done it that way, but don't like it because you can't properly torque a nut with a chisel ;) plus it leaves sharp edges to deposit DNA on.... rofl

jimm1009

i would suggest replacing the seals too but that is not a local purchase either.
i had seals sent in a 2 to 3 day envelope for $4.50 (or so) wich did arrive in two days.
you need to look at your brake shoes too. If they are saturated with brake fluid, you may need to replace them.
the torque is really important on both nuts.
read the tm but i think i remember that you go to 50 ft lbs., back off 90 degrees, and the the outer nut is around 150 ft. Lbs.
no way to torque it that tight by guessing.
a loose outer nut combined with bad safty on lock washer = outer nut backing off and hub loosening up. Very bad for bearings which are about $30 per set.
"love" your bearings and treat them well since there is a lot riding on them.
just my 1.2 cents worth.
above all, please ask questions if you can't find it because this is an important area of your truck.
ps: Examnine the bore of your wheel cylinder after honing.
4 of my 6 were still too bad so i replaced all 6 so i knew there would be no problems for a long time.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks