• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just Bought My First Deuce

offroadchev

Banned
Hi I am OffroadChev,
A new SS member,MV owner,Haver of a lot of fun!!! Just bought my first MV a 1977 AM General M35A2 WO/W D-turbo. I found the truck on this website,from indiana even with a clen title, from docfarmall. It was everything i expected and more,Thanks much!. I had never driven a truck this big before but have drove medium duty trucks in the past. This thing was nothing like that at all, it was so much better!!! Took the hilly roads in southern indiana really well. Only thing it lacked was an experienced driver,but i was learning fast as i went,i had to. I drove down from just east of South bend,In in a 99 Civic. Picked the truck up just west of Cincinati,OH loaded the Civic and hit the road. Now i'll tell you these roads are like gourges. It was awesome, this thing took the hills and small winding corners just fine as long as there wasn't a car coming. Couldnt even tell my car was on there. Drove all the way back to Elkhart without a problem. Really i Loved it,need better seats and cold weather kit though. It was 30* when we left,without heat, and 14* when we arrived home. We being me and my roommate,sorry. Dressed warm of course got a coleman propane catylylic heater 3000 btu, and emergency shake em up heat packs. Didnt need em though it was windy as hell. I thought you guys were joking about being on an old wooden sailboat lol. It was about a 250 mile trip tihnk we made 2 stops. Got about 10-12 mpg with a 3000 lb car on the back I think thats fine. Even came with a full tank of fuel amazing used under a half tank. Ran 50 mph down the intersate with the hand throttle out at 2250 rpm like a champ with plenty of pedal to spare,though i dont want to hurt this wonderful piece of machinery. Semis on both sides of me in the middle of 6 lanes of traffic. I seen a van with a vinyl of a woman all laid out wrapped in ribbons that said "Don't Drive Naked" good advice huh?I was a little nervous but not much. I have a 1983 E350 cutaway with a wooden bed thats 8'6" by 12', so its wider than the deuce just not as long,by about 6'. The turning radius surprised me in those winding uphill narrow roads,I think docfarmall took me that way on purpose thank you:-D. Only had to back it up once,only forgot 3rd to 4th once i think thats pretty good for my first time. There is a dock right down the road from me to unload the car,bonus, even had a dock to load the car. Car gets better gas milage lol, about 40 on the highway. But the Deuce if alot more fun. Just knowing that if the **** hit the fan I can go just about anywhere. We get some tornados up here but not that often. A year ago there was a bad one though. Trees every where downed power lines it was crazy. I've always been a Fan of MV's, big trucks and the likes. What boy or man isn't? Been thinking about buying one for 6 months now researching lately alot. The light swithes in these things are insane I mean for me a nonMV driver for now. Think I'm gonna fix that. Hook up a regular style light switch and do an LED light upgrade, maybe some air ride seats out of a GMC 4500 or med. duty International they get pretty low and have a flat base. Dont know if i want to go with a 24-12 volt converter or a 12v alternater and battery setup, was hoping for any info as to the reliabilty and longevity if anyone has any experience with either. I hope my pics works as its my first time posting as well. I'll try though, I know how you all LOVE pics lol. I guess that only leaves what i'll be using it for. As my name implies I LOVE the offroad fun, mainly cause Johnny wont let me have fun on the road lol. I have atv's,snowmobiles, go carts and friends with huge boggers that they cant drive on the road of course. This thing will haul just about anything I can foresee me using for quite some time. And pull out anything i can get stuck. This is my hauler and recovery vehicle as it was designed. Single out the rears and get some taller tires to get some highway speed. I'd like to run 60 without damage thats plenty. 50 on the I-465 could have been better but not bad. Well I hope I didn't ramble on too long and look forward to hearing comments, questions or anything else.

OffroadChev

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome and a good looking truck, Jeff took care of you. As far as the light switch, they are a work of art. A regular switch can't do all the functions your truck requires. I'd take some time and get used to it, most folks with M series trucks can manipulate it easily with one hand. If it's just not flashy enough, there is a solid state one with LEDs and backlit.

lstmate

MVPA Convention Invitation

WElcome to SS!

Now that you have a MV start making your plans to attend the MVPA Convention in Evansville, IN August 5-8 of this year!!!!

offroadchev

Banned
I also agree about the dangers of using the hand throttle as a CC. Thats why i only did that on the open interstate when no one was around. Through the city, i mean come on im not that new!!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks