• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Canadian members and their Vehicles.

EZFEED

Thank yu so much!!!!!

Can some of you owners chime in about reliability issues and fuel economy.

I will be shopping for a new truck pretty soon. I have a UAZ-469 on hold but if an Iltis would be more economical then I may swing north the CA......
I thought about buying another F-150 or 250 but mine isn't too bad and I still have a 67 Mustang for a out on the town car.

I drive 32 miles one way and back on my 7 days or work, then I have 7 days off. Is this too much?

I kind of want the diesel version if they are available too.

m109guy

The iltis is a great vehicle. It is a blast to drive and we never had any problems during the 6 years we have owned them. The only problem you will have is that you face will hurt from smiling all the time while driving it.

Fuel economy and a military vehicle do not go together. Enough said.

We had one person here drive one as a daily driver for 2 years (even in winter), so it is possible.

No diesels available. They were never made for the Canadian military. But if you want a diesel, just pull out the current engine and drop in a vw rabbit diesel and it will work with no problem.

Don't forget though that the iltis is not 25 years old, so while you can bring it into the US, you cannot register it for road use for another few years. Check with the DMV in your area.

Forget those companies that sell the iltis. They will rip you off bad as you can buy one from other places for 1/2 the price that they will sell one to you for.

A reasonable iltis, in decent shape will set you back about $2000-2500. Price goes up if it is a special unit like an ambulance, linesman or radio version.

I drive my all summer with no doors even in the rain, and it is a blast.

Last edited:

M135CDN

It is nice to see so many positive comments about the Iltis on this site. It seems the Iltis , like the M135, has a dedicated following of detractors. Being a fan of both vehicles that must make me a champion of the under dog.
Here is my solution to the body seam rust problem the Iltis is plagued with, a frame up re-build with a NOS body.

Attachments

WPNS421

I fanyone needs new body panels Prefair in Mtl has a whack of body panels. He also has 4 Iltis for sale but they are in poor condition and require a lot of bodywork. I also know someone else who 10 15 in good condition for sale.

Superdave

M109guy, they might be a average of around the $2500 range out east but here in Alberta the average price that they sold at auction was around the $3500.00 mark and they have gone up since then. I guess it depends on the province that they were sold in and the quantity that were avalible. I have only seen a handfull of iltis driving around here since they have been sold and there were around 3-4 hundered that went through the auction.One nice thing about most of the western units as most of them were 95 percent rust free as compared to the eastern provinces.

m109guy

$2500 is not the price that they came out the auction out east, but the average price of an iltis in Canada. Most came out the auction around $1000-1500max around here, and they were some of the last units the military kept and in good shape. The market was flooded with them as well as parts a while ago so they really aren't worth a huge amount for a standard unit in okay condition. Yes once they are cleaned up, body work all done and painted, they can go for say $3500 but not much more. If you are willing to pay more than that then all the better but I see no reason for it. Just check ebay for example and you will see all the iltis jeeps that didn't sell. One of those companies in Alberta put one up for sale on ebay all fixed up with new parts and paint and they couldn't sell it. They started at $6500 and didn't come close to selling it. Last I saw it, they put it on ebay for like $4000-4500 and there were no bids for a pristine looking unit.

The reason why you don't see all that many driving around is that most of them were bought up and scrapped or are sitting in the back of yards. Plus it is not something everyone drives everyday. I have seen many pictures lately of yards full of them both on the west and east coasts. Some people bought a ton of them, now they don't know what to do with them.

The market has been flooded and is dead for iltis jeeps right now. People will just have to sit on them and the parts for a while until things heat up again (which is somewhat doubtful in this economy).

I know many companies that bought tons and tons of M37's and parts for them 30+ years ago when the US military sold them all off. It wasn't until say 10-15 years ago that they started really selling the parts and making money off of their investments. That might be the same for the iltis.

EZFEED

The iltis is a great vehicle. It is a blast to drive and we never had any problems during the 6 years we have owned them. The only problem you will have is that you face will hurt from smiling all the time while driving it.

Fuel economy and a military vehicle do not go together. Enough said.

We had one person here drive one as a daily driver for 2 years (even in winter), so it is possible.

No diesels available. They were never made for the Canadian military. But if you want a diesel, just pull out the current engine and drop in a vw rabbit diesel and it will work with no problem.

Don't forget though that the iltis is not 25 years old, so while you can bring it into the US, you cannot register it for road use for another few years. Check with the DMV in your area.

Forget those companies that sell the iltis. They will rip you off bad as you can buy one from other places for 1/2 the price that they will sell one to you for.

A reasonable iltis, in decent shape will set you back about $2000-2500. Price goes up if it is a special unit like an ambulance, linesman or radio version.

I drive my all summer with no doors even in the rain, and it is a blast.
Thank you very much for this info!!!!! I am really beginning to like this little vehicle and I think it would suit my needs very well.
I see I will have to bring it in as a offroad vehicle/engine only on my EPA and HS-7. Well thats no problem and I can wait a little while for it to "mature".

I understand what your saying about fuel economy but can you give me some idea as to what you average or what you think it burns? And not all military vehicles get terrible economy. Believe it or not, my armored Czech truck gets 12-14 miles to the gallon and it weighs 11.5 tons. Only thing is I cant do much past 45-50mph.

Is there an Iltis forum and do you reccomend anyone in particular that I should buy from?

Lex_Ordo

I was always a bit curious, as to the condition the Iltis was surplused in. I ask because I have the M101 trailer, and it seems that most were released as surplus in un-issued condition. I don't know how many were really put into service and how many sat, but my serial number is high; 1690, and there were only 1,973 made so was this also the case with the Iltis? Is it possible that a lot just sat around? Would this explain the rust issues?

Of course I love my M35A2, but since I have the 1/4 ton M101 trailer, and since it was made to be towed behind the Iltis, I have thought about either getting one in addition to my truck, or one day selling the truck and invest in the Iltis.

ChubbsMcGee

We are going to need a thread just about the Iltis!

Who has contacted their local MP about the issue of licensing MV's in Canada, or what avenues have been taken to get MV'S licensed ?:?::?:

m109guy

Important info!

****VERY IMPORTANT INFO. PLEASE EVERYONE READ****

Does anyone know what the issue of registering ex military trucks are i called a registry office and they told me that a memo was sent out by transport Canada that no military trucks were to be registered for on road use.
When I read this, I thought that someone at the license office was just being an ass and that it was untrue....until today.

We went to the license office today and were told the same thing. It is now official that the military has sent out a notice to the ministry of transport and all license offices in Canada not to allow any more military vehicles to be registered. The license office now demands an official letter from the company auctioning the vehicles stating that they are authorized to sell surplus military vehicles to the public AND that the vehicle is allowed to be registered for road use. A letter which the auctioning company (Michener Allen Auctioneering Ltd) has stated they will not do. And yes we did call the auction company and that is what they said.

So anyone who has any unregistered military vehicles is officially f*cked as of now. I am told this also applies for things like iltis jeeps that have not been previously registered. Even if you don't think you are going to drive one on the road it would be a good idea to go to the license office ASAP and try to get it registered right away just in case your particular office did not get the notice.

We now have two MLVW's that are only good for "off road" use even though they are fully functional :x

A sad bloody day indeed.

We sent a letter to our local MP about this a while ago, but have yet to get a response (if they will ever). I would urge everyone to do the same in the hope that something gets changed.

22b

This cannot be from the Army. They have no legal say in regards to assets as such. It is important to find out which department of the Government made this decree.

m109guy

This cannot be from the Army. They have no legal say in regards to assets as such. It is important to find out which department of the Government made this decree.
I was told "unofficially" that the military is scared about possible lawsuits in the future from accidents due to the old style breaking system (i.e: selling "dangerous" trucks to the public"). They don't want to look bad in case someone rules that someone got killed because of the outdated breaking system. They informed Transport Canada about this and told them not to issue registrations.

It may not be the military who made the official decision, but it has been made sadly.

EZFEED

I was told "unofficially" that the military is scared about possible lawsuits in the future from accidents due to the old style breaking system (i.e: selling "dangerous" trucks to the public"). They don't want to look bad in case someone rules that someone got killed because of the outdated breaking system. They informed Transport Canada about this and told them not to issue registrations.

It may not be the military who made the official decision, but it has been made sadly.
Such BS, sorry to hear of this guys. Sounds like what happened to the M-151 here in the states. I find it amazing however, that they will allow us antique auto collectors who have cars like Model T's with mechanical brakes on the road.

Well, if you guys want to dispose of your unregisterable Iltis's then let me know:-D As soon as they are in the antique age group I will register it here. :wink:

ChubbsMcGee

You know this is a bunch of CRAP!! Our Government is so messed up!! Do we not have to SAFETY vehicles in Ontario and Canada?!?!?! By doing a SAFETY it now puts the responsibility on the person/Garage that has done that safety!! No matter what kind of brakes any vehicle has it must have a SAFETY done on it, and repairs done if need be to make it in a safe legal operating condition!!!!!!!!!

Something isn't right here guys/gals!

Could we come up with a Standard or a couple versions of a letter to send to our MP's, I will do them up if need be but I would like some help.

If you don't here from your MP within 30 days, you simply send another copy of the letter again and again until they respond!!!!

LET'S NOT BE THE NORMAL LAID BACK CANADIAN AND DO NOTHING ABOUT THIS!!!!!!!!

COME ON LETS GET THOSE LETTERS STARTED !!!!!
:evil:

M135CDN

Well that just dropped the price of unregistered Iltises and made registered ones more desirable. By all means flood the military and your MP's offices with correspondence about this. I'm sure they have no other burning issues to deal with at this time. It might be smarter to accept the fact that a single cell master cylinder brake system on the MLVW will never pass a DOT safey standard. Having said that, everyone who wants to own a truck can get pissy all you want, it wont make a difference.
Now for the rest of use who have vintage MV's with those types of braking systems, do we want officialdom stating to ask questions about ours and have them pulled of the road as well. Definitely two ways to look at this, isn't there.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks