• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Canadian members and their Vehicles.

Donut

The tank can drive and the turret/gun can move, but it cannot be able to fire. Some people have modified them to fire paint-balls or a smoke charge, but that was done by installing something in the place of the cut out breach.
How does the smoke charge work? I'm guessing it isn't a projectile fired from the main gun. Is it more along the lines of a smoke grenade/canister type deal?

Just curious.

VBenedetti

Hello from the Province of Quebec !

I am now the proud owner of a 1986 Iltis - tailgate model.

This is my point of entry in the world of MVs and I am sure this will be a long love story ! ;-)

Cheers!

Vincent

Attachments

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: Importation of Military (Historical) Vehicles. I just found this old doc on the web. I don't know if it has been enacted, but since none of us knew in advance.....Well you know the story. Please tell me that I'm wrong. I want an M-35 A2 W/W.
http://www.tc.gc.ca/media/documents/roadsafety/mvsadisc_s.pdf

I just got into the hobby, and my MP has already had his ear bent off a couple of times by me....something to do about gun control. Doesn't that meant the skill to hit what you're aiming at and the discretion not to do it, unless your life (or that of anyone under your protection) is in immenent danger. (Sec 25 Criminal code of Canada).

At that time it mean sending $$$$B of money to political party hacks, to spend at home for more snivel servants in their home riding!
OK no more rants.

Let me know if these restrictions are now in force. Can we register previously unknow ( to them) Vehicles.... Thanks Guys!

Let's have your feed back and current experiences. This may radically change our hobby!
I think that this never went beyond the stage of being a discussion document. It is getting quite old. Also, some points in there lead me to believe that this would meet fierce industry resistance.
"Free trade" is ok - as long as it means that the pertinent industry can control the gate. If you read about the "Auto Pact", one of the hallmarks was standardisation of safety equipment and construction. This allowed comparison of automobiles from different countries and led to equivalence. Yet, as soon as people began to import vehicles from overseas because they could not get them in-country with the desired trim level or engine choices, industry forced a regulatory clamp-down to control the market. When, let's say Chrysler, decides to NOT sell a turbo diesel powered Dodge Caravan to North Americans, but actually makes them in-country for export to other markets, then YOU surely must be prevented from importing this vehicle into the US (or Canada). Otherwise, it would be free trade, you could simply buy what you want and that would mess with the pre-programmed "you can only buy what we allow you to buy" lineup of vehicles.
It is not about competition, but control. Look at the CD/DVD regionalisation. Same thing.

As far as MVs are concerned, all I could find was the reference to the Forces being allowed to import and use vehicles that do not meet the standards; Joe Blow would have to make them meet the standards, once they are released from service. Up to a point, that is reasonable. It would depend on which standards they refer to - current standards or the ones that were in effect when the vehicle was first registered by the Forces.

So, long story short, I would not worry at this time.

Last edited:

ChubbsMcGee

Just an update since I started this thread a while ago. I now own an M43 Canadian Ambulance, I found it just a few kms from my house sitting in some guys yard. I guess I was in the right place a the right time. We were replacing a culvert just own the road from the guys place and my boss happened to see it and told me about it so I went to see the guy at the end of the day.

Now talk about being in the right place at the right time, well it is kind of unfortunate on the owners part but hey. When I spoke with the guy he told me all about it, where it came from, how long he had it etc etc. When we started talking about price it got interesting, we have all seen what vehicles have been going for on the open market and I didn't want to pay big bucks for it and then the owner mentioned the big "D" word. YES he is going through a divorce and needs to get rid of it. Now I'm not one to take advantage of someone else's misfortune but I knew the price was going to be lower than normal and so it was.

So i paid for it, call my friend who owns a towing company and had them come with a tilt and load and hauled her home! I have since pressure washed and blew out along with removing by had birds nests etc, but for now it's going to stay the way it is until after the MILITARY MUSTER show here in Essex County. Mike the Show coordinator and I have agreed to have the M43 on display at the show as is so people get an example of the condition the vehicles are in before the restoration process starts.

It's killing me not being able to start the restoration but that's ok, in due time then its full speed ahead!!

Anyone know of the location of stretchers or other parts for the back compartment etc for the ambulance?

elvis3006

Rob from Owen Sound Ont.i own a 43 Ford GPW and 44 WC51. i plan on getting an open cab CCKW ,am i going to be able to register this in Ont or am i gonna hit a brick wall? are the problems registering surplus MV's only apply to ex Cdn current MV's? thanks

DeneMoore

Vancouver here. Parked in an alley in Kitsilano.

I'de love to start or be a part of a network here. I understand there is a group that does all terrain road trips around Hope and Abbotsford with Unimogs, but have yet to hear about any other deuces in the area. I've seen a few cucv's, but thats all. I do know of 2 owners of Canadian deuces, but the older ones, which are the only ones available are not quite as impressive as the american models.

Last edited:

WPNS421

First post!
I'm from Ontario but currently serving in New Brunswick with the CF. I own an Iltis with m101 trailer. Happy I came across this site, found quite a few useful threads so far.
Are you the same Law as the gent in Ottawa and if you are have you paid back your Dad for the Iltis(he-he)

WPNS421

Vancouver here. Parked in an alley in Kitsilano.

I'de love to start or be a part of a network here. I understand there is a group that does all terrain road trips around Hope and Abbotsford with Unimogs, but have yet to hear about any other deuces in the area. I've seen a few cucv's, but thats all. I do know of 2 owners of Canadian deuces, but the older ones, which are the only ones available are not quite as impressive as the american models.
Boy you have to come back East and I don't mean into Alberta. In Ontario there ar a lot of Deuce owners and even 5 tons. We own 3 MLVWs, 1 x M35A2, 1 x109A3 and a M816 wrecker. Check our website MilitaryTrucks.ca Website , it is a free site run by my son. I like you deuce avatar.

WPNS421

Just an update since I started this thread a while ago. I now own an M43 Canadian Ambulance, I found it just a few kms from my house sitting in some guys yard. I guess I was in the right place a the right time. We were replacing a culvert just own the road from the guys place and my boss happened to see it and told me about it so I went to see the guy at the end of the day.

Now talk about being in the right place at the right time, well it is kind of unfortunate on the owners part but hey. When I spoke with the guy he told me all about it, where it came from, how long he had it etc etc. When we started talking about price it got interesting, we have all seen what vehicles have been going for on the open market and I didn't want to pay big bucks for it and then the owner mentioned the big "D" word. YES he is going through a divorce and needs to get rid of it. Now I'm not one to take advantage of someone else's misfortune but I knew the price was going to be lower than normal and so it was.

So i paid for it, call my friend who owns a towing company and had them come with a tilt and load and hauled her home! I have since pressure washed and blew out along with removing by had birds nests etc, but for now it's going to stay the way it is until after the MILITARY MUSTER show here in Essex County. Mike the Show coordinator and I have agreed to have the M43 on display at the show as is so people get an example of the condition the vehicles are in before the restoration process starts.

It's killing me not being able to start the restoration but that's ok, in due time then its full speed ahead!!

Anyone know of the location of stretchers or other parts for the back compartment etc for the ambulance?
Just reading this post 6 months later, i saw your M43 at the Muster Aand I am looking forward to seeing it in Aug 2011. Strectcher can be bought at Safety Supply houses and are usually cheaper than surplus items. If you need anything post it on our site for free www.militarytrucks.ca

eaw46

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Eddy here in Regina Sask. I own several MVs and have them all registerd here in Sask. with Vetran plates. I sold the Iltis
1942 CCKW 353 W/W
1943 White Half Track
1944 DUKW
1947 Jeep 1/4 ton
1963 Unimog 404S
1967 M725
1971 Jeepster Nato unit
1971 M35A2
1986 Hummve amb not registerd yet but I do have a 96 H1 on the road.

Attachments

RICKSHAWSAUTO

Hi rick shaw / shawsauto /from winnipeg mb. I have 13 iltis various cond/ just finnishing a gama goat / just started a dukw / 38a1 / m42 / t16 / lookn for
more / like i don,t have enough to now --eh

sherlockd

I am from alberta and I have been in contact with Dave from Eastern re: a Bobbed Deuce. I am wondering if anyone know for sure that I can inport register and insure the truck after I buy it? Has anyone had a provincial inspection in alberta? If so would it be worth it for me to use the guy who did the inspection?
I am also wondering if I dont' buy a bobbed will I need my class 3? I might move up to a 5 ton un-bobbed.:driver:

$15000 questions?
Cheers,

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks