• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Millermatic 200

I have the opportunity to buy a millermatic 200 for $200.00. No tank comes with it but it has a new gun on it.The problem is it welds good and is not abused and was not used much but every so often smoke comes out from the unit.My old boss has it so I know the history on the machine.Does anyone have any input on this model or have any suggestions.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
That's one heck of a deal! I paid over a grand for my MM210 with a bottle of gas, extra wire, and accessories. Like Lanty said, even if you need to have it repaired, you still come out great on the deal. Your local welding gas outfit should be able to hook you up with a bottle lease pretty reasonably.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've got a 200 miller, and am happy with it. But the only thing I have to compare it to is a 110v cheapo welder. Traded repairing a forklift, and moving a stamping press to get it. It was one of 5 that needed looking at or repairing, most problems were with the switches, or corroded contacts on the relays.

Dennis

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like a good deal but the smoke issue has me a little concerned. Remember that after a welder looses all it's smoke it won't work anymore :wink:.

Rattlehead

I have an older Millermatic 200 and have run numerous 35 lb wire spools through it without a hitch. The only thing I have done on it was to replace the gun's trigger last year after dropping it.

If you find out the repairs will be too costly, I might be interested in buying the gun and cables.

WPNS421

As said before $200 for a used Millermatic is a steal, the smoke might be from dust and dirt that have entered into the machine and when it heats up these particles burn and create the smoke. Buy it and take it to a Miller dealer and have him look at it, he will tell you what is wrong and what it will cost to repair it. Trust a brand name a no name machine means no service or parts further down the road.

Nonotagain

The gears for the wire feed sit right above a high voltage tap. If the connections to the tap are loose they can heat up with use and any grease that flings off the gears will smoke.

Tighten up the connections and lightly lube the gear shafts with high temperature silicone grease.

If the smoke does not smell "electricial" in nature and is not constantly seen it's probably not a cause for concern.

yeager1

I have a larger version of that welder and have hundreds if not thousands of hours on it with no problems, just basic maintenance on the gun/liner. Great unit, get it and clean it out well (the fan may have pulled a lot of junk in- get it and clean it good and run it). I clean mine with an air gun regularly due to dust issues. Even if it need some repair its still a good deal. Of my 5 welders, it's still my favorite for most tasks (in that amp range).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks