• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New guy in North Idaho

Lupercus

Greetings,

Not much to say about myself. I'm a Guardsman from North Idaho. Been over seas twice, and activated for two forrest fires. I signed on as a Combat Engineer but have done about everything under the moon since.

A few months back I came home from Afghanistan with a pretty penny and so I decided to add to my private collection. I finnaly caved and bought a woodland M1008 pickup with troopseats. I am told it came from the AK ARNG but I'll have to check into that. I purchased a M1919 after my Iraq tour, and it realy is too heavy to carry so why not get and MV for it right? You know how it goes, it always starts with a small buy and then you have to keep going. The beast has a few dings but the real damage wasn't obvious at first. After freeing up the rear brakes I learned I needed to replace the rear axle. It cost me half as much as the rig but I got one. Had a few other issues but now I've got it to a 2 wheel driveable state. I need to replace the front locking hubs and check the wiring on a few of the bells and whistles. In hind sight I probly could have done better for less, but meh I got my green machine. It runs, and in a weeks time I should have her fully mission capable. Than all I need is a PRC-77.

To sum up: Some one needs to have a long chat with the AK Guard about PMCS. A lot of the damage resulted from the mechanics not reasembling parts correct.

Lupercus

Replies,

I live in Moscow. I grew up in Montana and moved out here for the Naval ROTC program at the U Idaho. Did that for a year, then decided to focus more on my studies. I came to the conclusion this wa the place I wanted to call home. Than a war up and started so I did what needed doin.

The member at the UI wouldn't by chance own the 81st BDE duce behind the Fire Dept?

I'm down in Boise till sunday night but I rarely am this far south unless the guard sends me. Normaly my range is Lewiston to Spokane with a rare trip to the Seattle Tacoma area.

BillIdaho

Welcome. Thanks for your service. I live in Caldwell.
South Idaho says hi! If you need anything MV related call Alex at Idaho Motor Pool. Tell'm I sent ya.

Lupercus

Welcome. Thanks for your service. I live in Caldwell.
South Idaho says hi! If you need anything MV related call Alex at Idaho Motor Pool. Tell'm I sent ya.
Funny you should mention that. Alex sold me the rig actualy. I might have to swing back by his shop at some point to see if I can get a tow bar and post mount for the back

Lupercus

Just got back from Boise. Threw my duffel bags into the back of the CUCV and drove it home from the shop. It was gratifying to finally drive the machine under its own power even if I did have my hand out the window to signal the whole way.

The speedo, fuel guage are inop and the service drive toggle currently has no effect. I'll try to get som pictures in the morning to post with a few questions on the CUCV section.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As folks have already said, Welcome and Thanks for Your Service.

I'm a UofI grad and you might know my former room-mate CPT Mike McDonald from Grangeville. We were in the 1/161st Infantry in the WA Guard and then in the 1/303rd Armor in the WA Guard also. He was out many years until ID was headed for Iraq then he reinlisted as a 41 year old 1LT. He's a good guy and knows a lot about vehicles if you get the chance to talk to him.

Lupercus

He's a good man, he had to sign off on my guard plates actually. He lead one of our sister platoons when we went over. I pulled the armor patches sewn the castle onto his DCU's. When we got back they promoted him and put him in command of our company. I have been proud to serve under him.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
He's a good man, he had to sign off on my guard plates actually. He lead one of our sister platoons when we went over. I pulled the armor patches sewn the castle onto his DCU's. When we got back they promoted him and put him in command of our company. I have been proud to serve under him.
Ask him about our swim test when we were in ROTC. But he might be too embarrassed to tell you.

Norseland

Yes sir thanks for your service,

So which terrain had the most crazy weather, Afgan? or Northern Idaho?

Ive heard about Idaho, from a couple we met in Hawaii, something about mountain passes becoming closed

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome Dustin. I used to live right up the road from you in Spirit Lake. Sure miss the scenery (just not the snow).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks