• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Canadian members and their Vehicles.

m109guy

Well that just dropped the price of unregistered Iltises and made registered ones more desirable. By all means flood the military and your MP's offices with correspondence about this. I'm sure they have no other burning issues to deal with at this time. It might be smarter to accept the fact that a single cell master cylinder brake system on the MLVW will never pass a DOT safey standard. Having said that, everyone who wants to own a truck can get pissy all you want, it wont make a difference.
Now for the rest of use who have vintage MV's with those types of braking systems, do we want officialdom stating to ask questions about ours and have them pulled of the road as well. Definitely two ways to look at this, isn't there.
We were told that all military vehicles (including M135/M211's and US M35's) that are currently registered are safe (grandfathered). But that anything new would be denied registration (like any iltis, MLVW and future surplus vehicles). Though due to the age of some vehicles such as the M37, M43 and even the M135, I am sure most places would still allow you to register them as long as you don't state that they are military vehicles. Just tell them that they are old trucks that a farmer never registered and you "shouldn't" have a problem. Though I cannot guarantee anything.

I was under the impression that MLVW ,s could be registered as commercial vehicals !
No sadly. It is written on the bill of sale as "Non repairable/Unrecoverable, No ownership, Parts Only".

Even with an inspection they will not let you register them.

If we could register them as a commercial vehicle, I would have put them under my company. But they won't register them what so ever.

sMoothEric

Hello,
My name is Eric.
I have had an Iltis and 2 M101 CDN trailers for about 3 years now.
I also have had an exBATUS Defender 110 FFR and Sankey (matching trailer) for 2 years.
I am in the Ottawa (Luskville,Quebec) area, and think I may know some of you already.
I am interested in the MLVW, and hope all this registration stuff works itself out.

ChubbsMcGee

Having said that, everyone who wants to own a truck can get pissy all you want, it wont make a difference.

Now for the rest of use who have vintage MV's with those types of braking systems, do we want officialdom stating to ask questions about ours and have them pulled of the road as well. Definitely two ways to look at this, isn't there.
You know the "it won't make a difference" and "they have better things to do" attitude is the Canadian way isn't it. Don't bother, they don't care, Right!

I don't believe that, I do realize there are two ways of looking at this issue but yours M135CDN seems like you don't want this hobby to grow and are just looking out for those of us who have trucks now. Find an upgrade for the trucks, with all the aftermarket parts throughout the automotive industry there's got to be something that would make our trucks legal and thus opening up the path for others to follow?

I don't mean to be disrespectful towards anyone, it just burns my rear-end when things like this happen!;-)

ColdWarCanada

Canadian Bombardier Iltis Yahoo group

For those of you on Steel Soldiers, that wish more information on both the Canadian Bombardier Iltis, and the German VW Iltis, please feel to join the Yahoo Iltis group. Lots of great information, photos and some manuals. The best resource is the wealth of experience of the members on the restoration and operation of this piece of Canadian Military History,

If you have questions on the restoration of this vehicle, please feel free to ask.

Cheers!

Last edited:

Seatyger

I have 3 M135's in differing configurations and state of repair LOL! Alaways looking to expand the fleet-to-be. I figure if I act fast enough I can acquire as many as possible before the wife figures out what the heck I'm doing.

A bonus is they are stored off site from home. This is also the biggest P I T A when it comes to working on them!:-D

NL-M35

More CDn MLVW's

I bought my deuce about a year ago on tender from a local auction company. It had not been running for at least 3 years and had the radiator and starter removed. One of the oil filler caps was missing for most of the time that it was sitting. There were three others sold at the same time. We bought rads from Montreal with the help of M109guy - excellent guy to help out and commercial starters. So two of the four are running. Shadeydave installed the rads and starter and crnaked it over - starter with very little hesitation.

There was a large auction of parts in New Brunswick in the Spring 09 but I am told that a scrap dealer bought most everything.

Currently there are no MLVW's on the road in NL. With regards to brake safety issue is is possible to install a more modern braking system. Shadeydave who owns two of the NL MLVW's that were auctioned has that figured out.

Our vehicles are used mainly off road at the moment until the licensing issue is sorted out.

CMP Nut

Down in Windsor...or Up in Windsor...

Hi CMP Nut

chiming in as another from the cold white north...

The idea or re-rigging the brake systems to meet the requirements for private use on public roads will be far far easier than to get Big Brother to acknowledge Surplus vs Salvage.....the Department of National Defence will always get "special treatment" (and so they should) when dealing with MVs on public roads. I have never seen a M113 with a private plate on the road for example.

cheers

Mike

for you Canucks who have not yet seen www.militarymuster.org

put it on your calendar and see you there....

asbell

Hello maritimer; 2hrs east of you at colin peels surplus [aylesford 847-9458] their are 3 iltis and a 6x6 for sale, if you or anybody your way is interested.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a 1974 US M35A2C with winch. Softtop (brand new) and singled out (still on 9.00-20....for the time being).
It is registered and has ON plates.

I am a stickler for safety and replaced all flex hoses, brake cylinders and service brake shoes. Rust free truck, never seen salt, steel lines are all perfect.

Attachments

This is a picture of a DHC-3 Otter by DeHavilland. It has the markings of the 408 Squardon RCAF and first flew in 1951.The plane also was with the Canadian armed forces Reserve with the 411 Sqdn at CFB Downsview. hope the Canadian members of this site enjoy it.

Last edited:

Stan Leschert

ILTIS.....I was issued several. We always tried to get something else....Even a Budget Rentals Blazer. The Iltis was crap. One Issue was due to overheating and that crappy thing was only safe to climb a hill in reverse. Lack of speed, combat stamina and servicability were other issues. The only saving grace is the width. Narrow alleys were not a problem. The impossibility of armoring them is why they aren't in combat zones now. If you want one, get one....I want nothing more to do with them! Lt. Leschert (CF Retired).

Last edited:

jeepfreek

hi.im in ontario.near ottawa.been collecting a long time.currentley i have1-41gp,4-gpw,1-m151a2 uncut,6-mb,6-m38,5-m38a1,2-m100.2-mbt,42 dodge .love military jeeps.regards jim.

Stan Leschert

Re: Importation of Military (Historical) Vehicles. I just found this old doc on the web. I don't know if it has been enacted, but since none of us knew in advance.....Well you know the story. Please tell me that I'm wrong. I want an M-35 A2 W/W.
http://www.tc.gc.ca/media/documents/roadsafety/mvsadisc_s.pdf

I just got into the hobby, and my MP has already had his ear bent off a couple of times by me....something to do about gun control. Doesn't that meant the skill to hit what you're aiming at and the discretion not to do it, unless your life (or that of anyone under your protection) is in immenent danger. (Sec 25 Criminal code of Canada).

At that time it mean sending $$$$B of money to political party hacks, to spend at home for more snivel servants in their home riding!
OK no more rants.

Let me know if these restrictions are now in force. Can we register previously unknow ( to them) Vehicles.... Thanks Guys!

Let's have your feed back and current experiences. This may radically change our hobby!

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks