• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another M35A2 will not start

rcb

Greetings:
Tried to start my M35A2 non-turbo that has been sitting for over a year.
Ran fine when I stored in heated garage, pump is working, fuel pumps
out of the bleeder on the filter housing on top side. Seems like it is starving
for fuel. Tried heat start, nothing, not even a kick !! Any ideas ???
Do I need to bleed the injector pump or ???
Thanks...
Bob

kc5mzd

I would check all 3 fuel filters. If you turn on the power switch the in tank pump should turn on and would normally prime the injector pump unless a filter is clogged. Bacteria grows in diesel fuel and can clog your filters even if you had new filters and clean fuel when you parked it. It’s a good idea to use a fuel additive that slows bacteria growth before parking it.

mo-mudder

I'm not sure how the fuel lines would take being loosened and retightened, but you can loosen an injector line, 1 at a time with cranking in between, to get all the air out of the lines. Generally, the air would be forced out of the lines anyhow, so air in the lines may not be your entire problem. Did you go thru and drain all your filters like it says in the manual?

scooter01922

Guys, he said he has fuel flow at the secondary's, so the intank is working and fuel is making it thru the filters. No smoke when cranking after sitting could be the fuel shutoff being stuck. Looks like it works on the outside but the little lever may not be moving inside. Remove the 2 screws that hold the cover on the side and clean it up a bit.

kc5mzd

Try the fuel drain at the bottom of the filters with the power on. I also agree with the stuck fuel shutoff cable theory.

rcb

M35A2 May Start Now

Thanks to all who responded !!! I believe you were all right !!! I removed
the cover off the fuel shut-off and the lever was in the off position, what
I don't understand and can not find in the manuals is... is the lever in the
shut off spring loaded to spring back to the on postion ?? The reason I ask
is the rod in the cover which has a spring on it has 2 (lets call them washers),
one on the end of the rod and one about an inch further back. The distance
between the 2 is too far apart to move the shut off lever back to the on position, are they adjustable to move closer together ??. My lever in the shut off is stiff and does not move freely. Thanks for all your help !!!
Bob

wsucougarx

Old post, but it helped me today. My '88 M109A3 has been sitting for 2 years. I replaced the fuel filters today and tried to start her. No smoke coming out of the stack but she was turning over. Read this post, went out and popped off the fuel shut off cover. The lever was stuck closed. Freed her up and Whammo!! She came alive

FloridaAKM

Stuck closed is a non runner!

Stuck open is a soon to be non runner due to a grenaded engine @ the worse.

Glad you got her running again. Sitting & not running is a bad idea for any vehicles & or engines.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks