• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

GL ads are back

Blythewoodjoe

Joe, and all, when it is an auction, we all know how to win one. Living near a base, puts me in a position to buy more, and help more. How can you hold it against someone that won an auction(that you also bid on) and they won it? Whether they know you or not, why would you think a "stranger"(SS member that does not have close personal friendship with you), would concede to you, just because you said you were also bidding on something?
Let me clearify (why won't spell check work for me?).

I think a lot of people make bad decissions about auction buying. I learned a long time ago, it's real easy to click a few keys and become the ower of a vehicle but paying for and picking up that vehicle is a little more involved. It burns my butt to be out bid by people who don't have a plan or a clue and then end up not getting the truck. I won a truck at GSA that had been won 2 times before by dummies that couldn't pick it up. My only point with the GL advertising is it only brings out the dummies more. Nothing can be done about it, it just felt good to vent. I do hope a potential dummy read this and thinks before he bids.

On a seperate note, maybe we can have a GL section on the site that would not appear on the main page, like the chaplains corner used to be (or maybe still is). A place where only those looking for answers to GL stuff can go instead of everybody seeing it everytime they open the site. And if a thread gets started about GL stuff, it could be moved there by the mods. Just a thought. I hope none of you guys get your feeling hurt over this, but this is a can of worms that is back and I'm sure will be around a long time. And you can bet there will be plenty of people that will not be happy with GL stuff.

Live long and prosper.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
we shall see. I have a question, are we not supposed to talk about anything listed on GL or just the auctions that are open for bids? Open for bids I can understand (kinda) but Ive seen alot of people asking about stuff thats coming up for auction but not open for bids yet. Ive been reprimaned for that, not from mods but from some one here that obviously has a lot of time and is well known on this site.

I guess I missed that rule. Probably because I didn't read very closely. Sorry. Even though I violated it probably twice since joining no one has screamed at me or banned me so there is some level of understanding for the FNGs. :)

I swear on my salty anchors not to do it again!

jeepin

cant be all auctions. we have a forum dedicated to member and non-member ebay auctions. thats specifically states post stuff you find while surfing here
Its a double standard pure and simple. Either you can post a link to any active "interesting" auction (GL/EBay/GSA) or you cannot. It should be enforced consistently, IMHO

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Let's make it a simple concept.

If it is a government owned item (GL, GSA, etc) up for auction, do not post a link to the auction, or to pictures on the auction site, or any site specific information in any way, shape, form or fashion, period!

If you think it is an unusual item, capture a picture and post it here with an appropriate question on what it is used for (but NOT what it is worth) or with.

Anything else 'could' be construed as collusion, and the government is very harsh about collusion with stuff they are selling. It is far better to err on the side of caution and not post anything, than to post a message that could later, in a court of law, be characterized as collusion. The folks on this site are mainly trying to keep everything as above-board as possible, so THERE NEVER WILL BE A HEADLINE in the news about "COLLUSION CHARGED IN AUCTION" and this site!

Yes, the mention could be to the advantage of the government if they got more money for something that got mentioned, but you might still pay a large fine if convicted for collusion.

M1075

Isn't the site's policy to suppress discussions on upcoming auctions a form of buyer collusion? After all, if the intent is to "keep prices low" then that is illegal. I would prefer open discussions on everything and high bid wins, like it should be.

JeepMan

Still have to remeber, there will always be a strong demand for the Bazer/P/U type vehicles, only a certain amount of people/companies would want a duece or larger so I think they will be in good supply for years to come here.

mangus580

Personally I think this online collusion crap is total BS!
If it were a live auction and we were there, we could see / hear who is bidding and decide if we wanted to bid against them.
The way I see it talking about it on a forum is no different.
And if GL is behind these don't talk about it rules, I wouldn't accept their advertising.
but thats just me and my principals.

End of Rant
GL is not behind it. Its a rule that has been in place since long before they started advertising here.

That seems like an overly strict interpretation of the rule, as the rule doesn't say anything to that effect. In fact the rule itself leaves a door open: "Very unusual or interesting items may be shared in the appropriate forums."

If a total ban is what the rule means in the Forum Rules, it should say that. It's open to way too much interpretation if the rule was meant to be that strict. I've gotten yelled at by one particular member who also happens to be a reseller (but not a moderator) for commenting on an oddity on a couple lots that someone else had a question about. Maybe they didn't like that we were discussing something he wanted, but in my mind giving someone info they can use to make an informed decision on which, if any, lots to bid on is hardly a punishable offense and I didn't see if being a "frivolous auction posting" which is what the rule says. It's not collusion. It just seems like over-protectionism on the part of the resellers here to try to force folks to buy through them.
You know, you are right, it is an overly strict interpretation. Therefore, I should adjust the rule to match its intent.

So does this mean we can talk about the auctions they are advertising?
NO.

Can we ask if someone wants to preview an upcoming auction??
Yes, you do so by making a post saying you need 'something' previewed at a particular location (you can name the location, not the item) and for people to PM you for details.

On a seperate note, maybe we can have a GL section on the site that would not appear on the main page, like the chaplains corner used to be (or maybe still is). A place where only those looking for answers to GL stuff can go instead of everybody seeing it everytime they open the site. And if a thread gets started about GL stuff, it could be moved there by the mods. Just a thought. I hope none of you guys get your feeling hurt over this, but this is a can of worms that is back and I'm sure will be around a long time. And you can bet there will be plenty of people that will not be happy with GL stuff.

Live long and prosper.
GL Pays for the advertising where it is.

Its a double standard pure and simple. Either you can post a link to any active "interesting" auction (GL/EBay/GSA) or you cannot. It should be enforced consistently, IMHO
You are right. I think its time to just state NO auctions, including ebay (unless you are sharing your own as a seller) I have been considering adjusting this rule to encompass ebay for some time.

Now... for everyone who is complaining AGAIN about the GL rule and ADs.

GL pays for the ads. They get ads. They DO NOT pay for us to post and talk about auctions... why should we give them all that free advertising. Everything we talk about here shows up within 24-48 hours on a good google search. So posting an auction here... BANG, right at the top of Google really easy. So now that auction you thought you were sharing with just your friends here is now VERY public. Do we really want that? Honestly... if you cant find your own GL auction.... You shouldnt be bidding anyway :)

To those who state by blocking conversation of the auctions is itself a form of collusion... that may be so, but its the SAFE tactic for us to take as a site. Nobody is going to come after us and file lawsuits because we chose to ban talking about auctions here, to prevent collusion from happening on our site. You might be right... in all technicality it might be a 'form' of collusion, by artificially keeping the prices lower. But considering you are free to have conversations privatly about the auctions... I really dont think thats too much the case.

Lets get back to our regularly scheduled program now.....

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR
:roll:I agree with what Mangus said on quit talking about them beacusae they show up on SS in a google search.

Also good call on making it a rule on not being able to post the link to any live auction exept for your own.

Relax guys now we dont have to donate as much money to keep SS going , GL pays there ":roll:hard earned money:roll:" - Jay

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does anyone know how to get coffee stains off of a keyboard and monitor! rofl

Just throw it out and win the pallet of keyboards on GL right now, Event 3899, lot number hahaha!!!. Can't tell ya!:p

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am fine with the GL ads...because their purpose has been explained clearly to me by both Chris S. and Mike. If you want an explanation, ask through a PM. There is never a need to post direct auction info. That happens to be my personal opinion but, even more importantly, this is Chris' rule. Don't do it. Don't think about it. This site provides more GL support and advertisement than GL does. They suck! However, guys on this list come to rely on the list to get trucks, info, etc. rather than do things on their own. I know I was interested in the lot of knuckle boom cranes that recently went off on GL. I really wanted to know what truck they went on. I could have posted a question with pictures, but it does not take a rocket scientist to figure out where I may have gotten the photos. So, I kept my mouth shut...tried to search for info...and came up empty handed. Guess what? I did not bid on the knuckle boom cranes. That is the way it works. Don't know if the power steering kit is complete, do some research. Still can't figure it out. Go inspect. Still don't have a clue. Don't bid.

dittle

Why does such a simple thing like the ads coming back up have to cause so much discussion. Most of those posting on this thread have been here a long time; long enough that they were here back when the ads were here before they were taken down after the infamous Event #3621 rants. Most of us are all adults on here so we should act like it; doesn't mean you have to like the rules but you need to abide by them. Remember this site is provided by Chris free to us to use so lets not abuse it and have Chris' generosity taken away. JMHO.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Sorry Mike, couldn't resist. Bruce, I agree totally. If someone has a question on something on GL, feel free to Pm me. I don't have all the answers, but I will try to help the best I can. Mike with the offer I just made, could yoou increase the size of my mailbox? I'm sur I just opened a heck of a can of worms.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks