• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Engine?

TaylorTradingCo

difference

If there is no difference in them mechanically, I think I would want a "Hercules" motor. It just sounds strong! But you shouldn't pay more for a name.

Derek Taylor

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Actually, if you were to do a search, the White motors have a record of breaking more. Don't know what the difference is, just what was reported. I agree they should all be built to the same specs though.

D8dave

It don't matter what engine you got the military gave the same blue prints to each contractor to build engines to the same specifications so engines are all the same the only thing i have seen is adjustments in valve trains and injection pumps have helped build more power. not one maker or another that is a wives tale.

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No problems with the White motor in mine. Ran it 976 miles in 0 to 10 degree or worse weather without any engine problems except ruptured heater core. Starts super with no help on cold mornings. Most of the truck owners around here with Whites have no complaints.

emr

all the same, some people always see something different in the same things, sometimes i do too, its human nature, my white was the easiest starter i ever had, well there are other people who have had continentals that were reall easy starters, actually all deuces are easy starters, but what they hey,these are used motors and they all seem to have held up so well its just what is that amazing thing about an M35 , the multis are all awesome,they can be tweeked and u need to spend a few days reading other posts to get the best understanding listed anywhere in the world right here...about all the things that are different and yet the same, ...old story here, ...Randy

phataux

thanks guys i understand the blueprint were given to the contractors to build the same thing ....... for some reason i didnt think of it that way i just thought they would all put their own engine in the truck and the truck was the thing build to milspec but again thanks you guys have answered throuly just like i planned

FreightTrain

Banned
Ummm,Blue prints,Government standards,Contractual requirements...don't really mean a hill of beans.I work for a company that makes Government parts.Well,Sub Government contractor.We make parts for another company that makes them for the government.Numbers get fudged.Other thing get written off on.Etc.All depends on who makes them.I am sure that the Herc,Cont,White contract things had the same thing so technically they are NOT the same engines.White sounded like they had the biggest bunch of "I don't give a care,Close enough" workers with their higher failure numbers.

OD_Coyote

I don't have much experience with White engines, but since I just picked up a White 465-1C last month I am hoping it is as durable as the 465-1D Hercules that was in my last truck.
So far the White cold starts better than my Hercules. Time will tell, but so far I like it.

jim-m35a2

Continental developed the multifuel and lost the contract to Hercules. White bought Hercules. In a nut shell, Hercules and White engines are the same except the year of manufacture. I believe at one time the engine tags listed "White Hercules" as the manufacturer of their earlier engines.
________
Lovely Wendie

Last edited:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have no idea which is better. Kind of a Ford/Chevy thing but I can't belive you could have three identical engines that came from three different companies. Different companies have different quality control standards and maufacturing processes and I bet the Government didn't check them out that good.

Kind of like the peanut butter company. If you make food you have to have USDA inspectors on site any time they are running production. If this plant was as bad as they say it was, where were the inspectors? They were either on the take or just didn't care.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks