• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

GL ads are back

KsM715

Yes I agree its a good thing for members who are selling to get interest in their stuff. but it drives the price up if Im bidding on something on ebay then somebody posts it saying "hey everyone look at this". Im not complaining about it. Just doesnt seem right to me to do it for one thing and not another.

All military stuff is interesting to me also I just wanted some guidence on if and how to ask "what is it" and "will it fit my truck" without getting banned from the site. I have figured out how to do it with out mentioning where its at. I wanted to make sure I could do that without getting in trouble.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
cant be all auctions. we have a forum dedicated to member and non-member ebay auctions. thats specifically states post stuff you find while surfing here
It has been a rule that ebay auctions are ok but GL, GSA, etc. are not for some time. Don't know why it's that way.

If you look at it this way it will make more sense. Would you post a GL auction that you were planning on bidding on? I wouldn't because even though just about everbody here checks GL almost daily there is no need need to bring more attention to your find.

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Personally I think this online collusion crap is total BS!
If it were a live auction and we were there, we could see / hear who is bidding and decide if we wanted to bid against them.
The way I see it talking about it on a forum is no different.
And if GL is behind these don't talk about it rules, I wouldn't accept their advertising.
but thats just me and my principals.

End of Rant

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR
Aint nothing anyone gonna do about the GL ad's and I havent even red the whole thread. They take up room on the site but they pay money. So at least SS wont be hitting any of us up for money.

datsunaholic

Advertised items are NO exception to the rule. We are NOT to talk about any Auctions that are active... no way, no shape, no form.

Real Simple.

That seems like an overly strict interpretation of the rule, as the rule doesn't say anything to that effect. In fact the rule itself leaves a door open: "Very unusual or interesting items may be shared in the appropriate forums."

If a total ban is what the rule means in the Forum Rules, it should say that. It's open to way too much interpretation if the rule was meant to be that strict. I've gotten yelled at by one particular member who also happens to be a reseller (but not a moderator) for commenting on an oddity on a couple lots that someone else had a question about. Maybe they didn't like that we were discussing something he wanted, but in my mind giving someone info they can use to make an informed decision on which, if any, lots to bid on is hardly a punishable offense and I didn't see if being a "frivolous auction posting" which is what the rule says. It's not collusion. It just seems like over-protectionism on the part of the resellers here to try to force folks to buy through them.

MilitaryRestoration

sheesh people... not difficult... and you are making this more than needs to be...
just respect others and dont talk about auctions either coming up or currently going.
there is nothing like knowing most people wont know about something that you are bidding on and that you want, to then find a post with info leading to it and even worse a link direct to it... be courteous of others, regardless of the already enforced SS forum rules. have some common sense.
If for some reason you still personally feel you 'need' to talk to someone about some auction, call someone on the phone or something, but dont need to post it and make it public
2cents!

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
GL Ad

Okay, WE can't talk about an item being at a certain GL site but they can run ads on this site?

Seems kind of like a double standard.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
G L is paying to post on this site.
Well I didn't think they were getting the space for free, but every time someone says "hey what is this at so and so" we get screamed at for collusion. Still going to happen if I say "look to the left at that 1009 at Redstone?"

Blythewoodjoe

A couple of things,

I open the page this morning and there is the very truck I bid on yesterday. No I don't like it.

Next, where the hail is my SF-97 for the truck I bought last month. Come on guys, it's the frigin law to provide the thing here in SC. It's not that hard. If other "sponcers" where braking the law would we keep them around? That's all I will gripe about on that subject.

Lastly, DON'T BUY A TRUCK OUT FROM UNDER ME AND THEN ASK ME TO HELP YOU PICK IT UP! I think having GL on here make that happen more. If you don't have a way to get your new prize home, don't buy it. Since GL is the worst about picking stuff up (no ebay for sure) don't buy from them if you can't pick the truck up during business hours or can pay for shipping (or unless you have a friend, real friend not a stranger on SS, that can pick it up).

I realise we need the advertising dollars, but there are a few things that GL and the rest of us could do to make it work smoothly and they are: SF-97 AND OUR COMMON SENCE.

You may return your regular progamming now.
Joe

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I didn't think they were getting the space for free, but every time someone says "hey what is this at so and so" we get screamed at for collusion. Still going to happen if I say "look to the left at that 1009 at Redstone?"
Who "screamed" at you? You guys are way to dramatic. I have read several peoples posts that state they were yelled at, scolded, chewed out, busted, etc.... No moderator has taken any disciplinary action, ever, as far as I know of, about auction posting. Has anyone been banned, temporarily or permanently, ever? Quit your whining and use the FREE site(donations always welcome) to help yourselves. If you can't use discretion, or the rules are too hard to interpret, we will help you. Just because a post or thread is edited or removed, does not mean anyone is in trouble, relax and enjoy.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Who "screamed" at you? You guys are way to dramatic. I have read several peoples posts that state they were yelled at, scolded, chewed out, busted, etc.... No moderator has taken any disciplinary action, ever, as far as I know of, about auction posting. Has anyone been banned, temporarily or permanently, ever? Quit your whining and use the FREE site(donations always welcome) to help yourselves. If you can't use discretion, or the rules are too hard to interpret, we will help you. Just because a post or thread is edited or removed, does not mean anyone is in trouble, relax and enjoy.
Okay, "screamed" was a harsh word. How about "have our hands smacked?" Humor and irony are totally useless in typed conversations.

So, about that trailer at Ft Sam...

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Still to harsh, we simply tell you. If it is more than that, we will let you understand the "severity" of the conversation.

Agreed, it is difficult to get the humor or tone, of the posts. Try using the emoticons!:wink:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lastly, DON'T BUY A TRUCK OUT FROM UNDER ME AND THEN ASK ME TO HELP YOU PICK IT UP! I think having GL on here make that happen more. If you don't have a way to get your new prize home, don't buy it. Since GL is the worst about picking stuff up (no ebay for sure) don't buy from them if you can't pick the truck up during business hours or can pay for shipping (or unless you have a friend, real friend not a stranger on SS, that can pick it up).

Joe, and all, when it is an auction, we all know how to win one. Living near a base, puts me in a position to buy more, and help more. How can you hold it against someone that won an auction(that you also bid on) and they won it? Whether they know you or not, why would you think a "stranger"(SS member that does not have close personal friendship with you), would concede to you, just because you said you were also bidding on something? Why feel negative to a person, because they won? Just some thoughts, and, I do(believe me I do) know what it's like to be beat in an auction, and then have a person ask to help. GL uses bidder numbers for a reason.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Still to harsh, we simply tell you. If it is more than that, we will let you understand the "severity" of the conversation.

Agreed, it is difficult to get the humor or tone, of the posts. Try using the emoticons!:wink:
You're assuming I was just talking about the moderators - I wasn't. Just look at some post where a newby went over the line and see all the posts afterwards telling them not to do that and 90% at not from the moderators. I have great respect for the people who run this site and have no problems with the rules and abidding by them (I especially like the quote from Mangus telling the guy not to let the door hit him in the ass on the way out).

All in fun and I have no worries or stress to deal with especially here.
:-D:razz::);-)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks