• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need Help in Chambersburg

Armada

This really isn't a transportation need but seemed like the best heading to put it under. I need help with prepping a couple items for shipping. I've got 2 mep002 generators at the Chambersburg GL site that need to be prepped for shipping. To make a long story short, the UPS store located there went last Thursday and prepped them. I called them Friday to confirm and talked to the actual guy that did it. He said it was all set to go. The carrier came Tuesday for pick up, and they were to be delivered today in MI. Well I called GL in Chambersburg to see if in fact they were picked up, and I was told the carrier refused them since they were not prepped. I then talked to Matt, the site manager at GL (great guy), and he told me he had my authorization for the UPS store but that they never showed. He even checked the front gate and no sign in there either. Sooooo, the UPS store stiffed me, and the carrier showed and left, so I'm sure I'll be charged for that, plus I have to reschedule them to come back. I've been checking everywhere within a 100 mile radius it seems, and no one will go there, at least no other UPS Stores. Is there other places you guys have used to prep something for shipping in Chambersburg? Is anybody here near the place that could throw a pallet under them and secure the load. Matt says he can lift the gensets and set onto a pallet, but they have no pallets. They are mounted on their own steel 'pallet', but apparently the fork spacing on them is different than a standard pallet jack, thus the need for a pallet. He said they need wrap on them too. Anyways, any ideas on how to get this done? Thanks.

M37Dodge

If you get extremely stuck, I live ~1 hour away in Elizabethtown, PA. and could possibly go over there on the 16th - as I have off that day and help you out. I also likely can get free std size pallets. I have no idea how big the gen sets are or pallet size needed for each. Wrap? Maybe buy it at a shipper or do the classic Seran Wrap from the grocery store - gen set likely needs way too many rolls for this option.

You would be picking up the gas, wrap, and buying lunch!

Again, consider me the option of last resort as the wife has off that day and will push the hunny-do list for things at home (it is a rather long list).

I suggest asking Memphis Equip, located in Chambersburg, PA, for assistance as they are at the GL yard weekly and accustomed to setting up loads for shipping on their trailers.
-M37Dodge

Armada

M37 Dodge, You bet... gas, wrap, lunch, and then some! Thanks for the offer! I'm hoping I won't have to go that route, plus I wouldn't want to get you on the wifes bad side..:wink: That's a great idea checking with Memphis. I never thought of them going in and out of the place. I'll check with them in the morning and keep you posted on what happens. Heres a couple pics of the units. Anyone else have any ideas?
BTW, these measure 51" long so they are just 3 inches longer than a std. pallet, an inch and a half overhang on either end will not be a problem.

Attachments

Last edited:

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Besides putting them on a standard pallet, what else would need to be done??

Strapping them down?

Is Chambersburg GL open on Fridays? I know the DRMO is but would they allow me in to do this?

Nonotagain

M37 Dodge, You bet... gas, wrap, lunch, and then some! Thanks for the offer! I'm hoping I won't have to go that route, plus I wouldn't want to get you on the wifes bad side..:wink: That's a great idea checking with Memphis. I never thought of them going in and out of the place. I'll check with them in the morning and keep you posted on what happens. Heres a couple pics of the units. Anyone else have any ideas?
BTW, these measure 51" long so they are just 3 inches longer than a std. pallet, an inch and a half overhang on either end will not be a problem.
Nice score on the Mep with the ASK kit and the other genny with the NEW slave cable.

Chambersburg does no load outs on Mondays or Fridays, or that's what I was told when I purchased a Mep-003 from them a couple of months ago.

I scheduled my load out for a Tuesday, made arraignments for a trailer to tow the unit home then GL called me back the Friday before and cancelled my appointment due to a Federal holiday. They ended up rescheduling me for the Monday that I wanted all along.

Most trucking companies won't load freight that overhangs a skid, even a couple of inches. Not sure why the trucking company won't load the genset as-is as the skid that it's mounted on has fork truck cutouts.

You might want to get the ASK unit wrapped with some cardboard or plywood since the dent up pretty easy.

Armada

Well, I spent yesterday on the phone calling a number of other places with zero luck. The Memphis idea was a bust. They did give me a couple phone numbers to local guys that haul for them. Those turned out to be dead ends as well. I talked to Mike at the base and he is going to try to come up with some more numbers this weekend. Carnac, they are open on Fridays and Mike is available. The gensets would be difficult to band down, especially the one with the ASKit as it would bend/damage it I think. The wrap could be put around it at the base and include the edges of he pallet to help secure it. Or maybe tie the metal genset skid or bottom 'rails' to the pallet through the fork openings in the 'rails'?
Adding cardboard to protect the ASK is a great idea and I would put it on myself if I were prepping them, but it is probably asking too much. I'm trying to keep it to a minimum for someone that may be able to help.
I can't believe how this has turned into such a pain in the arse. I'm still ticked about that ups store guy, Doug, and he's the owner. If he didn't want to do it, then just say so up front! Don't give me lip service and cause every other schedule to collapse! Unbelievable.

Last edited:

brianrbull

Load Help

Hello, I am having a friend go to Mechanics Burg in a few days to pick up a FLightline Wheel kit for me he has a 1 ton cube van there will be room I am sure .PM me and lets figure this out. I would go my self but I am in the Sand Box for a bit yet........

Armada

Thanks for all the offers and suggestions, guys. Yeah Chow717, I talked to Daves trucking too and it wasn't something they would do. The good news is that Matt (the GL site manager), called me yesterday and said the carrier I was using was at the base to pick up a load for somebody else. He asked him about the gensets again and the driver said if I would fax a waiver saying I wouldn't hold them responsible if they became damaged during shipping, then he would load and deliver them. So I did. They are on their way supposedly. Hopefully they show up in the same condition they were picked up in.
Maybe this was a different driver? All I know is that something so simple has been a pain in the arse. I hope this experience helps someone else. Just know that if you need something packed out prior to shipping in that area, you're pretty much on your own. And I certainly wouldn't use the UPS Store and Doug in Chambersburg.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks