• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5-ton Detroit lockers needed badly!!

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hi guys,
Does anyone know where I can find a set of two 5-ton Detroit lockers in good take-out condition? I recently sold a USMC 931A1 truck to a fellow member that that I advertised as having had lockers in it because it had the door placard and it was a USMC 939 truck. Unfortunately, he got it home and discovered that they had been removed. He jacked the rears up and spun one wheel. The other turned the opposite direction, which typically means open diff. Video is provided below. Winslow and Mike at White Owl told me they break axle shafts when used in the rear of a tractor with a bunch of weight on pavement. I figure that's why they were removed by the corps. Anyways, I feel like a real butthead and want to find a set for him pronto! I have tried the following without success: Winslow's, White Owl, Jessie Bostick's. I have Tommy Craig scouring the SE US for me and David Doyle is helping me cover the mid-west. Any tips would be much appreciated. If you have a set, please PM me with a price. Thanks!

Attachments

kc5mzd

WAIT !!!
If you have lockers and jack up both tires ONE WILL SPIN ONE WAY AND THE OTHER TIRE WILL SPIN THE OTHER DIRECTION! Your truck could still have had lockers in it.
The way to test is to lift ONE wheel off the ground leave the other wheel on the ground put the truck in neutral and spin the tire. If you have good working lockers the tire will start to spin then "lock".
On a tandem you would have to lift one set of axles and test the other axle. The drive shaft has to be able to spin.
If you have old lockers sometimes they can be stuck open. You would need to put one side of the truck somewhere the tires will get good traction and the other side in the mud. Put it in 3rd or so and spin the tires for up to a minute or maybe two - until you are convinced the traction side is not going to "lock" and start to spin.

hot rod deuce

I also drove the truck around the yard and it only digs two holes with the two rears. I tried lots of things before I gave up and called about them not being there.

kc5mzd

I had a 1969 Chevy pickup I drove for 4 years before I found out it had lockers. I got stuck several times. Only one tire would spin in the mud. Then one day I did a 3rd gear burn out around a corner. As usual only one tire spun. Then all of a sudden they both started to spin. I was taken off guard by the unexpected fishtailing of the truck. I was not sure what happened at first. I pulled over and saw the dual burnout marks. When I got to work I asked how to tell if it had lockers. I followed their instructions and put the truck in neutral so the drive shaft could spin then lifted one tire and tried to spin it as fast as I could by hand. It didn't take much before it grabbed and wouldn't spin. From then on the truck had a good working locker. The only thing I could think of is that it must have sat for a long time and the locker must have stuck open. The burnout must have made it release and start working again.
I don't know how to tell if there is a non-working locker in a truck. I had replaced the axle seals when I first got the truck and never had a clue that it had a locker.

Good luck with the 5 ton! With good working lockers it should be unstopable!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks