• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Here we go long distance deuce recovery

usmc deuce cpl

Well I'm still alive. Made it to memphis tonight. going to stay here for the night and go into memphis equip in the morning for some wiper blades, rear seal for transfer case, and a new housing for speedo. It is frayed and I think leaking oil. I have to try and slow down the leak.
Thanks wreckerman for the pics. I will have more when I get home and download camera. Thanks guys for all the support. Other than the oil leak the truck is running good. I think this truck sat for a while, but now with some new fuel and some miles it is funning up to snuff. Even getting 8 mpg. Will have to see what I get when I get to Wyoming and the real hills.
Dave and Dad

OD_Coyote

Dave - That is a nice looking truck. I would be interested in hearing what you think of the springer seats after your cross country drive. Have a safe trip and give me a holler if you need any help.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Well....no report from the guys as of 2300 Wed......Dave called me this morning and said they were going to Memphis equipment and then head out for points west.
Maybe no news is good news.
They had plenty of spare parts and tools, extra fuel jugs and a dozen of BL's chocolate cookies in case of emergency.
Maybe they will check in tomorrow.

jatonka

I met Dave and Dad at Memphis Equipment this morning, They have a great looking Deuce, I told Dave to enjoy himself and look at the trip as a memory being made. He sure does have some adventure ahead of him. Safe Trip, have fun. John Tennis

usmc deuce cpl

Howdy my friendly green metal officianados! I made it to 30 miles west of St Louis, Mo. The truck is running good but the transfer case is leaking out or every orifice that has a seal in it. And then some.
I think that the front drive output shaft seal is leaking the worst then the input seal from the trans. I think the rear out shaft seal is weeping but i dont think it is bad. the usual leaks of an old truck.
I am trying not to have to try to change seals out but i may have to stop again. I stopped 3 times to check the oil level and add if necessary. Everything behond the fuel tank is getting covered in gear oil. Will have to take it easy if it rains, might be a little slick.
Got some parts from memphis equip to change the speedo cable and either got the wrong part or the part was manufactured wrong. With the new cable and housing the seal that screws into the transfer that the sender gear screws onto, the seal failed and filled with gear oil and up to the spedo gauge. odometer works not the speedo. been a while since i had to drive by the tach.
Thats all for tonight gents. Will update tomorrow night. Dave and Doug

crazyplowboy

:ditto:the vent on top of the Tcase was plugged up on mine and as the case warmed up a little the pressure built up and started pushing oil out of everywhere possible.

usmc deuce cpl

I had that deck plate off once but that would be a quick fix. It looked like new but that doesn't mean anything. Thanks for the advice. will update tonight when I stop again. Dave

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Earlier it was posted that you plugged a leak with copious amouts of silicone. That wasn't the vent was it? That could cause these problems.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is an amazing adventure, one that you will always remember! The whole point of living life is to take on an adventure from time to time. Looks like you are getting your share of scenery and excitement! Adventures like this give life a more intense meaning. This is a geat story, keep us informed! I wish I could be there with y'all, even, following along in my own truck.

Adventure
Ad*ven"ture\ (?; 135), n. [OE. aventure, aunter, anter, F. aventure, fr. LL. adventura, fr. L. advenire, adventum, to arrive, which in the Romance languages took the sense of "to happen, befall." See Advene.]

1. That which happens without design; chance; hazard; hap; hence, chance of danger or loss. Nay, a far less good to man it will be found, if she must, at all adventures, be fastened upon him individually. --Milton. 2.

(Milton is saying here to leave the wife at home!)

Risk; danger; peril. [Obs.] He was in great adventure of his life. --Berners.

3. The encountering of risks; hazardous and striking enterprise; a bold undertaking, in which hazards are to be encountered, and the issue is staked upon unforeseen events; a daring feat. He loved excitement and adventure. --Macaulay.

4. A remarkable occurrence; a striking event; a stirring incident; as, the adventures of one's life. --Bacon.

If by some chance I should perish in adventure,
No matter how uncertain or ill-advised,
Then all will know I'd to boredom no indenture.
And that I was a magnitude more alive,
Than those who sit on couches in their parlors,
Ever fearful for excitement more to strive. -- Opcom

The Young would heartily engage adventure,
but they have not the means to engage it as their own master.
The Old can well afford to take adventure by the horns,
but they can ill afford the perils provided by its earnest pursuit. -- Opcom

Last edited:

wsucougarx

This adventure is definately an inspiration. Once before, I thought 170 mile deuce recovery would be too long. Now I am contemplating an 1900 miles deuce recovery. Got the plans in the making, just need to secure one more deuce:wink:

jatonka

Dave, the t-case vent is on top and looks like the vent on each of your axles. It must rotate loosely and push and pull up and down a little. It will push fluid up your speedo cable too if it is plugged . Take care, John T

usmc deuce cpl

I some how got dropped from the server when i hit post. We made it to york, Ne last night. It seems to take soo long to get through missouri the way we went. The vent was plugged, but it is still leaking. Not as bad though. I have 2 of the 3 seals and the gasket set for the transfer. Have the manual for the truck and it doesn't look to hard to replace the 2 seals that are leaking.
I put the rvt on the cover that the vent is in.
I had problems with the steering lock on the jeep. chewed up a tire a little. unhooked the jeep and drove it around, didn't feel 100% so i got it loaded in the truck rather than chance further damage.
What do the say about well laid plans. Thats why they call it an adventure!
Thanks! Dave and Doug. Talk to you tonight.

wsucougarx

Hey Dave, I've got a bone to pick with you now. You've got me planning for a 1800 mile deuce recovery now....:wink:. You have now opened up the possibilities of long distance recoveries for me. Just one thing though, don't tell us about the backside inflammation issues:razz: I need to stay focused on the positives:wink: Waiting to hear your next log

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks