• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Canadian members and their Vehicles.

bambulle

i was wondering if anyone knows where i could find a canadian deude for sale in the montreal area. secondly i was thinking can we drive deuces on the road in quebec/canada if not can they bemadeto drive on the road?
thanks

m109guy

A company in Beloeil sells the MLVW's.

At the moment you cannot drive them on the road as you cannot get them registered for road use. Several people are working on fixing that right now.

Lex_Ordo

The legality issue is interesting. Why Aren't they legal? Is it soley based on Canadian Motor Vehicle Registration issues, or is it because of the vehicle's nomenclature being Military in nature?
What about the Iltis. Is that leagl for street use?

m109guy

The legality issue is interesting. Why Aren't they legal? Is it soley based on Canadian Motor Vehicle Registration issues, or is it because of the vehicle's nomenclature being Military in nature?
What about the Iltis. Is that leagl for street use?
Nothing to do with the licensing/DMV offices up here, the military simply doesn't want them on the road for the chance that it might come back to bite them in case there is an accident or something (ie. You get in an accident where someone gets hurt and the media comes out with it being a "dangerous old military vehicle"). We are looking at a few avenues to get around this. This is the first time they have done this for a military vehicle. What is stupid though, is that a US deuce can be registered with no problems (for the moment).

Once you pass a regular vehicle inspection, the iltis is fully legal to drive on any road or hwy. Ours have been registered and driving on the road for nearly 6 years now.

Last edited:

Lex_Ordo

I see, It sort of mirrors the US' decision to not release any more M151's after the lawsuits began due to operator eror, and the collisions. The subsequent destruction of the MUTT, became the solution. :evil:

m109guy

The M151's never really hit surplus up here. They cut them all up. They first cut them in two, but the guys would just buy the parts and weld them back together. So the military cut them in 4 and threw the parts into different containers every time so that no one could match them up.

Hopefully we will be able to get ours registered as they are in excellent shape and not dangerous at all. We will see.

Edmonton,alberta here...currently the only mv i own is an m-1010.
the yard described above is next to the union hall i belong to.last year he had 4 or 5 iltis for sale in various levels of condition.havn't been by the place in months
it's not really a "yard" per-se...he seems to be sharing/leasing space from a landscaping company,along with several c-cans out back.
no telling what he has stored out of town though.
i thought of an iltis...until a few former members of the military i spoke to,mentioned that driving he iltis at high speeds in traffic wasn't the most fun experiece...a little to unstable,narrow,with the tendency to fold in half when rear-ended,and precious little roll protection.
a sweet little rig for narrow trails though...

Superdave

Actually the yard is shared by the iltis.ca and iltis4x4.com as both share in the parts purchases then devide them up and sell as seperate business. I beg to differ on the iltis as I have owned them since they were relased and have nothing but great luck with all of the ones I own and drive as well as others I know. I think if you go by former members of the military they would most likly say that all MV's were no good in there mind. Ambulancechser do you drive yours much as I do not believe I have seen your truck around Edmonton at all??? If you wish to see more MV's around the Edmonton area we usually hang out at the wendy's on Saturdays from 12:00 on at 118th ave and 142 St.

i live out on the east end...i rarely get out towards the west side unless i'm at the pick and pull,scouting for parts for my other truck (ford).i'l have to drop by the wendy's some day.
despite the downturn in the economy,work has been crazy lately...i havn't driven the m-1010 in a couple of months.i still start it every couple of weeks to keep the batts charged.
if you see me on the road,the truck is lifted a bit,on 37's.all green,and hard to miss...4bta cummins swap is in the works.just gotta get power in my new garage.i don't think there's another m-1010 in the area.i havn't heard even a rumour of one,though i have seen the occasional iltis running around.
i guess i'll actually have to drive an iltis before i can fully judge it...assuming i can fit in to one.

ChubbsMcGee

I think if you go by former members of the military they would most likly say that all MV's were no good in there mind.
I will have to agree with the military guys on there opinion but only to the extent of the iltis wasn't a very good combat vehicle. My brother has been in the military for 16yrs now and said the same thing when I mention I was looking to buy one. Good combat vehicle-No, Good in Private hands-Yes.
You got to figure the military's opinion is based on a vehicle that is probably loaded to the MAX if not over loaded and they are trying to get from point A to point B as fast as they can! If you have ever MAX loaded or overloaded a vehicle you will know about what i'm talking about on how it handles!
I haven't been in one but just looking at them they look like they would be fun around the town and out on the trails.
Just my opinion!:-D

M135CDN

the foldable iltis?

I have had the body off of two Iltises now to do body work on them and I can't believe they fold up in a collision. The bodies are unit construction and with the corrosion in the body seams I can see some weakness developing. The frames I have seen do not deteriorate and show little or no sign of rusting and are very robust. I would think that even with the corrosion in the body, the combination of frame and body metal thickness of the Iltis would make for a very interesting post mortum in a collision with one of todays pop can cars.
That being said, I sure wouldn't want to drive an Iltis on a major multy lane highway either.
Precious little roll over protection is an under statement.

Steamynachos

Does anyone know what the issue of registering ex military trucks are i called a registry office and they told me that a memo was sent out by transport Canada that no military trucks were to be registered for on road use.

ChubbsMcGee

Does anyone know what the issue of registering ex military trucks are i called a registry office and they told me that a memo was sent out by transport Canada that no military trucks were to be registered for on road use.
People are working on that issue, I'm not sure why Canada is being so difficult !!

EZFEED

WOW guys! I hope you get a section for Canadian memebers here!

I have a question if y'all dont mind me asking it.

I am curious about purchasing an Iltis up there. How much do they cost and which models are the best?

Is the diesel version available????

WPNS421

The biggest problem with registering MV's in Canada is the lack of Knowledge at the licencing office, yesterday I spent 2 1/2 hrs at the office to register 2 x deuce. I purchased the vehicles from someone who bought them at Crown assets and sales at crown asset are run by a contractor hired by the govt. Well, I had the bills of sale, a letter from the company who sold me the trucks, the original bill of sale from the contractor hired by the govt, etc... I had everything until the employee asked me to prove the the govt contractor was authorized to sell govenment vehicles. I left the office with a big smile and my tongue nearly bit off, went home jumped on the computer, went to the DND website and found the proof she needed back to the office on Monday. By the way she was really mad because I did this on a Friday afternoon and she really had to work at it. Don't forget , with govt it's all about paperwork.

WPNS421

I don't know what the issue is with the Iltis is, it is a jeep!!!! not a tank. It is a great little vehicle, I drove them in the military, my sons and I have them and we have put over 20,000Kms on them(12,000m miles for our US friends) and we have NEVER had a breakdown not even a flat tire. I have driven them on major highways such as the 401 not a problem, but you have to like being passed. I remember coming up from Montreal to Ottawa in a blinding rainstorm with no top other people were stopped by the road but that little Iltis kept going. Rust is an issue, but that is not due to faulty materials, it's due to the vehicles being parked outsde with no tops and having filled with water because someone was too lazy to remove the rubber drain plugs in the floor. The thing that I absolutely loved with Iltis is the stares, waves, thumbs up and the way people would gather around and look at it. I think that the awe factor is one of the biggest joys we MV owners have, everyone stops, stares and wishes they were in our shoes. Please guys, give the Iltis it's share of credit it proudly served for over 20 years in a role it was never designed for, a jeep built to act like an armoured vehicle.:-D:-D I would rather be seen in an Iltis than on a big expensive hog.:roll: Small jeep type vehicles are a dying breed, if you have one protect it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks