• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Reasonable? Realistic? or not?

ChalkOutline

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...00305802877&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT&viewitem=

This one just closed on Ebay, 10K :shock:. I have an M715 and an M1008, and I love the little M442's and WAS considering getting one in the next year or two.

But if this is really the going rate for one in nice condition.... a little too steep for me to get the OK from the wife :cry:. Is this one an anomaly or not?

I know they are more scarce than most MV's, but is a "down" economy if they command that kind of coin, I will have to pick a different little MV to pursue.

Thanks,
Jeff

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It would have brought even more if it had been properly restored. This is what Mites are worth.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep, but there was another one recently on ebay that was only 6000 buy it now, in decent shape. Really surprised someone didn't buy that one. If I had the time, I'd be working on my mite, but the M108 is first.

Dennis

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mites have never been that popular. I would say the one on ebay is the exception not the rule. A good place to look is MV magazine or some of the MVPA club web pages. Did you know a mite will drive on only 3 wheels?

Chuck

Mike_Pop

The average price for a Mite is between $5-7K. A restored Mite will get upwards of $12K.

As far as popularity, I disagree with SETOYOTA. Everywhere I take my Mite, it's very popular, especially with MV owners.

I tried driving my Mite on three wheels but I think the M422A1 is not balanced to do that. Maybe it's on the M422 that can be driven on three wheels? I did manage to drive mine on two wheels!: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?t=24467

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Mites have never been that popular. I would say the one on ebay is the exception not the rule. A good place to look is MV magazine or some of the MVPA club web pages. Did you know a mite will drive on only 3 wheels?

Chuck
So will a Mule

ChalkOutline

So if they do pull this much or a little less, is it blasphemy to get a shell and modify it with a different little engine and drive train? I bet there would be a bunch of fab work needed, but since parts to restore are so expensive I think a more modern and reliable drive train might end up being cheaper and in the end much easier to find parts and work on. I saw an ebay auction for 3 Mites, none were complete but out of the three I think 1 could have been made with many spare parts left over, they didn't sell and were "only" a grand.

cbvet

I tried to buy the Mite on ebay, with the $6000 "Buy it Now". Was told auction was ended.

Contacted seller. He said still for sale, anxious to sell. I said I was really interested, please send a phone number.
Have sent 3 more messages, have gotten no response.
I guess he either changed his mind or sold it.
Kinda rude, not even responding.
Eric
CBVET

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The frame on the mite is really light stuff, about like the WWII jeep. Not set up at all for Dana 44's and the like. Think of the mite as a Kawasaki Mule that can go 55 mph.

ChalkOutline

The frame on the mite is really light stuff, about like the WWII jeep. Not set up at all for Dana 44's and the like. Think of the mite as a Kawasaki Mule that can go 55 mph.

That's what I figured. I was thinking along the lines of the axles, motor, tranny and t-case from a Samurai or something little like that. Also uni-body frame halves can be connected, frame rails can be boxed, etc... If I end up with one in the end I want to keep it stock looking, but upgrade for easy maintenance because I love to drive any unusual vehicle so I would put quite a few miles on it.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I sure would have asked for my money back from the "professional" restoration outfit. I think I could tape off a data plate blindfolded better than that.

ChalkOutline

I sure would have asked for my money back from the "professional" restoration outfit. I think I could tape off a data plate blindfolded better than that.

I guess it depends on the level of restoration/cost. If it is "parade" quality or driver, or show. The level of detail and quality is proportional to the cost. If there were before and after pics we could see what type of work was done.

Austringer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just bought 2 mites for 2500.00 Basically enough to build 1.75 mights out of the two. Will sell the 2nd one when I finish the pair.

Jason

ErmeyFan

That's what I figured. I was thinking along the lines of the axles, motor, tranny and t-case from a Samurai or something little like that. Also uni-body frame halves can be connected, frame rails can be boxed, etc... If I end up with one in the end I want to keep it stock looking, but upgrade for easy maintenance because I love to drive any unusual vehicle so I would put quite a few miles on it.
No unibody to join so that's out.

I've always wanted to find a body that isn't worth restoring and put a light, but durable drivetrain in one so I could wheel it with my modern jeeps.

Mike_Pop

If you look at the pics, it looks like everything in the engine compartment was sprayed OD. The fan shroud is black plastic and there are a lot of other parts that should be bare aluminum.

saddamsnightmare

March 14th, 2009.

Gents:

The M422A1 will run on 3 wheels, the manual said either of the back two could be off, but it was preferred that the left one was the one on. My experience with the #2043 M422A1 (1961) was that she would run on three wheels, didn't matter which one, provided that: 1. the offending member was chained up, and that a counterweight be applied on the side that had two wheels on it (l or R). I used to use sincrete blocks as a counterbalance to get her home when she threw a wheel (usually the front).
The weak point in the mighty mite was not and is not the frame.... It's the 5/8" OD hub bolts on the front hubs that keeps the hub togather laterally. My original bolts broke throught the cotter pin holes, the nut would unscrew, and the hub and wheel would pull out and proceed you down the road.:wink: So, as these bolts weren't easy to find in the late 1970-early 1980's period, I machined a batch that were longer so the cotter pin hole would be in a second locking nut. That way, if the end of the bolt separated through the cotter pin hole, there would still be a nut engaged to hold the unit togather untill I got home.
Ask Jeff Miller down in Philadelphia if my modified bolts are still on the (Right?) hub of the 2043 mite..... The whole mighty mite was designed for airmobility with the choppers the Marines had the (Skiorsky H's, I believe) and to get around the existing willys jeep patents on the front end drive. In any case they were agile, fairly fast empty, handled like no other FWD in the world (corners like a Porsche) and will run on three wheels, or three driveshafts, whichever comes apart first.
The light weight was less then a MG Midget, so I don't think there was much room for modification regarding the axles or the drive train... the M422A1 was about 9' long overall, the M422 about 6 to 9" shorter. The engine was a V-4 of about 107 CID (I think) American Motors design, sounded like a VW beetle on steriods at 45 MPH!
I was told that there were about 6,000 made originally, many were abandoned in Vietnam, I would doubt that there are over 150-200 in the states still running, and very few with the original aluminum windshield.
Just my two cents worth for your consideration.....
I would bet a solid Mighty Mite would run you about $8,000 to 10,000, just buy a Swiss Mog, they'll do almost the same work and are a lot more robust. Footnote, Sgt. Carter in "Gomer Pyle USMC" is often seen driving a Mighty Mite.:-D

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan

Last edited:

rockman

I can drive my deuce on three wheels also it just leaves a little scratch on the pavement....

like your photos at the NWMF Mike Pop and the other videos on that website are pretty amazing showing what the Mogs can do.

Bill

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks