• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

NSN, Acquisition values and build dates questions

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi,

I have a few questions for y'all in comparing the following information on a couple of trucks:

NSN# 2320009260875, Acquisition Value: $82,645 (F7: Unservicable/Reparable)

NSN# 2320009260873, Acquisition Value: $56,832 (FX: Serviceable/Reparable/Salvage)

1) Is it possible to deduce the approximate year of production or other vital data based on the NSN or acquisition price?

2) Why else is there such a price difference between these similar trucks?

3) Does the condition code (F7 vs. FX) convey any important state of condition insight to anyone considering bidding on the truck? (IE, major vs, cosmetic repairs needed).

Thanks,

Rick

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
answers:

1) Not really
2) They are SIMILIAR, but not the same.. A dropside W/W is not a dropside WO/W.
Sometime Uncle needs a small quantity of an item and it's not produced anymore. A contractor will make them in a small quantity, but the cost will be much more than if Uncle bought 100,000+ of the same item.

3) Not at all... Condition Codes are just about useless in determining true state of the item. You need to go inspect the item personally..

As a side note, factory built dropside deuces W/W are pretty rare. Not many of them out there...

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
2) They are SIMILIAR, but not the same.. A dropside W/W is not a dropside WO/W.
Sometime Uncle needs a small quantity of an item and it's not produced anymore. A contractor will make them in a small quantity, but the cost will be much more than if Uncle bought 100,000+ of the same item.
emmado,

Chicken or egg question:

Is the NSN a description of the traits of a truck used for classification purposes or is the NSN the orders given to the manufacturer describing the characteristics of the truck to be built?

Sorry if my newbness is running high at the moment.

Rick

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
NSN is the national stock number. It is a stand NATO code to relay the specific item type of equipment. The NSN is broken down into

FSC-Federal Stock Class --in this case 2320 which is for unarmored wheeled vehicles. There are a bunch of FSC's and they are shown as your searching on goveremtn liquidation

Country Origin Code--in this case 00 which is a early US code. We also have 01. British is 99 I think. Austria is 21. Never really had much experience with others.

The NIIN- National Item Identification Number--- is a unique number provided to equipment types. It's like a number nomenclature and is somewhat random but no 2 NIIN's are the same. All M35A2 standard bed cargo trucks without winch are NSN 2320-00-077-1616. All of them with winch is 2320-00-077-1617. By the NIIN being random I mean that the 077 does not mean anything specific, nor does the 1617.

The serial number differineates one M35A2 with winch from another. The serial number is akin to the VIN of a vehicle. The registration number is akin to the title number (if we think of the Army as one big state in and of itself). It can change but only in very rare circumstances.

The description of build is provided to the contractor/manufacturer in a Statement of Work. This is a contract and the contract number is assigned to the entire series of vehicles in that contract. There is actually a website that deals with bidding on federal contract...I think it is the contractors business daily or something like that.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks