• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Here we go long distance deuce recovery

jatonka

I did 7000 miles to the Pacific Ocean and back this past summer, in my M109A3 shop van Deuce. Granted, I had the truck in condition, with new tires, some extra sound reducing tricks too, but you will do fine, Wreckerman and you can check her out good before you head out for home. If you are looking for any advice, the first thing comes into mind is: Don't push that engine over 2300 or 2400 RPMs. It will live a long while at that speed.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good Luck! Keep Us Posted! My Toyota rode home in the M-36 that I got from wreckerman. Emergency dismounts might be tough but a little planning and finding a railroad siding or a freight terminal with a ramp might be a godsend.

wsucougarx

I sure hope you have an airride seat in that deuce. Other than than, check and top off all the fluids, change the oil, keep at least 10 gallons of extra diesel in back (just in case), bring another spare tire if you can, bring a GPS for gas stations etc, and a fully charged cell phone. You should do just fine.

Green_gator

When you finish this you may have to change your screen name to Iron A**! I have done two 1,000 mile recoveries and have two more scheduled for the coming months. Do not push the engine and make sure that you have the basics tools and fluids with you. I found that some iPod ear buds under the regular ear muffs helps pass the long hours in a deuce. Something to think about is sun screen if you burn at all. I like to ride with the window open and either have to use sunscreen or wear a long sleeved shirt. Take plenty of water to drink and some beef jerky and you will be okay. Good luck and take pictures.

usmc deuce cpl

Well here we go the journey begins. I am getting going a little late but i got my bumper and towbar done last night and now i am waiting for paint to dry. should make Boise, Id. tonight and then make a 800 mile jaunt on friday. then i should be back to 650 mi days. Should be in Alabama on sunday night or monday morning. I will service truck and go over truck and leave on tuesday morning.
The pictures will be forth comming. I will keep in touch. Thanks for the support.

DanMartin

Assuming you average 50mph, that's 16 hours of driving the first day....actual driving time, not stops or resting.

I would plan on 12 hours a day and pace yourself. I know that driving the 450 miles back from Idaho to Portland was exhausting enough in my deuce (did it in September...hot!). Doing that x5 or 6 is going to be really tough.

Drink fluids, pace yourself, and enjoy the ride.

DanMartin

What route are you taking back?

I would recommend a more southerly route this time of year. I just came back from Denver on I-80 and I-84 to Portland. Clear roads and not too many big passes. I would avoid I-90 right now...probably still snowy up there (I know Portland and Seattle might get snow this weekend).

100dollarman

Man you have some adventurous cajones!!!! Sounds like a great road trip!

My bit of advice for you- I travel across country alot and I have found that I can cover more ground if I dont try to drive too long in one day. Drive 12-14 hours and then get a nites sleep. Repeat.
Driving too long and far and all niters will catch up to you after a day or 2. Its better to pace yourself a bit.

Good Luck, and have fun!

ps- I wish I could buy Deuces out this way for $880! Several went for over $2500- even $3000 today here at auction!

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Take pictures when you stop. stop at interesting places, like truck stop diners and the occasional "junk store" along the road, various holes in the wall.

This will make the trip more fun, less wearing, and if nothing else it gets the blood flowing to take a little walk every 3 hours or so. get coffee! Drink some gatorade because the wind dehyrates you. Mr. 'empty gatorade bottle' is your friend at times too. That was taught me by a Marine. Trust me I have done a few road trips of 2-3Kmiles. Others have done more. Hope everything goes well.
OORAH!

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Man you have some adventurous cajones!!!! Sounds like a great road trip!

ps- I wish I could buy Deuces out this way for $880! Several went for over $2500- even $3000 today here at auction!

I saw - which is why I'm skipping GL for now and just coming to see you! LOL

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks