• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need some ether start canisters.

Tarne67

Best price/place I have seen for the Quick Start ether canisters is from the manufacturer at 21.80 a bottle +28.50 hazmat shipping + Shipping. Its only a good price if you are buying a few of them. Other than that they range from $40-$50 from supply stores and dealerships I think Volvo could order them at $48 a pop.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I get starting fluid at W.......... for 2$ a can. I only had to give it a one second squirt, one time when I forgot to plug in the block heater.
The ether start systems provide a metered shot of ether much safer on the motor , and only spray when the motor is cranking.

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My 1972 M35A2, formally North Dakota National Guard, had one installed when I bought the truck. Over the course of several years, I’ve located a few cylinders. I have a couple I keep for those days when nothing else works. Well below freezing and I hate standing in the cold, scenarios. I’ve no idea if commercial trucks use the system but if you check with the various surplus enterprises, you’ll find them. At one time Eastern Surplus carried them. Might check there. When the temperature here drops to 14 degrees Fahrenheit, I like having the convenience of sitting out of the wind for the invariable multiple starts caused by extremely cold temps and less than stellar starting abilities.

davidb56

The ether start systems provide a metered shot of ether much safer on the motor , and only spray when the motor is cranking.
starter fluid usually has a lower percentage of ether than ether canister starting systems. starter fluid also contains a small amount of lubricant, as ether is a solvent. There are very few incidences (none in my 50 years around engines) of catastrophic engine failure from starter fluid, although there is always the nimrod who doesn't know the difference between a 1 second squirt into the air horn, versus dumping the contents into it. So if people want pay for a ether starting system...great. I'll stick with the spray can on the rare occasion I need it. It does get a little cold in my area too and can stay that way through most of summer..DSCF0066.jpg

davidb56

BTW, if you are in a area that drops below -10F a lot, you could install a 24vdc intake grid heater if you are constantly in a environment where the 120vac block heater isn't a option. I considered using a 12vdc intake heater from a Ford power stroke diesel until I found out my deuce fires right up with a small shot of fluid in - 15F when I didn't plug in the heater. With the block heater on overnight, it fires right up (cylinder walls are warm) but I need to re route the cab heater intake to pull from inside the cab instead of outside. even at a 50F temp rise through the heater core, it just isn't going to blow warm air. NAPA auto stocks those canisters in my area for those who want them....at 60$. I think they fit the Kat Ether System.

Last edited:

rustystud

starter fluid usually has a lower percentage of ether than ether canister starting systems. starter fluid also contains a small amount of lubricant, as ether is a solvent. There are very few incidences (none in my 50 years around engines) of catastrophic engine failure from starter fluid, although there is always the nimrod who doesn't know the difference between a 1 second squirt into the air horn, versus dumping the contents into it. So if people want pay for a ether starting system...great. I'll stick with the spray can on the rare occasion I need it. It does get a little cold in my area too and can stay that way through most of summer..View attachment 779136
At the transit department we sometimes needed to gave a bus a small shot of starting fluid or Brake Cleaner to start. In winter the old Detroits and old Cummins needed a little "extra" kick to get going. Never hurt anything. Like you said David, just use common sense and don't empty the can !

rustystud

With the block heater on overnight, it fires right up (cylinder walls are warm) but I need to re route the cab heater intake to pull from inside the cab instead of outside. Even at a 50F temp rise through the heater core, it just isn't going to blow warm air. NAPA auto stocks those canisters in my area for those who want them....at 60$. I think they fit the Kat Ether System.
I've been thinking about adding a cable controlled vent to shunt the air flow from the outside to the inside on really cold days too. It's seems the winters are getting colder around here these last couple of years. Last winter we stayed at around 15F for a week. For the Puget Sound region that is really rare ! At my home we have also gotten 3ft of snow for the last two winters. I know you guys in the Mid to Upper Mid West experience colder weather but for us here that is getting real cold !
Maybe time to add a "fuel fired" heater.

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The ether in the canisters is greatly different from the easy to obtain spray cans. The ether in the spray cans has had so much stuff added, cylinder lubricating oil, etc. to prevent the sniffers from using it that the effectiveness has been greatly reduced as we see it. We have an Eaton 3000 loader with a 6v-71 Detroit in it. It is a good engine in well maintained condition. We tried the spray cans and it is almost like spraying some kind of oil mix into the intake tube with no start help. We could get to where the resulting spray could puddle as a liquid in the bottom of the intake pipes just before the blower and no start, lying in the bottom like an oil. We installed one of the canister start kits like is being discussed here in the intake tube just before the blower. Just a quick pull and push of the triggering cable handle and it is off and running. We no longer use the spray cans.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was always told to use WD-40 for cold-weather starts...has the formulation been changed to prevent its effective use anymore?

davidb56

I was always told to use WD-40 for cold-weather starts...has the formulation been changed to prevent its effective use anymore?
No WD40 still works BUT it doesn't stay atomized very long, so its like a 2 person job if you don't get back into the cab real quick. Everything here discussed about cold starting and which type of ether etc has not taken into consideration on the overall condition your engine is in. A tight engine with good injectors will start up easier than a sloppy engine with lower compression and poor atomizing injectors. My wore out Kubota will not start with any amount of starting fluid in the winter, but it doesn't need any if the block heater has been plugged in for a few hours when the temps drop below 10F. My John Deere fires right up without any assistance of any kind.

Celticlady

I live in NW AR. Apparently the 5132/Kat canisters are not stocked anywhere around here.
The people on SS who said they had some no longer do.
Any ideas?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks