• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fox owners, check in

kcimb

How have your foxes been? Reliable? Trouble free?

I've seen a few for sale in the UK for relatively cheap. Are they worth it?

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I hope you're not referring to the M93 Fox. You'll be waiting a LONG time for an answer, I don't think they are legal to own, or none have ever been released. Kinda like asking if anyone owns a M109 Paladin - perhaps 1 person does, but does he/she log in here?

msehring

the fox is a good vehicle, make sure you start with a sound vehicle first. I have worked on them and they are not difficult to maintain.

Bow-man

Mine has been great so far, though I must admit that I haven't driven it as much as I'd like. A friend of mine's son sat in it for over two hours, flipping switches and such. He ended up turning on the power and forgot to turn it off, so the batteries died. I need to replace them asap and get the beast up and running again. I'm almost embarrassed to mention this but $%^& happens, you know.
It is definitely British. It is small, too. If you are over 5'11'' you'll have difficulty getting into the thing to be sure. being a Hobbit myself it's not too bad.
It also depends on what you consider "cheap". I think, by and large, the best thing about it is the "cool" factor. Armor is just hard to beat, imo!

Malyutkaman

I've had my Fox about 10 years now and to a certain extent there is a learning curve involved with driving and maintaining one. When I first got the vehicle out of the container it was low on brake fluid so I filled the reservoir with Dot-3. BIG MISTAKE:oops:, it took alot of flushing to salvage the system (Foxes use mineral oil for brake fluid). They're fast and top heavy so they can be dangerous around corners. With all that said it has been the most fun out of any other vehicle I've owned. If you want to learn more go to Alvis Fighting Vehicle Society forums and you will get a better picture of what it takes to own one.

doc76016

Bought mine in March. It had been sitting inside for a couple of years so for the last few months we've been going over everything: bleeding brakes, changing fluids, etc. Finally brought her home last weekend. Everything works except the alternator won't charge. I also have a Mk2/3 Ferret. Although they share a similar hull profile they're very different. The Fox has much more pep, a more complicated electrical system, and is a bit more cramped inside. The 30mm Rarden barrel on the turret adds an impressive "cool factor". I've been toying with the idea of adding concealed speakers and canon and machinegun sound effects.

doc76016

Well, old age has caught up with me. I just ache too much for too long after driving the Fox in parades and at events so Im going to reluctantly put her up for sale. Will post an ad in the classifieds in a minute.

doc76016

Well, old age has caught up with me. I just ache too much for too long after driving the Fox in parades and at events so Im going to reluctantly put her up for sale. Will post an ad in the classifieds in a minute.

doc76016

Cant seem to post an ad. Not sure why. Maybe its because I haven't been on here in a while. Sorry.

B3.3T

I have owned two Foxes. When running properly, they are a blast to drive around. Great speed and great disc brakes to match. HOWEVER, there are tow huge weaknesses regarding the mechanical design. The Alternator/fan drive system in very prone to failure both of the drive belt and bearings. On operations, the belts were changed WEEKLY by the crews to help prevent failure. It was not always enough. The second major consideration is the gearbox. Less than 300 Foxes were ever built and the transmission is unique to them only. These are weak, and extremely complex. They are also extremely hard to find. Due to the design, it cannot be replaced by anything else, and you will not be repairing it yourself. Lastly, to remove the transmission, virtually everything else has to come out first. I have seen a brand new gearbox destroyed in under 30 minutes by someone using the gear change pedal as a clutch, even though told otherwise.

martinwcox

I had the option to buy a Fox when I purchased my Scorpion, in some way I wish I had BUT the spares and complexity was a worry. Just like a Ferret, that is not a clutch peddle as B3.3T points out and unfortunatly most people have never seen let alone driven a vehicle with a preselect gearbox.

Us Brits had a habit of making mechanical nightmares, Abbott power packs and CET come to mind..............as the REME guys would say "when is a CET not a CET, when its running" LOL.

Robin Craig

At work we have a Fox, sadly sat in a 20 ft sea can on hold until we can get time to get at her again. Broken fuel tap bodged by someone puts everyones lives at risk so withdrew it from use until we can check the whole vehicle over and see what other stupid fixes this clown sold us. When it ran it was great but now its a lemon. Sahme because it is an elegant vehicle and purrs nicely. One comment, the fan assembly bevel box was designed to be water proof and so it builds pressure with heat, I feel this is a design flaw and is why it pukes the seals so easily. We removed the fill plug on the bevel box and using a same sized thread bolt drilled and tapped that for a brake line and put an gas line filter on that and thereby made a nice breather that stops the fluid going past. I that is a modification worth doing.

regards

Robin

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks