• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Canadian members and their Vehicles.

maritimer

Nova Scotia here, just got my cucv m1009 to tinker on * which is getting kinda extensive in tinkering* i will be looking at aquiring a couple of dueces, a 5ton wrecker, and hopefully some armour either tracked or wheeled. wouldnt mind getting a hemtt at some point.
Starlight another member * based primarely out of florida* has a cottage up the road from me. and i know hteres a couple of other members around that share the snow belt with us

m109guy

There are a few of us. Just do a search and I am sure a lot of info will pop up on where we are and what we got ;)

CanadaDeuce

Canadian MV owners ..........

Good morning guys, greetings from the west side of Canada !

Well seems the MV thing up north of the 49th is a bit slow, too bad as I think were all missing out seems Canada has forgotten we too have and have had a great military history and saving this equipment should be parimount but it seems this is not the case as of yet, not much CDN equipment falls into the publics hands it seems BUT even the US equipment is way cool and it is up here as well so thats good as really its the equipment that facinates me ;-)
Im hoping by next summer some kind of green or brown iron will be in the yard and I too can join the ranks.

I dont have a MV yet but working on it, there seems to be interest so hopfully as we all get the word out and more people inc here on SS in the US allow us to help spread the SS word, green iron is green iron from Deuce to Iltis to CUCV they are all MV in my book.

Well if any of you CDN guys wanna yak PM me, would like to hear about your equipment.

CanadaDeuce

ChubbsMcGee

I have really been getting into the MV restoring scene, My first purchase though is in the process and it's a Canadian 1955 Dodge M152 military panel utility truck 4x4 Power Wagon M37. It needs a full restore and the back utillity section has been removed and thrown away so I will have to find the parts or rebuild from new material. Getting it home is a big issue too, as it is in Alberta and I'm in Ontario. Within the next couple years I am going to be ready to locate a British Chieftain MBT or maybe I will get lucky and the Canadian military might start to unload the aging Leopard C1's, wishful thinking though!! I know there is a fellow in Alberta that s owns a Chieftain and I spoke with him on the phone about his and it only got me that much more excited to get one!!
Well time will tell but us boys have to have our toys!!!:-D

CanadaDeuce

All

I just wish the Forces would unload those Deuce trucks, Ive been lookin all over and cant find a one up for auction anywhere, surely the replacments must be here or comming soon .......... only real difference in the CDN and US version is the single brake system and they have detroit diesels instead of Multi and the auto trans, well maybe one day they will show up for sale , but knowing the way things are done up here they will sell them off to another far away country and the average CDN will never see them .

CanadaDeuce

m109guy

I have really been getting into the MV restoring scene, My first purchase though is in the process and it's a Canadian 1955 Dodge M152 military panel utility truck 4x4 Power Wagon M37. It needs a full restore and the back utillity section has been removed and thrown away so I will have to find the parts or rebuild from new material. Getting it home is a big issue too, as it is in Alberta and I'm in Ontario. Within the next couple years I am going to be ready to locate a British Chieftain MBT or maybe I will get lucky and the Canadian military might start to unload the aging Leopard C1's, wishful thinking though!! I know there is a fellow in Alberta that s owns a Chieftain and I spoke with him on the phone about his and it only got me that much more excited to get one!!
Well time will tell but us boys have to have our toys!!!:-D
Several C1's were auctioned years ago. I know there are a few people with them, but the military ripped the turrent's off and only sold the lower hulls. And unless you are ready to dump $50-60K, good luck in scoring one, and that is just for the lower hull.

I have seen a few chieftains for sale. One was on ebay about 4 years ago and sold pretty cheap (around $18K I believe). But unless it is in Canada, you will probably have a hard time importing a tank unless it comes with an official certificate from the military saying the gun has been properly de-milled. Without the certificate they will not let you import it what so ever, even with the breach cut apart, they want an official certificate from the military that sent it to surplus and nothing else.

Tanks are cool, and I would love to have one myself, but you also realize that you need something to transport them with and a place to store/play with them.

All

I just wish the Forces would unload those Deuce trucks, Ive been lookin all over and cant find a one up for auction anywhere, surely the replacments must be here or comming soon .......... only real difference in the CDN and US version is the single brake system and they have detroit diesels instead of Multi and the auto trans, well maybe one day they will show up for sale , but knowing the way things are done up here they will sell them off to another far away country and the average CDN will never see them .

CanadaDeuce
Ummm, they have started auctioning them, I have two in my yard. You must have missed a few threads here where we talked about them:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?t=28403

There have only been 3 auctions of MLVW's that I know of. One in the Quebec City area, but those were all bought by a company who scrapped the trucks because they only wanted the differentials. There was another in the Montreal area, and one in the NL area.

And no, the replacement have not been selected yet. They are being replaced by the MSVS Medium Support Vehicle System), but they have yet to choose the design and company who will produce them.

Last edited:

m109guy

Last edited:

CanadaDeuce

Maybe if we talk real nice to the Moderators of SS they will make a seperate section for Canuk's and our equipment ? ....... that would be cool

what ya think ? ......... kinda like SS of the great white north ! ;-)

CanadaDeuce

m109guy

Yeah that would be cool. They have a section on non US military equipment, but they only put it up for European military equipment (unimogs, Pinzgauers, etc).

If they just put a section for "Canadian Military Vehicles/Equipment" I think it would be sufficient.

ChubbsMcGee

I have seen a few chieftains for sale. One was on ebay about 4 years ago and sold pretty cheap (around $18K I believe). But unless it is in Canada, you will probably have a hard time importing a tank unless it comes with an official certificate from the military saying the gun has been properly de-milled. Without the certificate they will not let you import it what so ever, even with the breach cut apart, they want an official certificate from the military that sent it to surplus and nothing else.

Tanks are cool, and I would love to have one myself, but you also realize that you need something to transport them with and a place to store/play with them.
I know all about the transporting of the tanks as I use to do heavey haul and still have access to the equipment to move these goliaths!

As far as the chieftains go I know that The fella in Alberta that has one, it cost him around $30,000 us for the tank and another $37,000 to have it shipped from England to his house.

Also for the gun, you can have them with no prob without being demilded because the one in Alberta if fully functional except the fact that the gun needs to be aligned/calibrated? and he is not willing to do that with his just to fire waded shells. The tank also came with the laser range finder, weapons system cpu and night vision.
With tanks of late they all had to come with road worthy tracks meaning you are able to run them on the road without screwing it up.

And yes I am willing to pay $70,000 to own a mondern MBT , the rush of having one is unbelievble to which I have yet to experiance. LoL

Not trying to be Mr,Knowitall just relaying what I heard from the man that has one. :roll:

m109guy

Also for the gun, you can have them with no prob without being demilded because the one in Alberta if fully functional except the fact that the gun needs to be aligned/calibrated? and he is not willing to do that with his just to fire waded shells. The tank also came with the laser range finder, weapons system cpu and night vision.

Not trying to be Mr,Knowitall just relaying what I heard from the man that has one. :roll:
Actually, that is completely wrong. If he somehow has a fully working gun (is able to fire rounds if he got a hold of them) he has a VERY illegal vehicle. I don't doubt he told you that it was legal, but it is NOT in the slightest. The breach must be welded shut or cut out. Contact any agency you want and they will all tell you the same thing. If he somehow got it into the country like that, someone was asleep on the switch. My father is a ex weapons tech for the Canadian Military and he confirmed this. He was called several times while in the military to inspect tanks as well as work on tanks to make sure the guns were not functional. The tank can drive and the turret/gun can move, but it cannot be able to fire. Some people have modified them to fire paint-balls or a smoke charge, but that was done by installing something in the place of the cut out breach.

Hell there is a company in Montreal that sold a set of deck guns to an American a while ago. The guns are both completely de-milled. The problem is that there is no paperwork from the military that confirms this (even though you can clearly see it when you look at the guns). But they are not allowed to be imported into the US without it. The US has a lot less strict gun laws than Canada and they wouldn't take some old rusted, de-milled deck guns. Do you think Canada will allow a fully operational tank to be imported into Canada with our laws? I don't think so.

I am not trying to sound "know-it-all" myself, but it is common sense and can be easily confirmed by calling many government organizations. I know that he is the one telling you this, but I would check before committing on any purchases. Would hate for you to spend $60K+ on a tank that is stuck at the port because you cannot bring it into the country legally.

If you have the money to buy a tank, then I wish you luck as it is a very expensive and exclusive part of the MV hobby ;)

Last edited:

ChubbsMcGee

Thanks for the update M109guy, I believe you on the part about the gun, which I always thought that was the case. Even a demiled gun is fine with me, as long as the tank works the way it was suppose to minus the working gun. Far as the cost you refer to if I had the money, and I have had this question brought to me many times and my response is, People spend how much on a Corvette, Lincoln Navigator, BMW etc etc etc. I have no problem spending the money on such a great peice of machinery!!!

P.S good to have someone like m109guy to keep things straight.:-D

LET'S WORK ON GETTING A CANADIAN SPOT IN SS!!

Superdave

I guess I will ad my fleet to the list:

2 M152's
2 M37's and 2 M37 parts trucks
1 M43
1 M135
1 M35A2C
5 iltis runners and 40 salvage units
1 M101 trailer
2 M104 trailers
2 M101CDN 2 trailers

The OD disease has hit me hard :-D

ChubbsMcGee what do you need to know??, you have a M37 (3/4 ton pick up) or a M152 ( 3/4 ton with the van body and side windows and a single rear door) they are two different style of vehicles.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks