• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bulb Voltage interchange Chart (6V 12V 24V, for trailers and trucks)

datsunaholic

Just be advised that the standard 12V 1157 2-element bulb and the listed 1662 24V 2-element bulb are actually wired opposite. I had to do some wire swapping to make that exchange work. Haven't found a TRUE 24V "1157" replacement.

ida34

I got the 1662 and filed off one of the pins on the side. This allowed me to put it in the socket backward so the lights worked without rewiring. Worked just fine.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
http://old.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?module=pagesetter&func=viewpub&tid=3&pid=45

It is a beter copy too.

Thanks for the note about the 1157 vs 1662. I wonder what idiot designed them that way?

Since I will be wiring an M105 pigtail in, I can take that into account and swap the wires (might have to add a pair of diodes between the 12V tail light source and each 12V tail light filament depending on the trailer's existing civvy harness).

- and while we are at it, in the same section, Lights Bulb NSN from PS 670:
http://old.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?module=pagesetter&func=viewpub&tid=3&pid=77

Last edited:

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Job done. It was simplest to use two surplus "bridge rectifiers" taken from a scrap power supply to route the voltages properly. Works perfectly and no annoying wire-swapping required.

The user has only to install the right bulbs depending on if it will be towed by the 12V civilian vehicle or the 24V military vehicle. There are two pigtails. One fits the M35 and one fits the pickup truck. Instructions are attached so that anyone can do this pretty easily. The connections and diodes can be stuffed in a plastic or metal box if necessary.

The attached file has been submitted to the Technical Articles section of the Resources.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks