• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Does any one have knowledge or photographs of civilian based 80’s three wheelers?

FrankUSMC

On the Life Presurvers, you put it on your kid upside down, tie the straps wrong, or around the kids neck, he gets hurt, you and your lawer team sue the goverment. Easier for them just to destroy them......sad.
I will bet you a cold one that is why the ATVs were destroyed.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

Somemedic

I have a KLT250, working with racks. Dont believe its mil but its pretty cool. Not sure why they werent more popular than hondas...

The hub on the left side "locks out" by turning a dial, just like a jeep, so you could turn off the posi rear giving it one wheel peel. Great for not wearing out the tires and making tight turns on asphault. Once you got into the sand you would turn the dial again and lock the hub and would it go through sand. Very durable and reliable. Electric start only, no kick. Mine happens to be marpat USMC right now.

derby

I think mid 80's is when they forced manufacturers to stop production of the 3 wheelers. 85' I think, because of the dangers of the machine. This may have been the reason for them being destroyed. I have never seen the Kawasaki 3 wheeler before now. If I see one I will know who to contact. good luck on your search.

Lonesome715

86 was the last year they were sold here in the US, but 88 was the last production year. The were sold over seas up until then. If you run across one let me know. I might have some money by then.

B3.3T

"I am so sick of people ruining everything becuase they cannot take responsibility for thier own actions"
They're trying to do it again with the UTV's. But Yamaha just won a big victory regarding it's Rhino.

Lonesome715

There will always be somebody looking for some one else to point the fingire at. I hate them as much as I hate liberals. Oh wait, they are usually one in the same.

RetPara

The trikes were used by Air Force CCT and Army Rangers. Most of the racks used today on ATV's for weapons and such are direct descendent's. The trikes were phased out as more upgraded M151's and Land Rover Defenders came on the scene.

The current ATV's are used a lot in A'stan right now because you can move people with a LOT of **** off road. Roads are not healthy places for people, soldiers and other living things.

Buying any of these as 'surplus' would be like buying an old cavalry horse...

Lonesome715

I got to play with a few of those Polaris's they are running out that way. I thought those machine gut platforms were pretty wild. It would be nice to get one from surplus. But by the time they get to that piont there is not much left to work with.

Wolf.Dose

Once upon a time ther were three whellers and five wheelers made by a company called John Deere just made to military requests and tested in nFort Brag.
Later these vehicles were considered to be unsafe(danger of tipping over in turns). So, the conclusion was to design a new model for that, the Gator aqs a 4x2 and a 6x4 according to the specs. And successfully tested.
If you watch fotos and videos of Irak and Afganistan carefully, Gators are everywere. 6x4 gators were used f.ex. in Bagdad as ambulances for their ground pressure was that low that ever foot actuated mines did not respond. And the latest version of a 6x4 Gator includes a ROPS, LED lightning and a Diesel engine, electric winch, double wishbone front suspension, pintel hook etc.. I have seen one (but could not buy it) about three month ago in the factory in Wisconsin. The colour we would call over here Feldgrau or Grauolive.
They have a very nice beer carriing capacity of right now 1 metric ton.
Wolf

Lonesome715

I would love to see one of them three or five wheeler John Deeres

They are indeed everywhere over there. Some times it was a lot easy to jump on one of them instead.

firefirefire90

i'd have to do some searching, but look on the two forums:

Upcoming Rides
3WHeeLeR WoRLD - Forums, Brochures, Specificiations, Technical Assistance, and More!

I used to be big into three wheeling but not so much now.

I do, however, know that a few police agencies used the 1983-84 Honda ATC250R's which were aircooled 2 stroke 250cc trikes. You can even see them being used either in the Dukes of Hazard series or one of the Smokey and the Bandit movies. I can't remember which. Good luck!

Lonesome715

Hey I remember you. I am on .org and 3WW. I have not been in a while myself becuase life has gotten in the way. However, I still have my Tri-Z's and look forward to getting on them again soon.

firefirefire90

Hey I remember you. I am on .org and 3WW. I have not been in a while myself becuase life has gotten in the way. However, I still have my Tri-Z's and look forward to getting on them again soon.
I too remember you, although I thought you lived in CA but that must have been MWKE. Yeah, I still have loads of trike parts under my bed but i'm now into MV's and old BMW's.. as military/school has gotten in made owning an ATC a little bit more difficult.. Please excuse any of my immaturity from the past, especially on 3ww. Was a young pup back then :beer:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks