• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Canadian members and their Vehicles.

Superdave

I am from alberta and I have been in contact with Dave from Eastern re: a Bobbed Deuce. I am wondering if anyone know for sure that I can inport register and insure the truck after I buy it? Has anyone had a provincial inspection in alberta? If so would it be worth it for me to use the guy who did the inspection?
I am also wondering if I dont' buy a bobbed will I need my class 3? I might move up to a 5 ton un-bobbed.:driver:

$15000 questions?
Cheers,
I believe I replied to your PM with my PH #a while back, Give me a call and I will give you the info.

Dave

WPNS421

It is easier to import and register a truck in Ab than it is in Quebec. There are many people who have US trucks in AB, including 5 tons. The import process is very easy and once the vehicle is inspected you should have no problems registering it. Take a look at my avatar, it is a 5 ton wrecker M816 and it was purchased from Eastern, imported into Canada and registered. All my MVs are insured with no problems, some companies might require a vehicle evaluation depending on the type of insurance you want i.e. fire , theft etc.
A deuce has hydraulic brakes and in many provinces you only require a class 5 license, a 5 ton will require a class 3 primarily because of the weight.
As to buying a bobbed or not?? Personally I wouldn't. But I have taken a deuce and removed the front axle to make it a 4x4, the truck is more manouverable, lighter, better acceleration and fuel economy but with a loss of traction. Tires are a big thing on a bobbed/4x4 deuce you need tires with good traction.

Attachments

sherlockd

Thanks, That was very helpful.
I have chatted with Dave at Eastern and I really like them. You noted you would not buy a bob? Why is that? I would like the truck for a possible DD, running on WMO and Fryer Oil and the like?

WPNS421

Not a bobbed, personal preference and apart from showing off the truck, I don't find it useful. I have been driving military 6 x 6 for the pass 35 years and we own 2 x MLVWs, 1 x M109A3 and a M35. The ML with a single axle has great tires on it but the traction is not that hot unless I have a lot of weight. The second I hit snow, I engage the front wheel drive.
As to using WMO and fryer oil as a fuel, you have not figured the costs out too much. WMO in Canada is not thrown out but is collected and recycled by big companies and as a result they pay garages for WMO, this also applies to cooking oils. Once you caculate the cost of buying or making the filtration system, collecting the oil, additives and regular fuel for octane. In my books it is not worth it. How many miles do you plan on driving per year? Unless you have loads of free oil, time on your hands, storage and separatng facilities again not worth it.
I do a lot of driving pulling with a MKT and the M35 is fully loaded with equipment for shows and it is still not worth the effort.
ALSO: Check with the local autorities, especially Revenue Canada for the legalities of running WMO/Fryer oil. You will require special permits and you will have to fill out and submit declarations on usage and pay levies. If you get caught with WMO in the tanks without the permits it is the same as using colored farm diesel and believe me the fines can be hefty. It is you decision but do some serious checking before jumping in with both feet.

2010 Arlington Air andMilitary Vehicle Show

Just throwing it out there to see how many Canadian members SS has and what type of vehicles they have and where they are from. :grin:
Check the video out on Supersite.Check out the Thread: Upcoming Events: Arlington 2010 Air and Military Vehicle show on Page 8, post 72. Good pictures and video taken by members of this website.

Last edited:

eaw46

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I do not know any of the history on my Dukw but I am sure there are some here who can give us some advice and information. Here are a couple of pics of mine. It came from a NY fire dept that was using it for river rescue and was running and floating in May of last yr. They had two and one had a minor fire and someone was hurt. They then got rid of them. I bought the one that was not in the fire. It has had a bunch of stuff modded on it and needs some work to get it back to orginal. Farmer Greg has one I am intrested in getting next yr I just have to work it all out. I would love it if anyone has any info on thease units or advice and help on getting it back to orginal. Eddy

Attachments

budman67

Hi guys,great thread and an awesome forum.I wanted to know if I understood
correctly,that if I redid all the flex lines cylinders and brakes,I could register a
MLVW?

WPNS421

The answer to your post is no. You cannot register an MLVW, believe me I have been trying every trick in the book and no such luck. This week I had the provincial police that examined my MLVW and long story short no can do.
What he did tell me is to have the truck registered as an artisanal vehicle. To do that you must make 2 to 3 major changes to the main truck components i.e. change the engine, change the transmission, alter the frame or differntials(go from 3 to 2)
To make the truck artisanal in Quebec I would have to change the i.e Detroit to multifueller or cat, transmmission to a stick and do frame work..
|Basically I will change the frame.

Attachments

budman67

That is insane:cookoo: Thanks for letting me know.I was looking on Militarytrucks.ca
and saw a nice Iltis.I was looking for one to put my radio gear in,I'm in southwestern
Ontario.

WPNS421

Yea unfortunately the Iltis is sold and it was very nice. It belonged to a friend of one of my sons. Put an ad on the militarytruck.ca and ask for an Iltis, to place an ad is free. The site belongs to our family. I have been banging my head trying to get my 2 MLs registered but no luck. From the rumour I have heard in Ottawa, when they retire the last MLVWs they will make sure they are not roadworth i.e. sent stright to scrap or cut up.

Stan Leschert

If Gilles has not found a solution, it will take some time. He is one of the more knowledgable CDN MV persons. But do take heart, If he can find a way, from what I've seen.... He Will! And then let the rest of us know. If I happen to find the right way to do it, ... Gilles will still beat me to it.

Just a hint, all provinces have different regs, so if another member can post a success story... You know where I'm going with this!

And it is not a conspiracy theory, there is a concerted attempt to keep MLVWs off of the road. I have have a few conversations at ministerial level, and they are not willing to take the risk that an old Army Truck got in an incident, and killed a voter.

Last edited:

budman67

Yea unfortunately the Iltis is sold and it was very nice. It belonged to a friend of one of my sons. Put an ad on the militarytruck.ca and ask for an Iltis, to place an ad is free. The site belongs to our family. I have been banging my head trying to get my 2 MLs registered but no luck. From the rumour I have heard in Ottawa, when they retire the last MLVWs they will make sure they are not roadworth i.e. sent stright to scrap or cut up.

I am on seasonal layoff,and on call for snow removal and that is really slow.
It will have to wait till I get back to work full time.:sad:

eaw46

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had my Iltis licenced for the road here in Sk and it is still on the road now but not mine anymore. I had my old Ferret licenced and I have several MVs licenced here now but most as antiques. I have two old jeeps with the old style brakes. I have a 42 GMC flat front I also have a 71 M35A2 I bought in the US licenced here and I am sure that is the same as a CND MLV but with the standard trans. Why can I licence a M35 but not a MLV?? I have a CCKW and a DUKW with the single master brake system. I also have a 42 White half track licenced for the street. I thnk my M37 and the M725 have the newer brake system but I cannot understand why I can have some but not others?? What am I missing. I hope they do not start to say I cannot renew my plates if somone starts inspecting them. Eddy

budman67

Can someone help me with an Iltis question,I wanted to install a radio
system in an Iltis,is it the tailgate or regular one or both that this can
be done like seen in this picture from Militarytrucks.ca?

Last edited:

elvis3006

DND is only concerned with covering its ass in regards to MLVW's. they do not want any liability coming back to them if an accident occurs in one of their recently surplused vehicles.thats it pure an simple. our older or other MV's are alright,its just DND causing a fuss over the MLVW.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks