• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

power driven trailer

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not that I'm going to do this but I was sitting around thinking today :idea: and wondered about this. Could you take a M105 and put a deuce axle under it and power it off the rear axle output of the deuce? I'm thinking something like a PTO shaft on farm equipment to run from the truck to the trailer. Seems possible but I could be just crazy :cookoo:.

vtach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe if one fabed up some kind of fiber of spring shaft it could be possible. It might make the trailer travel kind of squarrelly though.

zb39

Your going to have to control sway and movment on the trailer. Some kind of 4 link setup??

Militoy

You need to buy yourself a Gama Goat. :razz:

Seriously - the engineering work that had to go into a roadworthy 'trailer' that is capable of providing drive power is considerable. Be happy with the traction and the simplicity of maintenance that you enjoy with your deuce. If you have trouble pulling a trailer up a steep slope, you can always unhitch and climb with the deuce, then winch the trailer up behind you.

If you are serious about this science project - then I suggest you look into the design of the Gamount Drive System.

jatonka

That sounds very interesting. And any thing that is interesting is possible. There is a current issue US military vehicle that has a powered trailer. PLS maybe? If I had thought of it, I would already be working on it. As it is, I think too much already. JT out

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I brought this up I was just kind of thinking out loud. I have no need to do this project just curious if anybody had thought of doing this and if it would be practical. Some people have already brought up some valid points as to why it may not work.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The only modern in use US vehicle that has a powered trailer is the Mk-48 LVS... Thats it.

The Gamma Goat is one thats also powered, but not in use.

tm america

if you could make a stub shaft to bring the pivot point out to the same pivot point as the trailer that would help things not bind upc.uz if you ran it how it is you would need a really long slip yoke so the shaft wouldnt bottom out while turning i thought of doing that .i say do it you'll find out what you need to fix once you get it hooked up just test it offroad where you not gonna get into an accident if something goes not quite as planned take lots of pics

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
As stated above this dead horse has been beaten before....that being said I have always been a fan of oddball projects.
How about a driveshaft like the ones used on tractors to connect to bushhogs or other equipment...they have a shaft within a shaft that allows a lot of flex.
It would be worth pharting around with just to see if it can be done.
I prob have enough junk laying around to try it...just got to get the new shop built first.

tm america

it could be done and be usable just think of the driveline angles on a baja truck on the front they have like 20inches of travel plus the compound angle of the wheels turning you will probably need double cvs on each end of the shaft and a shaft that has 18inch or more slide to it.but you need to have the shaft mount right under the pintle hook or it could hit the hitch when going through ditches

blackdiesel

Well, I run my firewood prossesor off my deuce front flang. With a AG drive shaft. And in 3rd gear and 18 mph at 1800 rpms the shaft is turning around 1000 rpm. I would hate to see what it would be turning at 2600 and and 55 mph. I don't think the shaft was made for kind of abuse.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks