• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1950 m38 rims

jollygreen

hey im looking for original rims for a m38 50-52 near st. louis if any one knows of any reply back and we can shuck and giv for them -scott

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Are M38 and M38A1 rims the same?

skytroop232

Jollygreen,

I used to have an M38 and I can't remember what the difference was, but there is a distinct difference between civilian rims and military. If I can remember i will let you know.

I'm sure there is a current 38 owner out there that can help.

Bob

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You might have to get some repros - most of the originals out there are so-so in condition, I wouldn't trust my life to them. The repros are very nice, and the right size for your restoration. Cost is about $100 per.

SteveJ

Most of the M38 and M38A1 rims were made by Kelsey Hayes. and most not all are stamped so.

WW2 jeeps used a split 2 piece combat wheel that was bolted together. Also used 600-16 tires.

M38 and A1 used a one piece wheel and 700-16 tires. The M100 trailer same wheel.

Military ones:

Some (not all) have a small 1/8 drilled hole in the bolt circle. (purpose unknown)
The valve stem lines up with a bolt hole on military ones.
The military ones wee riveted together.

Civy ones

Valve stem does not line up with bolt hole.
Were welded together.
may have some goofy clips or bumps to hold a hubcap.
Came in 15 or 16 inch.

What Ive run across over the years. Hope this helps.;-)

m38inmaine

Contact willy10 here on ss, I gave him a set and I think they are extra to his needs, they are original M38 wheels.

nat42gpw

BILLF, i have 2 with old used 7.00x16 tires mounted on them that have the small hole and the valve stem lines up with one of the lugnut holes,and 2 with no tires mounted that have the small hole but valve stem doesnt line up with lug bolt hole,would be willing to trade all 4 for a good spare rim and tire for my gpw(combat wheel with a 6.00x16 ndt tire,dont care if its a repop wheel or original).

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
BILLF, i have 2 with old used 7.00x16 tires mounted on them that have the small hole and the valve stem lines up with one of the lugnut holes,and 2 with no tires mounted that have the small hole but valve stem doesnt line up with lug bolt hole,would be willing to trade all 4 for a good spare rim and tire for my gpw(combat wheel with a 6.00x16 ndt tire,dont care if its a repop wheel or original).
This is a 10 year old thread , I would hope he found some by now.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks