Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Lam Son 719--Living & Transporting

General
    Thanks

Here's some photos of the way these truckers lived, at least the few times they could get back to their camp---most these photos are from the 523rd area, up around Vandergrift I believe, sorry I don't have an expanded knowledge of all the trans units most of what I know is from my 523rd brothers, but please don't think they were an exception, across the board it was nothing any trucker would want to go through again---here ya go--a life style--the better side-------------Driver
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Driver523 For This Useful Post:

cucvmule (04-29-2018), Guyfang (02-08-2018), jbayer (05-02-2018), jeffhuey1n (05-01-2016), silverstate55 (07-05-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 15,989 Times in 5,313 Posts

I salute and support your efforts Driver...keep up the fire!!
    Without guys like you and uglyranger some of us would never have known Guntrucks existed, nor would we have know what the transportation folks went thru trying to support everyone else.
    I'll tell ya this...as a retired grunt I have a whole different view of transpo folks and others after meeting you, ugly and the others.
    I agree with whoever said this threat needs to be moved to the Guntruck section.
    Your comments, pics etc. need to be seen and not be lost in the shuffle!!
    Ignorance can be educated and crazy can be medicated but there is no cure for stupid.

Thanks

Default Lam Son 719

just a footnote to this thread,interesting reading for this topic,THE PRICE OF EXIT,by Tom Marshall,published by Random House publishing,covers in pretty good detail about the helicopter units that participated in this little excurssion into Laos,of 659 helos assigned to this operation,444 would be shot down,American casualties would be 215 KIA,1402 WIA,i know this is not about ground transport,but really gives an insight into what kind of effort the American forces tried to do for the ARVN during this time,really good reading ,and i read a lot,thanks to all who served our country

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to butch atkins For This Useful Post:

cucvmule (04-29-2018), Guyfang (02-08-2018)

Thanks

The South Vietnamese government claimed that 13,341 NVA had been killed against 5,000 ARVN KIA/WIA. American estimates put the ARVN losses at 10,000 which amounted to half of ARVN forces committed to the operation.
    The losses to US Helicopter Forces were 65 Helicopter Crewmen KIA, 818 WIA, and 42 MIA. 618 US Helicopters were damaged, including 106 totally destroyed, from 30 Jan - 24 Mar 1971.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Uglyranger For This Useful Post:

cucvmule (04-29-2018), Guyfang (02-08-2018), jbayer (05-02-2018)

Thanks

You give me cold chills with the pictures and stories you're telling. my Aces & Eights is a tribute to you who came back and the ones who didn't. I hope we never let people forget. I hope we have good people to do it again when we need to. JT
    The older I get, the more I know I don't know, but how I love a Deuce

www.jatonkam35s.com

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jatonka For This Useful Post:

cucvmule (04-29-2018), jbayer (05-02-2018), lamson719 (12-09-2015)

Thanks

Default Operational losses

wont get into a pi##ing match about these figures,the numbers i posted are a direct quote from the afore mentioned book,pg 171,however would like to read where these figures were obtained from,so lf you could help me out by telling me what books you read ,i would appreciate it ,fascinating subject ,the war is winding down due to US policy of Vietnamazation ,but we invade Laos and Cambodia,doesnt minimize in ANY way the contribution of our armed forces to a completely assanine political and military policy from Washington DC ,again thanks to all who served,and those who continue to serve this great country of ours,GOD BLESS THE USA

General
    Thanks

After loosing the Protector the 57th began rebuilding it, this time it would be called The Executioner, then after only a week the 39th Trans Bat. suffered another loss, The Ace of Spades went over the side of the road after the road gave way, the Truck tumbled way to far for anybody not to get hurt, the crew I believe was McGuire as NCOIC, Dan Powell, Jack (Rabbit) Turner, and Michael Ray Hunter driving, they also had Tina with them, she was Mikes monkey and she went everywhere with them, the Ace was her home as it was for its crew--the gun truck crews were real personal with their trucks, not only was it home but also a huge source of pride, they would go through the gates of **** in these trucks for their convoys and felt their trucks would always bring them back, leaving a truck was at best the last resort, the Ace tumbled down that embankment throwing the gun crew from the box, the box then began coming apart, sheets of armor were scattered around the truck number 114, The Ace will be back, but not for awhile, and not before terrible hardships by more then one crew---its not going to get any better for any of the trans units and especially for the 523rd---Lamson was terrible in all respects, this is only the truckers side, there should be a movie made of this whole operation, I don't believe that one book or all the reports can do justice for what these soldiers went through-----crews went out and picked up what they could of the equipment from the Ace--the truck was never recovered, during the recovery hours after the accident they found Tina, in true crew fashion she stayed with the truck, she was the last one off----Michael Ray Hunter from Elberry Mo. died on the Ace that day, he was 20 years old---RIP Mike--------Driver---------oh yeah---I THINK Powell went home, Turner went home both from injuries, McGuire I have seen pictures of after the accident and Tina was takin back to the company area and well takin care of by everyone---again-------Driver
    Attached Images Attached Images

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Driver523 For This Useful Post:

cucvmule (04-29-2018), Guyfang (02-08-2018), jbayer (05-02-2018), jeffhuey1n (05-01-2016), lamson719 (12-10-2015), silverstate55 (07-05-2012)

Thanks

Butch: Here is where the figures came from:
    http://www.a101avn.org/LamSon719.html
    I did a Google search "Lam Son 719" and came up with that information.

Corporal
    Thanks

One thing figures don't tell you is every one of them a hero every one of them sorely missed every one is still on patrol watching out for his buddies. They still got your back. God Bless the Gun Truck riders and all Nam vets!

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bazookajoe For This Useful Post:

cucvmule (04-29-2018), lamson719 (12-10-2015)

General
    Thanks

A lot of switching around of trans units was going on--evedently they were trying to figure who would do what, the Gyspy bandits (572nd) were attached to the 39th trans Bat. and started line haul missions to Vandergrift, the 585th was moved from Gia Le north to Tan My Ramp--the 585th would pick up cargo at Tan My and deliver it to Camp Eagle near Quang Tri, As things are being moved around its about to get ugly---real ugly-------Driver

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Driver523 For This Useful Post:

lamson719 (12-10-2015)

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast