• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Here we go long distance deuce recovery

usmc deuce cpl

Thanks guys I made it to Ontario, Or. tonight. could have Boise tonight but the weather didn't behave. I will make up for that tomorrow, I hope. Thanks for the KIND words that sounds something like encouragement. HAHA. Will probably post an update tomorrow night.

ohnuts

I just made a Redstone Recovery and had great luck. Four hundred and twenty miles home and my M35A2 ran better every mile. On pick-up the truck had two flats in the rear but looked intact. The truck was started on a jump and out the gate we went to WALMRT. The truck took a gallon of antifreeze and no oil. Guages came up steady and drove down to the Michillin tire store on University Drive.

Gave a nice yound man ten dollars to air all the tires. One tire would not air because the tire stem had been torn out of the tube. Went to The Mc Grif tire company on 1111 Putnam Drive 256-895-0123 office, 1-800-388-2805 roadside, and they pulled both my far rear right tires and installed a tube.

Purchased two tractor batteries, cable, two gallons of antifreeze, one tube, labor and tax to remove and mount two tires, $272.00 Great service and great guys.

Batteries wouldnt run the buzzer twenty minutes after the truck was shut off so I purchased two truck screw post batteries and we blocked and strapped them in. Using a new cable after market to crossover electrical connections, fired right up. There there was a slight leak on the floor of the garage, looked like the oil pan. The truck had the firewall and hood coated with a built-up oil but it looked like an old dried leak, I was proven wrong.

We pulled out of McGriff and got on the road and headed north. The first twenty gallons had a Lucas cleaner in it and the truck ran right through the twenty in no time, say 4 miles per gallon. The second tank lasted for ever and got us out of Kentucky and into Indiana. The third tank took me sixty eight miles and still says 3/4 full. Started the truck comming out of the McGriff garage and turned it off in front of mine in Indiana.

The truck soon developed a fuel leak that just won't show with the hood open and seems only to leak on the road under power. The fuel was hitting the firewall and coming into the cab through the pedal holes and any open hole it could find.

My Dad who decided he wanted to be chase and Mom came along to keep us legal. Dad being an old driver himself looked at the pattern and said he thought it would take alot more fuel and a hotter sourse to catch fire. All the leak was on the drivers side of the engine .

Ruff year for the family and we were having such good time I decided to go for it. With my truck that had strong brakes and a strong runner that just getting better.

If it caught on fire it would have been the high point of the trip.

We kept the cameras ready and ran from the state of ALABAMA. Teresa let me in an hour early and was very nice. The guys on the lot drove a truck over and jumped mine, very polite and timely. There was this huge forklift moving trucks around and I just cringed. Saw the M36A2 that just sold get its fuel tank bent up in the process.

On the pictures of my truck after the trip you can see all the fuel that leaked out. Dad with the chase van called once to ask if I was tired, I had weaved a bit . I said no the glovebox had an Army roll of paper towles in it. And I was moving wads around to soak up the fuil on the floorboard. So after that if we had the road all to ourself I would tear off a wad and call back to say I would be dancing for awhile, and not to worry.

The truck stayed wet but never got any worse than the innitial flow and the leak was not to be found. New steering gear box and collum. Drives as easy as an F150, except curves.

Lots of pictures in my album, more to follow.

Last edited:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I talked to Dave this morning and he said all was well and they were making good progress.
He will not leave here unprepared.
I am stripping a deuce and have a spring seat if he wants it.
He will also have at least two good spare tires.
My buddy across the way has a large supply of very clean used veggie oil from when he was running his diesel Ford on it. If Dave wants to carry it and mix it 50/50 he can get it for a good price (he spent a lot of time and money on his filtering system).
I also have several hundred gallons of waste motor oil too but he may want to stick with straight diesel to be on the safe side.
On the upside diesel is getting cheaper. I paid $1.96 a gallon yesterday in GA for it.
Dave's deuce is sitting in the motor pool right now enjoying the company of the other deuces and trailers out there.

ARYankee

Well if you come by Arkansas (The Little Rock Area) I would be glad to help if you need it. Sounds like a fun road trip. I'm still waiting to pick up mine in Little Rock and now I'm thinking about bidding on one in Iowa. I'm a little nervous about getting one from out of state especially since I can't really go and look at them. I did get to go and look at the one I won before I bid. It does seem though there is a lot of great people on here willing to help out.

usmc deuce cpl

Howdy guys. I made good time today despite a lot of the white stuff. Made it to Cheyanne Wy tonight.
Probably going to go through KC, then St Louie, and down through Memphis. I will pribably have to call wreckerman and figure out the best route to his place.
Took some pics but will have to wait till i get home to download. Missed out on some cool scenery in Wyoming, to dark to take pics. Maybe Catch it on way back.

Green_gator

Howdy guys. I made good time today despite a lot of the white stuff. Made it to Cheyanne Wy tonight.
Probably going to go through KC, then St Louie, and down through Memphis. I will pribably have to call wreckerman and figure out the best route to his place.
Took some pics but will have to wait till i get home to download. Missed out on some cool scenery in Wyoming, to dark to take pics. Maybe Catch it on way back.
Kansas City, St. Louis then Memphis. Sounds like a BBQ trifecta! :drool::drool::drool: I am planning on packing some out of San Antonio for my trip east.

Desert Deuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did a very long 2000 mile recovery to pick up my XM816 5 ton Wrecker a year and a half ago. I always shoot for about 500 miles a day and always get a good nights rest. It took four full days. 56 mph most of the way.

2000 miles in a 5 ton has to rank right up there for long recoveries.

Photo below was taken a couple weeks ago. Wrecker took 1st place in the 5 Ton class at the Papago show in Jan of this year.

Attachments

usmc deuce cpl

Wooho! Made it to Odessa, missery, ops Missouri tonight. I would liked to have gotten to KC but this works. I should be able to make wreckermans tomorrow or at least close. I was figuring on 450 to 500 mi days on the ride home. Will probably be 12 hr days but that is better than the 14 hr days we are putting in on way over. The weather on this trip has not been the best but considering the time of year it could be worse. I mean it could be cold (below 0 deg), knock on wood. Thanks for all the replies and support. Till tomorrow goodnight. Iron a.. I like that.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Diesel prices seem to keep dropping (around here anyway). Saw 1.779 today. Hope you find some that cheap or cheaper. Oklahoma seems to be a good place to score inexpensive fuel, or was last trip I made through there.

usmc deuce cpl

Made it to Alabama tonight. I am probably a spittins distance from wreckermans place now. I will be calling him in the morning to go and pickup my truck. I know that when i leave his place on tuesday morn I will be good to go.
I will see if Wreckerman can help me to post some pics of truck and trip over.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks