• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M274-a2

happierthanyou

i recently purchased 2 M274-A2 mules. i am curious how much they are worth? one of them is in decent shape. needs a few parts but the engine hour counter says 024... maybe it has only 24 hours? the bottom of the engine is clean and the top is nice too. the deck has all the covers. all the tires are good.

The other one is just a rolling chassis with the transmission and drive intact. missing random parts like the gas tank, engine, and steering box.

I don't know anything about military vehicles and i can't seem to find any for sale, so i hope someone here will be able to give me a ballpark figure on the value of these mules.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Welcome to the site!

Can we see some pics of your Mules?

happierthanyou

i am on this site trying to find out what they are worth. yes it is my ad... all i know is there were 3600 of them made... i saw a few for sale in excellent condition for $15k and $30k. i am not looking for wise cracks from people who got a great deal. i am looking for facts. i want to get as much as i can for the 2 that i have. if they are only worth $20 then i need to know that. i will put up some pictures soon. i am looking for someone who knows about how much i can sell these for. in my opinion a vehicle that has a production run of only 3600 is worth alot more than $1800 so i would say mine are worth at least $5k for both. "dieselsmoke" if you can refrain from wise cracks please advise.

BillF

value also depends on who is looking and how many people want them. i know in the mv mags they are advertised restored ready to go from $5000-6500.

zb39

We will need to see pics to really advise you. I have had mules for over 15 years. I have never seen one sell for more than $7500 unless it had a recoiless rifle on it. That said, anything is possible. It looks like your in CA and from what i see ecerything there is pricey. Good luck, might try G503.com also.

happierthanyou

here are pics of the "good" one... the other one is being cleaned. i will post them as soon as i can. there is a guy in oroville, ca that said he will give me $1500 for them, but, he is a shop and said he would pay no where near what i could get from a private party... so what do you guys think.

Attachments

happierthanyou

"""value also depends on who is looking and how many people want them. i know in the mv mags they are advertised restored ready to go from $5000-6500.""

are these 100% OG or are they full of resto parts?

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I gave $1750.00 for mine when I lived in Cali. in 2008. It also is a M274a2. It ran great...electric start etc. It needed re-upholstery, tires, a few seals etc. From your pics, I'd say yours is worth between $1,500.00 and $1,700.00 if the one pictured is the runner. the parts one is worth quite a bit less...parts are not that expensive (Bill Watson mule parts).

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mechanical Mules of America sells the most expensive ones i've seen (just over 10K). If they have the recoilless rifle they are in their own price range. Usually restored mules go between 5-6500 dollars. Restorable ones like yours vary drastically depending on all kinds of things from location to demand ect. Me personaly, I would think somewhere in the mid/low 2K range is where yours would fallout. NOS parts are plentiful but expensive. Just the seat yours is missing is around $200. Does it run? Needing major engine work will change the price too. Also there are alot of MV varieties that have very low production numbers.

happierthanyou

from what i have read the a2 didn't come with electric start... bill watson sells reproduction parts right? not OG NOS parts. the a2 had only 3600 produced. that isn't very many.
the mule MAY run. i got some gas tank solvent to clean out the tank and i will put fresh fuel lines or clean the ones that are on it. the pull start is broken so it has to be pulled with the engine compartment open. it has compression. the oil looks new, and so does the air filter! clean! i am guessing it will start with fresh gas but maybe not. anything i should be weary of when trying to start it? any adjustments? let me know.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A2's did not have electric start, though it is a very popular addition. Most of Bill Watson's stuff is NOS. I have bought some parts that he had reproduced and they are identical to NOS parts and could not tell the difference. The 3 big parts suppliers are Bill Watson, David Kelone, and Mechanical Mules of America. The A2 was the most produced M274 with 3609 units and the A5 (which I have) was the least with 874 units. If you can get yours running it will probably sell alot quicker and for more $$$$.

1 Rocky

2300.00 better take it I just picked up a 1969 A-5, traded a sks rifle for it , has compresion, and mostly complete, needed tires though,and no electric starter
with it.

Rocky :grin:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks