• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Sea Mule

martinf

I own a 1944 WWII Sea Mule. Thats a tug boat of sorts, twin screw, 40 ft long 30 ton with 2 Chrystler straight -8's in it for power. I realize that this is off-topic, but I'm hard pressed to find much info on this boat for restoration purposes. ANybody out there know anything about these or anybody who floats one?
thanks,
~martin

tamangel

Interesting project..good luck on your endeavor. In a quick google search, I see that you have appeared in many different forums seeking info.. Hopefully something will show up for you..

Mike

a few links/pics for info junkies:
http://books.google.com/books?id=9UadXCvGFPwC&pg=PA69&dq=WWII+chrysler+Sea+Mule+tug

http://www.vsisurplus.com/seamule.html

see page 10:
http://chryslerheritage.com/sec500_pdf/Chapter7.pdf

even a video:
http://www.militaryvideo.com/store/store.cfm?titleID=SeaMule&do=detail

an excellent book for Army Boats in WW2..
U.S. Army and U.S Navy Vessels in World War II (cover pic below)
By: David H. Grover
isbn: 978-0870217661

Attachments

Last edited:

martinf

Hey Mike,
Thanks for the ad pic. I've seen lots of them, but not that first one! My particular boat is model 5b, a bit bigger than the one in the ads, but basically the same thing.
The pictures you found of a sea mule in, er, tired condition, well, that is my boat! I bought it from those folks for basically scrap steel price to save it from the torch (which was where it was headed.)
Turns out to be in pretty good condition. Now it's time for sandblast and paint.

~martin

Last edited:

scooter01922

Welcome man, this certainly isn't off topic IMO. This place is for all MVs, we just don't happen to have many that float. IF you can post up some pics as you progress in the resto, i love boats, tugs especially.

saddamsnightmare

March 6th, 2009.

A wild liittle machine.... I almost bought the USS Cockenoe, a 93' US Navy YNT-37 (Yard Net TenderWWII Pearl Harbor,HI Dec. 7th, 1941).) tugboat, and wherever I fetch up next where there's a navigable river, maybe an Army ST tug (45'). Just cause they don't have wheels doesn't make them lesser steel soldiers!:razz:

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan:wink:

Last edited:

oilcan

How about the STEEL FLOATERS forum

I like the idea, but let's put a little more thought into the name! ;-)

There's really no use for serious watercraft around here. The river is all dammed up, and almost all the locks are busted. :cry:

martinf

Hi All,
Thanks for the encouragement and I will keep you posted. Wsa hoping that I'd find someone here that new about these boats. They made 8,000 of them, but I have only been able to locate 3 in the ientire country and nobdy who really knows that much about them.

Regarding the name...well, at least it's a name other than numbers and letters (thankfully my M-29 weasel has that second name so I can call it that). In fact, my Weasel will be riding on the Sea Mule one of these days.

I'd appreciate it if any of you scare up any info about Sea Mules to give me a holler.
~martin

martinf

Yes, Chelan, so, I'll be floating it on the lake, pushing logs around and what not.
I got it down on the Columbia across from Hood River, right by Bingen. And got it for basically scrap metal price.
~martin

Alvah

Sea mule

I own a 1944 WWII Sea Mule. Thats a tug boat of sorts, twin screw, 40 ft long 30 ton with 2 Chrystler straight -8's in it for power. I realize that this is off-topic, but I'm hard pressed to find much info on this boat for restoration purposes. ANybody out there know anything about these or anybody who floats one?
thanks,
~martin
I found another Sea Mule and am very interested in this boat, but I would really like to find parts sources for the engines, Chrysler Royal Marine M8, before I buy it. Does anyone know of any sources for parts for these engines? Thanks! Al

Hi All,
Thanks for the encouragement and I will keep you posted. Wsa hoping that I'd find someone here that new about these boats. They made 8,000 of them, but I have only been able to locate 3 in the ientire country and nobdy who really knows that much about them.

Regarding the name...well, at least it's a name other than numbers and letters (thankfully my M-29 weasel has that second name so I can call it that). In fact, my Weasel will be riding on the Sea Mule one of these days.

I'd appreciate it if any of you scare up any info about Sea Mules to give me a holler.
~martin
A little late on this. but maybe you are still tuned in. I have little more to add about the boat itself but I have come across information that some of these Sea Mules were powered by Chrysler diesels and I would like to confirm or deny that. The Chrysler diesel was a Lanova Power cell diesel engine with an Ex-Cell-O injection based on the Chrysler 331ci truck six achitecture. It was built '38 to '42 at least, and possibly to '45). Story is that one of these Sea Mules was seen in Australia in the early 1950s with diesels when the US Army was disposing of assets there. The Chrysler diesel was offered in Dodge Trucks to '42 and also as industrial/marine engines. They were used by the military in some capacity in WWII, as there was a manual for them (TM 5-5406, 8/15/44) that indicates at least 600 were purchased.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks