• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Importing a Deuce to Canada?

efritsch

Hi!

Name is Eric and I just registered.

I have been doing some reading on the idea of getting a duece here in Canada. It seems it would be difficult but not impossible, but does anyone know what exactly I need to do to get one here?

Is it possible to buy one through a US Government Auction and importing it here?
Would it be any easier to buy one that is already registered to a private owner in the US and importing it that way?

I'm appreciate any information or links that anyone can provide. Ever since I drove one for a few minutes a while back, I've really been interested in getting one. It would be useful for a lot of things, especially hauling/towing.

Thanks Again,

Eric

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your best bet would be to find one already there. It is illegal to buy one from an individual and drive it there. I think if you wanted to buy one here and have it exported it would have to be through a company with an export license (like say CSI) but that would be extremely expensive and I don't know if they can only sell to govt's or if it can go to individuals but I doubt it.

efritsch

Why is it illegal? If it is a privately owned vehicle, why would that be any different than buying a different private vehicle and importing it?

I'm not trying to do anything illegal, I'm trying to assess what my options are for getting a Duece here.

So far, it is much easier to find one (private or government surplus) in the US than it is here. Most likely due to the fact that the US Military is so much larger than the Canadian Military and thus, there are simply that many more vehicles available.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Go to GL's web site and read about End Use Certificates/Exporting it will become more clear.

wsucougarx

Why is it illegal? Plain and simple, because it is. I don't mean to be smart alec but laws are laws and I definately would not want to jeopardize our hobby by knowingly doing something illegal. Sorry, probably not what you wanted to here but there it is. Just as it has been said, try and find something up there.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Q: What is a Demil code and why is it important?
A:
A demil code is a code assigned by the Federal Government that identifies the level of required demilitarization. Demilitarization refers to the reutilization of property previously used in the government sector into the public sector. All items on the <A href="http://www.govliquidation.com/">www.govliquidation.com website will have one of the following three codes:
  • Demil code A - Demilitarization not required. No restrictions on resale.
  • Demil code B - Demilitarization not required. Trade Security Control (TSC) approval required prior to sale completion.
  • Demil code Q - Commerce Control List Item Demilitarization not required. Trade Security Control (TSC) approval required prior to sale completion.
Demil B or Q property are auctioned together within Special Commoditiessales and require the completion of an End-Use Certificate to be approved by Trade Security Controls. These lots will be identified with a
below the Lot Title. Demil B or Q property cannot be sold to any foreign entity.

Please note that the Federal Government reserves the right to change the demil code on any given item at any time. For a more details on demil codes, please click here.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe Dave Newman (Eastern Surplus) has a license to sell to Canadian citizens. Dave advertises on this site. Good luck!

papercu

Doesn't the Canadian Army use the M35 under a different name? Why not buy one of those.
Canadian Forces Land Force Command adopted license built versions of the M35 (and M36 variant) in 1982, built in Canada by Bombardier. As of 2008, the trucks, designated MLVW (Medium Logistics Vehicle, Wheeled) were still in service. Canadian vehicles featured an automatic transmission, six wheels instead of ten (but still with dual rear axles), and an ether-start for winter operations. Wayne

Last edited:

efritsch

I am an Amercian citizen by birth, no I don't need to run off and get married.

Yes Papercu, the Canadian Armed Forces do use the MLVW (M35) but finding one, so far, is exceedingly difficult. Apparently the crown doesn't like selling Surplus MV's to the public.

BKubu, thanks for the lead. I'll look into it.

Sumoman

If you have dual citizenship maybe just move here, buy one, and then scramble across the border with hopes you will not be hunted down like a rabid dog:twisted:

WPNS421

It is very easy to export a M35 to Canada and perfectly legal. I have 2 of them and we did all the paperwork required which is next to nothing. You need a legal bill of sale, a legal title signed over to you. You send all the paperwork to the port where the truck will cross and Borders and Customs require a 72 hr notice to process the paperwork. The truck is then brouht to the border crossing BCP does their inspection stamp the paperwork and you repeat the process at the Cdn Border. As stated call Dave Newman at Eastern he will legally sell you a truck and help you export it. The price will be approx $6000.00 + but the truck can be driven home. As for having a Canadian deuce, yes we have a version of the M35, I have 2 of them. It's cheaper to buy a legal truck than marrying an American woman

jim-m35a2

Does anybody know what type of paperwork would be needed for me to buy a MV in New York and drive it through Canada to Michigan, or would it be cheaper and quicker to drive it the long way through the USA?

Jim
________
NEXIUM SIDE EFFECTS

Last edited:

WPNS421

All you need is the title to the vehicle, proof of insurance and a plate or temporary trip permit. If the truck is plated Cdn Customs will only ask you the usual questions and let you travel.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks